Post by datasculpting » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:52 pm

Since Google Checkout is being shuttered, I want to set up an alternate to PayPal. I created a business account at Amazon Payments and further created an AWS account as that seemed necessary from what I could tell. For the life of me, however, I can't find looking all throughout either of the account areas where to get or generate the following info:

Merchant ID
Access Key
Secret Key

I see a link to their sandbox but I don't see anywhere to find the above info for an actual/active live processing account.

The information ridiculously hidden.

Post by datasculpting » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:52 pm

And... how does one make the Amazon checkout option actually appear on the store when checking out? I finally did find the place to generate Merchant ID, etc, info on the Amazon side of things, created a sandbox account, put the plugin into sandbox mode but nothing appears during checkout. Put it into live mode, still nothing. And, yes, I have the plugin set to enabled.

Post by datasculpting » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:15 pm

And.... I am only now seeing that the only 2 "marketplaces" listed in the plugin settings are "United Kingdom" and "Germany". Seriously, this is really lame.

Post by alberto.gdedios » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:15 am

datasculpting wrote:And.... I am only now seeing that the only 2 "marketplaces" listed in the plugin settings are "United Kingdom" and "Germany". Seriously, this is really lame.
I´ve been searching about Amazon Payments, and it seems that Amazon Payments (for business) is only available in US, UK and Germany. That´s why the plugin settings are "United Kingdom" and "Germany".

Also I´m very confused about the role of welfordmedia in this plugin. When you go to Create Account, you are redirected to http://go.amazonservices.com/UKCBASPOpenCart.html, but it´s not amazon payments official site. When you go to Sign Up, you go to https://sellercentral-europe.amazon.com, but with some parameters already defined: "marketplaceID=A2WQPBGJ59HSXT&passthrough%2FsuperSource=OAR&passthrough%2F*Version*=1&passthrough%2Fld=SPPAYUKCBAOpenCart"

If you sign up in Amazon Pauments offical webiste is the same?

If Amazon wants to compete with Paypal, I think they should open to all the markets and make things easier for the most used CMS (Opencart, Magento, Prestashop). There are 3 or 4, and a lot of online stores...

Post by datasculpting » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:20 am

I ended up getting the extension "Checkout By Amazon (US / USA)" by integrio. It did allow a proper hook-in to my Amazon Checkout setup but right now I'm working with the developer to figure out why Amazon is adding shipping to the checkout on their end. I only have one product that is shipped to customers, the rest are either membership levels or in-person services, so not sure yet if it's an error on the Amazon side, a configuration error on my end or a quirk/limitation of the extension.

You might want to give that extension a try. If you do, please let us know how it works out for you.

Through all this, where I'm at right now is annoyance at how complicated the Amazon side of things is. I thought PayPal was bad, Amazon takes convolution to a whole new level. First create an Amazon Payments account, then sign up for AWS, then sign up for Amazon Checkout and try to figure out if that will work or if you need to sign up for Amazon FPS. Once you figure that all out, you then have another area to actually manage this merchant type account called Amazon Seller Central. None of these, BTW, are tied together in a single web interface and when you try to switch between them you're often forced to login again & again. Finally, when you're ready to start testing, you put the account in sandbox mode, put the extension in test mode and use account details for a sandbox-created account but Amazon refuses to believe it's a valid login and refuses to take the order details. So then you try to figure out where on Amazon you might have to create a separate sandbox Merchant ID, etc, but such a thing is nowhere to be found. So you can't even do a proper sandbox test because trying to figure all this out from the Amazon side is like trying to find a pebble in truck full of sand.

I wouldn't be bothering with Amazon Checkout if Google Checkout wasn't being discontinued. I would enable 2Checkout or Braintree as alternatives but they each require a credit check which I can't initiate now for business reasons.

Post by darkxer0x » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:55 pm

datasculpting wrote:I ended up getting the extension "Checkout By Amazon (US / USA)" by integrio. It did allow a proper hook-in to my Amazon Checkout setup but right now I'm working with the developer to figure out why Amazon is adding shipping to the checkout on their end. I only have one product that is shipped to customers, the rest are either membership levels or in-person services, so not sure yet if it's an error on the Amazon side, a configuration error on my end or a quirk/limitation of the extension.

You might want to give that extension a try. If you do, please let us know how it works out for you.
I´m from Spain, and Amazon US requires US credit card and US phone. The same for UK and German Market.

Post by hostcomp » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:39 pm

I'm confused - from what I understand the checkout service is available in the US, but the built-in payment module only shows UK and DE in the dropdown. Is this on purpose or a bug that's not been addressed? If on purpose, then why?

Demo: http://sporktines.com/mrgd/admin/ Username: demo / Password: demo123
Admin Options: http://www.hostcompanion.com/make-refer ... index.html
=============================================================
Demo: http://sporktines.com/pcdo/admin/ Username: demo / Password: demo123
Admin Options: http://www.hostcompanion.com/per-catego ... y-options/

Post by datasculpting » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:47 pm

A lot of the payment systems included are European based, probably because OpenCart development is based in Europe.

That being said, it seems rather silly to have a module included in OpenCart for Amazon which limits the countries it works with to UK/DE. I paid for a module that does support US and finally got all the various account verifications done with Amazon only to find that whenever I push an order through to Amazon they are tacking on a shipping fee even though none of the products I put into the cart have any shipping associated with them. I haven't been able to figure out what the technical issue with that is. Even if I could figure that technical issue out, Amazon's Checkout service isn't allowed for non-physical goods (I sell mostly services, no digital products) and apparently their "Simple Pay" service does allow that but every time I go to sign up for that it redirects me to sign into Amazon Checkout and then gives me an error to tell me that my account type is not appropriate.

So after over a week of torturing myself with Amazon, I decided to dump Amazon and go with Stripe which I got up & running in an hour.

Post by aviationbay » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:18 pm

So do we have to pay for the module if using the US version? I'm trying to add a second payment option rather than just use paypal. My site doesn't have SSL setup yet so I like having paypal handle the CC transactions away from my site. Does the Amazon payment do the same or are we required to have SSL installed on the site?