Post by madimar » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:53 pm

Guys! Sorry in advance but I'm really upset... :o
Could we please evaluate the future possibility to extend the description field length for extensions?
I like to provide adequate information about my modules and contributions and each time I try to publish one I need to lose a lot of time cutting and reducing the description in order to be minor of 2000 characters.
Could it be possible to extend it at least to 3000 characters? Is it possible to include a characters count in order to avoid thousands of tries ?

Thanks in advance...

regards,

M

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
My last mods: Partita IVA e CF | Pro EU VAT Number | Sales Agents | Pricelist Pro

Post by Qphoria » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:28 am

dony_b wrote:I mean look at this guy http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... 052&page=2

All hes doing is adding a <?php echo $heading_title; ?> and charging $10

Or this one

http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... on_id=2621
Agreed.... even with $10 as the minimum... this isn't worth 10 cents.
Then again... if people want to buy road dirt... let them buy road dirt

Administrator

Post by adi_555 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:07 am

Qphoria wrote:
dony_b wrote:I mean look at this guy http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... 052&page=2

Or this one

That would just hurt Opencart reputation. People will never trust on second purchase. If you compare with other platforms, their modules may be expensive but they come with super schemes like lifetime bug free support, 6 months warranty, etc.

Also a wishlist feature would be nice, so that people can organize what all extensions they require on their store.

Post by rph » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:34 am

adi_555 wrote:
Qphoria wrote:

Or this one

That would just hurt Opencart reputation. People will never trust on second purchase.
I think the only thing that matters is whether it's unique functionality that works as advertised. That it's a trivial change for an advanced user or programmer to make doesn't factor too much since that's presumably not the market it's aimed at. It's like changing oil on your car: easy and cheap to do yourself but people will still pay others to do it for them.
If you compare with other platforms, their modules may be expensive but they come with super schemes like lifetime bug free support, 6 months warranty, etc.
I'm interested in which places are offering this. A "warranty" doesn't do much since it's a non-physical product and I'm not sure what "lifetime bug free support" is supposed to mean.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by legshooter » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:45 pm

Some guy bought my extension (language translation + css rtl file), then commented it doesn't work, then commented again saying it was his bad and it does work, and finally claiming there's some minor problem with it. That's all swell, but the bad part is - I see in my account he got refunded! Meaning he got the files I worked on, but did not need to pay for it.

You can view the extension and its comments here:
http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... on_id=4082

I sent an enquiry about it through the contact us page, I hope there's a way this can be taken care of. Kinda bummed about this. Pretty comfortable method for not paying for stuff you get :/

Post by Johnathan » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:14 pm

Yeah, in my experience this happens on occasion. I think Daniel's policy is to try and keep the customer happy, which means the developer loses out every once in a while. I'm not sure if he manually verifies if the extension has the problem the customer describes.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by legshooter » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:24 am

Sorted it out, the guy apologized publicly. The whole "developer loses every once in a while" is still a problem though.

Post by Qphoria » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:17 pm

Ok I fixed the little trick that allowed you to vote for a mod without purchasing by starting the purchase process and then canceling.

I also had another idea to fix down voting.... only use the most recent 10-15 votes for the rating.

Thinking like this. With the current system:
1. You release a mod. Works but has some bugs..
Customers rate: 3x 3-star, 1x 4-star, 2x 1-star, 4x 2-star (10 votes, Avg: 1.9 stars)
2. Two weeks later you update it. Lots of bugs fixed.
New customers: 2x 3-star, 4x 4-star, 1x 2-star, 1x 5-star (18 votes, 2.7 stars)
3. A month later all bugs fixed, added new features,
customers love it: 4x 4-star, 4x 5-star (26 votes, 3.2 stars)

So now the mod is perfect but has a crap rating from problems long ago that are no longer problems.

So my idea would be that only the most recent 10ish votes are used for the displayed stars
- Rating would stay current with the latest versions
- Self-regulating... "dick votes" would fall off over time without long term impact

The main thing would be that we need people to vote, not just buy and disappear. Ironically code bugs feed the need to go back to the extension to vote it down, but the lack of bugs doesn't get people to go back and vote it up.

Administrator

Post by JAY6390 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:24 pm

This sounds perfect, like ebays rating system where it only uses the past 12 months

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by Qphoria » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:31 pm

JAY6390 wrote:This sounds perfect, like ebays rating system where it only uses the past 12 months
yea.. they got the idea from me :)

Administrator

Post by adi_555 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:55 pm

Also adding a sale counter will also help buyers judge on how attractive the module is before making a purchase decision.

Post by Qphoria » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:15 am

adi_555 wrote:Also adding a sale counter will also help buyers judge on how attractive the module is before making a purchase decision.
Not really accurate though. That's like saying a movie is good because is sold a lot of tickets. Lots of bad movies sell a lot of tickets if it has good hype.

Administrator

Post by madimar » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:10 pm

Qphoria wrote: Not really accurate though. That's like saying a movie is good because is sold a lot of tickets. Lots of bad movies sell a lot of tickets if it has good hype.
It can be true but it is anyway an indicator. Don't forget there are rating stars too.
Download counter is present in every app store or software repository website out of here... So maybe it is something useful

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

My last mods: Partita IVA e CF | Pro EU VAT Number | Sales Agents | Pricelist Pro

Post by heg0b00 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:52 pm

I have a question that i am not sure to ask anywhere else on the forum concerning the extension store.

Recently i bought a couple extensions for opencart 1.5.3.1 (using the standard theme) and found out that one of the extensions is generating an error after the installation.

Installation of the module is pretty straight forward so its not an issue of manually inserting a wrong code. On top of that i use the standard theme and meet the other requirements (version of opencart) needed to use the module.

I posted the developer that the module is generating an error and wont work, after one reply he is now silent for more then a week and wont respond to the problem.

My questions is where do i go to get a refund ? As clearly someone is selling a non working module.

Any advice ?

Post by kidsclubhouse » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:56 pm

adi_555 wrote:
Also a wishlist feature would be nice, so that people can organize what all extensions they require on their store.

I second this!!!!! :D
I am new to opencart but one of the many things that drew me to it was within my website I can have a customer wishlist. :banana: The one thing that I hate is that I don't have one myself on opencart so I can put all the extensions I want to get at some stage while 'developing' my site.
I am starting to hate :bash: searching all the time for ones I saw and thought 'hmm that looks good, but not yet!'
Can we have our own wishlist?
Pretty please?! :-* ?! :-* ?! :-* ?!

Location - Auckland, New Zealand

Post by Qphoria » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:49 am

I've added an Export to CSV option under "Your Sales" now that lets you export based on date ranges and order status, for those who want some additional book keeping information.

Let me know if you have any issues.
export-to-csv.png

export-to-csv.png (22.18 KiB) Viewed 5257 times

Administrator

Post by bull5-i » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:05 am

Nice addition!

|V|355 \/\/17|-| 7}{3 |3357, ... [you know the rest]

Commercial mods: New! Questions & Answers PRO - Admin Quick Edit PRO - Product Downloads PRO - Custom Product Tab PRO - New! Product Quick Edit Plus

All mods & extensions by me

Post by Johnathan » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:48 am

Awesome! Thanks -- I've meaning to ask for something like this.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by nosecret » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:59 pm

All solved

Post by marcelwoo » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:47 am

I have just dropped Daniel a line about a newly-discovered bug(isn't it? ;))
I purchased the Questions & Answers extension a couple of months ago. I tried a moment ago to download the the latest mod for opencart 1.5.2.1 and was asked to purchase the license again(There are a couple of versions of extensions there, e.g. for 1.9.4, for 1.5.1.3 for 1.5.2, etc.).
This happens when a new file was added(not reuploaded) by the developer and an old customer tries to download a new version of extension.
Shouldn't we be able to download it as a update mod for free?
Everything was ok when the developer only updates his mod by reuploading the related files.
Hope this bug can be fixed ASAP, as I believe many people will encounter this problem with opencart 1.5.2 released.
Dang... I hope I do not have to pay once again for a updated mod :-\

"We help each other to grow". That's the opencart community!

All free mods
Home Based Ebay business Opportunity(not ads)