Post by rog_ashbury » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:43 pm

On my site http://www.lyndoe.com I've got over 600 products and the improved google base feed got me 22 out of 23 uploaded before hitting an XML error

On my site http://www.shredders-uk.com I've got over 450 products and this time the feed got me 232 out of 233 before hiting an XML error.

I got nowhere with the default google base module before but I'm just waiting for that to run to see what I get this time.

I'm running 1.4.8 by the way.

Seems like a good idea but I just can't seem to get any results out of it. Any ideas anyone?

BTW both feeds are live.

Post by JAY6390 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:54 am

For your shredders site, this item
Ideal 3104 (product id 282) has a problem with the description
This is one thing that internet explorer is good for helping with errors with (and how I found it). Load the feed in that, then read the error message(s) for the feeds, and change your product characters if there's some weird looking ones

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by rog_ashbury » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:43 am

Nice find. I found some ^ characters in there (I use them to replace , (commas) when I am editing csv files and some got left)

I think the problem with the other is there are some (R) characters, but not as I've just typed, the actual characters

I've just updated shredders and I'll do the others in the morning

Thanks a lot

Post by Maansy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:44 pm

JAY6390 wrote:For your shredders site, this item
Ideal 3104 (product id 282) has a problem with the description
This is one thing that internet explorer is good for helping with errors with (and how I found it). Load the feed in that, then read the error message(s) for the feeds, and change your product characters if there's some weird looking ones
jay
how did you find?
i am trying to fix mine as well.
before i used to get an error and 21 out of 34 items inserted before hitting an XML error, but now NO items get inserted.

thanks

ALL Templates :: 1.5.1+ Templates :: 50%-75% PRICE DROP ONLY at OpencartStuff.com

Post by rog_ashbury » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:13 pm

I'm getting there

Now both feeds are failing with the following error

Reference to undefined entity 'Acirc'

I have no idea what that means. A similar error in the shredders feed related to a character in the description. Where I'd used a '-' sign in a prase (eg this switch - called Master - is blah blah) the second use of the sign had somehow been changed for a longer minus sign that I've never seen before and that was causing the problem.

I suspect this error is due to the use of '-' in the use of a domain name ie shredders-uk.com in links I've included in product descriptions. If so I can't see what I can do to overcome it - can't change the names now.

Do you think these errors are being created somehow during the spreadsheet import process because I do all my database work locally on my PC and then import it?

Post by JAY6390 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:18 pm

Ah, yeah I remember this coming up before. This should fix the acirc issue
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... irc#p92198

@maansy - copy the url into internet explorer for the feed ( http://www.yoursite.com/index.php?route ... e_improved ) and wait for it to show the error message and line number

Guru Member

Post by rog_ashbury » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:25 pm

I'll check that out in a minute - I now know it's to do with the '£' sign. So if I have a words like '...subject to a delivery charge of £50 dependent on....' as soon as it sees the '£' sign it rejects it.

I find that unbelievable - can't show any description in Google base that includes prices in local currency!

Post by Maansy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:30 pm

JAY6390 wrote: @maansy - copy the url into internet explorer for the feed ( http://www.yoursite.com/index.php?route ... e_improved ) and wait for it to show the error message and line number
do you see any errors? i dont :choke:
http://www.opencartstuff.com/index.php? ... e_improved

ALL Templates :: 1.5.1+ Templates :: 50%-75% PRICE DROP ONLY at OpencartStuff.com

Post by JAY6390 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:32 pm

You will be fine if you have it as £ rog_ashbury

@maansy - No I don't, which suggests that google doesn't like something in your feed. If I remember rightly someone previously had a whole feed rejected because they were selling something google didn't approve of, so might be worth checking if that is the case. Google should also tell you any errors with the feed

Guru Member

Post by Maansy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:51 pm

that's the error:
Item Nr. Line Nr.
8 562
14 1,094
23 1,903
25 2,071
26 2,157

i checked it with Firefox to find the line #s, but cant seem to see anything wrong.

i remember Google once mentioned something about my Book store Template. i think selling books or book template is the same with Google. they asked me for a type of code for book product which i am not selling books hehehe

well thanks for the help so far Jay

Post by JAY6390 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:02 pm

Not sure, to be perfectly honest, if it's showing in firefox/IE then it must be valid, so can't be an XML issue. Does it actually say what the error is, not just the line numbers?

Guru Member

Post by rog_ashbury » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:06 pm

Done it for shredders

In my descriptions in my spread sheet changed £ for £ which is the ASCII code for the symbol and that resolved the problem. Whole feed now error free in IE so expect the same for my other site.

Thanks for your time Jay

Post by JAY6390 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:13 pm

Great stuff, no problem Rog :)

Guru Member

Post by rog_ashbury » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:53 pm

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Jay. I worked through lots more using IE as you suggested - it doesn't like the TM and (R) symbols or '0' the degree symbol so I just dropped the (R) as the ASCII code I found didn't work and changed '0' to degrees (the word). Also I had a symbol for +/- and just changed it to what I just typed.

So it's mainly symbols that give the problems - but when you work your way through you can get em all sorted.

So both feeds now clear - that's until I forget in the future and put one back in by mistake ;)

Rog

Post by JAY6390 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:01 pm

Well when you do, you'll know how to fix them :D

Guru Member

Post by Maansy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:58 pm

JAY6390 wrote:Not sure, to be perfectly honest, if it's showing in firefox/IE then it must be valid, so can't be an XML issue. Does it actually say what the error is, not just the line numbers?
this is what i am getting:

Feed status summary for data_feed2.txt
19 of 34 items inserted - Processed on Sep 21, 2010 9:23 am PDT

Detected file format: XML
Item Errors - 15 items with errors 15 items affected 15
Too many attribute values for attribute: product type (15 errors)
The attribute product type does not support the number of values provided.
Examples: Examples:

Item Nr. Line Nr.
8 562
14 1,094
23 1,903
25 2,071
26 2,157

Post by JAY6390 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:15 pm

Ah, sounds like you have too many categories assigned to your products and google doesn't like it

Guru Member

Post by Maansy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:52 pm

i will look into this
thanks jay :)

Post by rog_ashbury » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:56 pm

I've now got all my products in except one shredder that has a long description in several paragraphs with a link in as well.

It's rejecting it saying that some characters appear to be invalid and then prints out the whole description perfectly.

I think that we can conclude that Google Base gets bored when it has to read too much and then chucks it out ???

Oh well, can't please em all ...... I think I can live with that one. At least it didn't reject the whole feed - just that product

:)

Post by JAY6390 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:03 pm

It can be something that looks normal but isn't. If you use IE it will tell you what character specifically (which number it is) and you can figure it out from that. Sometimes a space isn't a space, or a - isn't a minus.

Guru Member