Post by akerbeltz » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:01 am

I'm boldly assuming new people are tired of having to guess around how to translate into a new language and that admins are tired of answering the same questions around this issue again and again.

I would therefore like to propose that the localization of OpenCart be officially moved to a site like Transifex (which incidentally is free for OS projects). Yes, I know that I could just set up a project myself but that would be tricky as I'm not a developer and ideally, there would be some process by which an admin grabs the translations from such a site and commit them.
- It would be a lot faster and less prone to errors and admins could be sure that no bad langpacks are released on the public.
- Translation would also go faster because it has a translation memory and you can use po files for translating offline.
- New/Updated strings would be *a lot* easier to find

It's win-win but it would need a little help from the developer team. Thoughts anyone?

Do, or do not. There is no try.

Post by akerbeltz » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:22 am

Seriously? No response from any admin?

Post by akerbeltz » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:45 am

Hm seems like the/a Swedish translator has put it on Transifex here

Would be good if we could find a way of pulling them off there and building the packs automatically though. Thoughts anyone?

Post by rbuelund » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:43 pm

Well - I have now created a project at webtranslateit.com which I think is better than transifex and also free for opensource. I pull the files directly from the github repository and they are updated daily. I can download a zip which I can extract directly language folder ind admin and site. I can add your language too if you like.

Post by rbuelund » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:46 am

I have created a project on webtranslateit.com which I believe is better than transifex and also free for open source projects. I can add your language if you want. It pulls the lang files every night from the github repository. One can download a zip that is ready to upload on ones site.

Post by akerbeltz » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:00 am

Hiya

Thanks for that - I was beginning to wonder if this forum *only* has lurkers ???

I'm willing to give it a shot - it's this one here, right?

Haven't used WTI before but I'm sure they're all very similar. If it works out ok, perhaps we should try and appoint a few admins though, I've been on several projects which fell over because the one and only admin went away and everything ground to a halt.

The fact you can export a zip sounds great, that's one thing that's frustrating about Transifex. So yes please, if you add Scottish Gaelic (gd) I'll check it out and upload my existing files. If it flies, I'll kill the one on Transifex.

Any other languages interested?

Post by rbuelund » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:46 pm

Kan you pm me your mail so that I can dd you as a translator. There is a bit of work to do in the setup process - I'll guide you.

Post by akerbeltz » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:28 am

Since OpenCart is inviting new feature suggestion, I suggested a new, unified localization platform with translation memory features. If you feel this is import, please vote.