Post by JNeuhoff » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:27 pm

I have updated the Export/Import module for OpenCart 0.7.7, see http://www.opencart.com/contribution/in ... tion_id/34 for more details.

It now provides better support for optional category descriptions.

Daniel, can you remove the previous versions which are now obsolete? Thanks.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by bruce » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:45 pm

Might have to do more than that.

The latest version is suffering the same fate as most recent contributions. The downloaded file appears to be corrupted though in my case, it was actually not on the server at all.

Best bet is to mail the latest version to Daniel webmaster@opencart.com and ask him to place it on the server for you.

Guru Member

Post by JNeuhoff » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:38 pm

Try the download now, Daniel has fixed the server.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by bruce » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:15 am

I am loving this contribution... well done and thank you for it.
Last edited by bruce on Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by JNeuhoff » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:31 pm

I have uploaded another update of the Export/Import module for OpenCart 0.7.7. Thanks to Bruce's fixes, it doesn't impose the 255 characters-limit for the description fields anymore and it also makes better use of the memory.

It is now also compatible with the following contributions:

Category Descriptions
(http://www.opencart.com/contribution/in ... tion_id/36)

Featured/Special Offer/Latest Products
(http://www.opencart.com/contribution/in ... tion_id/26)

Hopefully the next release will support the upcoming OpenCart 0.8 version, if I can find the time to do another upgrade.

Guru Member

Post by fisher318 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:59 am

Hey Guys, I followed the export mod instructions exactly. Even went back and re-uploaded the files and followed the steps exactly a second time just to be sure. But when I select export/import option, i have the choice to either select the browse button, or an export button. When I click on "export", i get an error, page cannot be displayed deal. It's an http 500 error, and this is the page it's trying to go to. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated!

http://www.tbflashlights.com/admin/inde ... n=download

Denver Colorado Web Site Design and Internet Marketing | Tactical Flashlights

Post by JNeuhoff » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:26 pm

This is a 'catch-all' error generated by your Web server. Basically something has gone wrong, but the server can not be more specific about the error condition in its response to the client. In addition to the 500 error notified back to the client, the Web server should generate some kind of internal error log which gives more details of what went wrong. See my private message to you a few minutes ago.

J.Neuhoff

Guru Member

Post by JNeuhoff » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:45 pm

I found a patch.

See

http://pear.php.net/bugs/bug.php?id=12693

for more details.

It is now working. This error only showed up in the very latest PHP versions.

Guru Member

Post by fisher318 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:37 am

Yes, it works awesome! Thank you so much!!!

Post by fisher318 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:38 am

Can this feature upload NEW products as well? Or just edited ones?

Post by bruce » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:24 am

When you upload, it completely replaces your catalog with the contents of the spreadsheet. To add new items later, you would first export your catalog to a spreadsheet, add the new values to the spreadsheet and upload that.

Post by fisher318 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:42 am

Thanks for always being there with the answers Bruce. I exported my products, but no descriptions seemed to download. So when I upload these products, will I lose the descriptions? or the formatting of the descriptions or whatever?

Post by bruce » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:25 am

yep, you will lose the lot.

Post by fisher318 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:14 pm

Ok, that's good to know. That's a scary thing. So I guess then the only primary benefit to this module then is the export feature into a spreadshoot to upload into like Froogle or Yahoo product type search engines and stuff which require a spreadsheet upload.

Post by bruce » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:52 pm

I don't know about Froogle or Yahoo but it is perfect for...
  • migrating to OpenCart from an existing datastore
  • doing global updates on pricing
  • a complete refresh from an accounting system where you maintain your inventory, descriptions and pricing.
I loaded and exported (before the latest patch) a test system with thousands of products and hundreds of categories for a demonstration and it was working fine.

Post by jmigsanchez » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:05 am

Hi!
How can I apply the patch? The module has been updated?

Thanks!

Post by JNeuhoff » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:59 pm

Thanks for always being there with the answers Bruce. I exported my products, but no descriptions seemed to download. So when I upload these products, will I lose the descriptions? or the formatting of the descriptions or whatever?
You should always do an export first, then edit the products offline, finally re-import them. During an Import, all the previous products, categories, and options are deleted and completely replaced with the ones from the spreadsheet.

Guru Member

Post by jmigsanchez » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:47 pm

I received an error message saying PEAR.php was not found. In "Writer.php" the line 35 says: "require_once 'PEAR.php';"

So I dowloaded PEAR.php from http://pear.php.net/package/PEAR/download, put in the "admin" folder and it works for me now.

I love this module! Thank you!
Last edited by jmigsanchez on Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by ocw » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:44 pm

I am running the standard dummy version 077 with the following language packs installed: (English), German, Dutch, Hungarian.
There was no error at all when I tried to Export, just a blank page, so I installed the pear module which enabled the Export function and allowed me to download the file backup_categories_products.xls.
I am very impressed by the output because this would make handling the shop as an administrator a quick and pleasant task.
After some editing I tried to Import but the following error halted the process:
Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1
Error No: 1064
INSERT INTO `product_to_category` (`product_id`,`category_id`) VALUES ;

I checked the Products and Categories in the Administration Panel and noticed that only product_1 (MINIMOTO1)was visible - with all descriptions in other languages intact.
In the database only MINIMOTO1 was available, but all categories and product descriptions were unaltered, available in all languages.
You'll have to insert a scan the TABLE `language` for languages and produce the corresponding columns, like seen in TABLE `product_description`.

ocw