Post by rph » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:12 pm

burley wrote: Dependent options. For smaller webshops this isn't a really big thing, but if the webshops grows it will soon become neccesary.
I've got an extension which does that.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by burley » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:34 pm

I know (which I'm thinking of buying :)), but I feel that it should be a standard feature in any self respecting webshop.

IN addition to my previous post, I have another suggestion;

It would be great if one is able to show, after an order has been placed, which product is shipped and which is in back order. Thus creating an up to date and complete order history.

Post by oscprofessionals » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:30 am

Different product types:
1. Simple Products.
2. Configurable Products.
3. Bundle products.

Team of e-commerce experts.

oscprofessionals

Location - Nagpur, India

Post by luizeduardo » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:36 am

OC2PS wrote:Facebook comments and Facebook login to post reviews are 2 different things. e.g. Disqus and IntenseDebate allow Facebook login to post comments but both are indexed.
You are right, checking again, since november 2011, googlebot has ability to index facebook comments. Well.. lets just use this now, cause its really really much more convenient for users. =)

Thanks for the "request review" extension, we gonna work on it to build a survey instance inside opencart. =)

Post by polaris15 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:07 pm

There is a feature that is missing that i think is quite important. I use RBS WorldPay as my payment gateway but i would like to offer subscription based payments. This is called RBS FuturePay. Would this be something that you could add to the core or do you know of a developer willing to design this for me as a module?

Thanks in advance

Post by OC2PS » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:51 pm

Daniel wrote:Mail Chimp Integration
What exact functionality will this incorporate?

OC2PS
OC 3.0.3.7, vQmod 2.6.2, Journal3 theme
Arcfesték, Csillámtetoválás, Henna
Check out: All my extensions | My FREE extensions

Location - Hungary

Post by burley » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:29 pm

polaris15 wrote:There is a feature that is missing that i think is quite important. I use RBS WorldPay as my payment gateway but i would like to offer subscription based payments. This is called RBS FuturePay. Would this be something that you could add to the core or do you know of a developer willing to design this for me as a module?

Thanks in advance

Not to be a pain in the ass, but I think this is quite a user specific feature. Thus shouldn't be incorperated in the core of OC.

Mail Chimp is a (free) email marketing tool which lets you easily create newsletters, etc.

Post by OC2PS » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:37 pm

burley wrote:Mail Chimp is a (free) email marketing tool which lets you easily create newsletters, etc.
I know what MailChimp is and use it regularly. The question to Daniel is what exactly would an "integration" with MailChimp include?
Would newsletter subscribers go directly to MailChimp database? (at registration or account update)
Would the segmentation for sending mails be done by OC or MailChimp?
Would the composing of mails happen in OC or MailChimp?
Would I be able to place a MailChimp module in my shop?
Will OC support additional MailChimp fields?
etc

P.S. MailChimp is not "Free" as you indicate in your message. It has a freemium model or a shareware model - you can use the SAAS (software as a service) for free if you have 2000 or fewer subscribers. 2001, and you need to buy one of their pay-per-email or monthly subscription plans.

OC2PS

Location - Hungary

Post by OC2PS » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:43 pm

burley wrote:
polaris15 wrote:There is a feature that is missing that i think is quite important. I use RBS WorldPay as my payment gateway but i would like to offer subscription based payments. This is called RBS FuturePay. Would this be something that you could add to the core or do you know of a developer willing to design this for me as a module?
Not to be a pain in the ass, but I think this is quite a user specific feature. Thus shouldn't be incorperated in the core of OC.
It's not a user-specific feature. Subscriptions are fairly common. OpenCart core should support them (subscriptions as a concept).

As for RBS Future Pay, that is probably best served by a separate extension. Same goes for PayPal Subscriptions and Recurring Payments etc.

OC2PS

Location - Hungary

Post by burley » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:49 pm

As for RBS Future Pay, that is probably best served by a separate extension.
that's what I meant, i've no clue how many people use RBS but in my part of the woods it's not very common.
Same goes for PayPal Subscriptions and Recurring Payments etc.
I feel paypal should be a standard feature, since it's interationally used and accepted.

Post by OC2PS » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:54 pm

burley wrote:
Same goes for PayPal Subscriptions and Recurring Payments etc.
I feel paypal should be a standard feature, since it's interationally used and accepted.
PayPal is standard. This refers to PayPal's subscription service.

OC2PS

Location - Hungary

Post by burley » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:04 pm

my bad :)

Post by Meshach » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:17 am

Template Language overrides please! =)

Post by menkom » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:45 am

Daniel wrote:what do u mean proper plugin system?
Daniel come on mate, what do you mean a proper plugin system..... as it says A PROPER PLUGIN SYSTEM, not to mention a proper THEME system.

I still am coming to grips with the plugin and theme system in OC its positively appalling.

It's it's biggest downfall.

Just look at what Wordpress are doing if you want some inspiration.

How about you don't add any new features as you mentioned above and make 1.6.0 the first version that actually has an EASY and flexible way to install themes, eg....... for starters.

Have a THEMES directory and the theme files are all self contained in a sub-directory. Which can be activated in the admin panel.

Secondly.

The plugins, VQmod is probably the best thing that has happened to OC, you should have this out-of-the-box and it should also have a admin panel for easy management. How about the plugins could easily be activated / de-activated from the backend, how about easy upgrade of new versions of plugins as they are released and uploaded to the Opencart extensions repository.

They are just a few of what i would think are the BIGGEST missing features of OpenCart.

I can almost GUARANTEE you, that if these were done it would increase the customer base of OC dramatically.

My 2 cents.

Post by webrasta » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:12 pm

menkom wrote: Daniel come on mate, what do you mean a proper plugin system..... as it says A PROPER PLUGIN SYSTEM, not to mention a proper THEME system.

I still am coming to grips with the plugin and theme system in OC its positively appalling.

It's it's biggest downfall.

Just look at what Wordpress are doing if you want some inspiration.

How about you don't add any new features as you mentioned above and make 1.6.0 the first version that actually has an EASY and flexible way to install themes, eg....... for starters.

Have a THEMES directory and the theme files are all self contained in a sub-directory. Which can be activated in the admin panel.

Secondly.

The plugins, VQmod is probably the best thing that has happened to OC, you should have this out-of-the-box and it should also have a admin panel for easy management. How about the plugins could easily be activated / de-activated from the backend, how about easy upgrade of new versions of plugins as they are released and uploaded to the Opencart extensions repository.

They are just a few of what i would think are the BIGGEST missing features of OpenCart.

I can almost GUARANTEE you, that if these were done it would increase the customer base of OC dramatically.

My 2 cents.
just wow ! I'm pretty shocked having just read this . Firstly there is no need to shout in here , is there ? Lets have a look at what you've written...

I think when you say a you would like a proper plugin system and a proper theme system you are actually suggesting '1 click installs'. Maybe this would work well, perhaps it isn't a priority, I personally don't see the need.

You are also suggesting that OpenCart should have a directory called themes with each theme self contained within that folder, each activated within the admin panel. Interesting how this is the exact structure currently in place for installing and activating a theme. :?

Next, Is it really that difficult to install vqmod after an install of opencart? Not really, in fact it almost couldn't be easier.

With regards to easy activation / deactivation of plugins within the admin panel. Surely there is a mod capable of doing this. But I do like the way that I can log into my server and rename my_mod.xml to my_mod.xml_ to disable it. After all once a shop is set up and working as intended who is going to be de/activating mods on a frequent basis??

In conclusion it seems like you have raised some interesting points, ???

On a side note, many thanks Daniel and the Opencart community for the awesome shopping cart and support.

Professor Cloud Zoom Free Product Image Magnifier (vqmod) | Demo | Pro | Demo
Cloud Zoom for Shoppica Theme - PRO Image Magnifier | Demo Image in tab / below preview
Sidebox footer links (vqmod) | Demo

Post by menkom » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:24 pm

Well i typed in a whole reply and i got a message that said.

THIS MESSAGE WAS FLAGGED AS SPAM AND HAS BEEN DENIED.

LOL nice... hmmm something smells fishy....

Post by rmi » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:33 am

I'm sorry I didn't crawl all the pages through.. only first 10

And a BIG thank you for Daniel and other opencart developers for building this thing up year after year.. You have created possibility for people like me to have professional websites without actual professional coder skills.

Currently running 1.4.9 with multistore and 1.5.3 with multistore + multi vendor. Couldn't even imagine of something like these some years ago when creating plain html with notepad. And everything I have done for this progress is I have forgot how to code html :laugh:

My suggestions:
- NO MORE NEW FEATURES EXCEPT PLUGIN SYSTEM
Usability before new features!
Be employee for a day, add 500 products with images, options and stuff then go and modify all of them.
Be store owner for a day, handle 500 orders, print invoices, check new customers, handle returns.
Be customer for a day, test each and every feature on store and check if they all give you an expression of high end professional shop where everything is thought for you. Confirmation emails, tax handling, model vs sku, option images, mobile use ...

Take a day break and on Friday, fix everything that caused you an extra click or opened you an unnecessary window during the week.

And to mention something I have noticed:
-In admin update all values straight to lists, no need to open separate links, quick ajax popup windows for things that doesn't suit to list mode. Bulk Product Update Pro by nchankov is good example for product page.
-Master admin to hide all unnecessary features from front and back. Enable later if needed.
-More attention to details, for example taxes in prices, current system can show taxes for products but not for totals except shipping in confimation mail and invoice. It's confusing.

What should not be implemented:
- Multi vendor system has already some good extensions with orders split automatically and vendors being able to modify their products. It should not be part of standard out of the box installation.
- No more pre-installed stuff that doesn't cover the whole world with it's popularity (paypal, fed-ex etc.. payment and shipping and other methods). Separate package (or plugin) for these.

Don't get me wrong I'm thrilled about everything new but I think oc has reached the point where usability is starting to suffer from new features. Maybe it should have different installation packs which would add certain features out of the box around the same core.

rmi

Post by OC2PS » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:33 pm

botonakis wrote:
OC2PS wrote:
botonakis wrote:The number of the reviews
Might be good to have the number of reviews in tooltips (title tags) for the stars. e.g.
4.8 based on 12 reviews
Yes, this is good also.
Check this out http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... on_id=6485

OC2PS

Location - Hungary

Post by Iamdbat » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:32 am

Bottlenecks in OC should be identified and eliminated one by one - as it stands OC is a very slow system - Its very fast mind you when is bare bone BUTTTTTTTT - add products and categories mods and extensions and there is Lots of wait! There are extensions that say they cover this but that is like trying to patch a leaking hose - these things should be built into the core so other developers won't focus upon FIXING OC but instead improve the functionality. This really needs to be addressed - I believe there are SQL problems within OC that need overdue TLC. There are core issues that need to be nursed long before a new release per say. I would also like to say that there is far too much Java used in OC and a HTML/CSS solution should be considered. Product counts ... phew ... need I say more, Favoured extensions should be absorbed into the core (how that is done is up to developer) - STYLESHEETS should be amalgamated as should Javascripts into 2 singular files. A greater consideration to Large Category and large product bases should be thought of. ELIMINATE PRODUCT COUNTS OF ANY KIND! - They have no relevance and nobody cares - they just slow the system down! In ecommerce speed and navigation is whats required and a great deal of thought should be favoured here. My 2000 cents - Good Luck

Daniel - Please radically change OC - It's a fab system but just not good enough for real world commerce as yet (sorry if that grates upon your soul which I'm sure it does as your reading this - I can't do it and that is why I'm pleading)

Post by burley » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:08 pm

a lot of truth has just been said!