Post by Guessed » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:29 pm

I have no stock. I only drop ship from 3 different supplier locations. If a customer places 1 order for 3 different products and each product is a drop ship from a different supplier's address, how can I set up UPS in OC to calculate the UPS cost for each product based on its supplier's address? I need the order's invoice that is emailed to the customer to look something like either of the 2 examples, or equivalent:

Order Scenario Summary
-----------------------------------
Customer A places 1 order for 3 products and each product is located in a different warehouse.

Invoice Example 1
------------------------
product X cost
UPS shipping cost from location X to customer A
product Y cost
UPS shipping cost from location Y to customer A
product Z cost
UPS shipping cost from location Z to customer A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Cost

Invoice Example 2
------------------------
product X cost
product Y cost
product Z cost
UPS shipping cost from location X to customer A
UPS shipping cost from location Y to customer A
UPS shipping cost from location Z to customer A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Cost

Post by labeshops » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:35 pm

I occasionally have this issue as well so have always calculated shipping via weight instead of using zones. It more or less works out correctly - I sometimes have to absorb a small loss for shipping for one order, though I'll make it up on a different one.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by Guessed » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:40 am

Thanks for the reply, labeshops. So, after someone places an order, does OC let you modify your UPS "from" address and make it the address of the source from which you drop ship?

Post by labeshops » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:39 am

Not sure what you mean??

You don't ship from OC so why would it matter what the "from" address is??? Your business address is what appears on the invoice and the dropshipper is generating the label for you from wherever they are shipping from. So don't know why you would want to modify an address in OC???

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by Guessed » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:41 pm

Maybe I don't understand how an order will work. When someone places an item into the shopping cart and shipping is calculated, does it calculate the cost of shipping from the item's location? What if the buyer places 3 items into a cart and each item ships from a different location? How will the cost of UPS shipping from each different location get calculated? For that matter, how do I set up a UPS account with UPS to have multiple locations from which to ship? My UPS account only asks for my address and I won't ever ship from my address, only from my supplier's addresses. Am I missing something in the OC config that allows me to associate each item with its unique location and unique UPS shippng account?

Post by MySweetf » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:56 am

why would it matter what the "from" address is??? Your business address is what appears on the invoice and the dropshipper is generating the label for you from wherever they are shipping from.

Post by Qphoria » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:52 am

This might be a start:
http://www.getclearthinking.com/store/i ... t-shipping

Perhaps it can be modded to support different addresses for the from

Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones

Administrator

Post by Guessed » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:52 pm

Thanks for the feedback, folks, and add-on suggestions.

I read the shipping tutorial for setting up a UPS account with the UPS Developer Kit so that live shipping rates can be shown during checkout, however a UPS account can only have one address. What if someone wants to buy three products, each warehoused in a location different than the one my UPS account is set up with? Is there a way to set up 3 different addresses with UPS so that the buyer can see the shipping rate that applies to each particular item? Many web businesses dropship, so this is a very important capability and critical for keeping rates as low and compettive as possible. If I can't do this, what's the point of calculating the UPS shipping rate for any items during checkout, based on an address set in my UPS account that might be nowhere near where a product might actually be dropshipped from? This is very confusing to me.

I have copied below the tutorial instructions, to show that only one address can be specified to be used as the "from" portion for UPS calculations:

To use the extension, you will need to get the free UPS Developer Kit:
https://www.ups.com/upsdeveloperkit

After signing up, you will be given the following:
- Developer XML License key
- UPS Account Number

You will use that along with other location based data like:
- Origin City
- Origin Postcode
- Origin Zone/State/Region
- Origin Country

After entering all that into the configuration area of the UPS extension, you should be able to see rates being returned during checkout.

Post by Vytenis » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:24 am

Hello, did you find a way how to solve this issue?;)