Post by karlpers » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:49 am

As the title says, I would really appreciate if someone could help me change the way how the order totals are listed in the checkout/confirm page. Just drop me a PM if you want to grab salary for this task.

Changes:
Products should be displaying VAT included
Sub-total should be displaying VAT included
Shipping should be displaying VAT included
Coupons should be displaying VAT included
Payment type fee should be displaying VAT included
VAT should be listed at the bottom of the order total, telling the customer more like "VAT included in the amount" rather then adding VAT to the sub-total.

The way of look should be applied at corfirm page, cart, invoices etc.

Please see image below for better understanding.

Attachments

vatconfirm.png

vatconfirm.png (14.02 KiB) Viewed 11342 times

Post by karlpers » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:01 pm

Isnt it actually pretty wierd that (Show prices incl. VAT = yes) result in prices including VAT on all pages except the checkout/confirm? Isnt it any way to have prices showed including VAT even in that page? It gets pretty messed up especially when shipping, coupons etc are added..

Post by SXGuy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:27 pm

No this isnt weird, because in many countries, including mine (UK) you have to display the net cost, the vat amount and gross cost in seperate fields.

Showing prices including vat on product pages is so the customer knows exactly how much they have to spend, it would be stupid and pretty weird, to not at least show the customer there is vat added to a product before he decides to buy, if anyone got to checkout and found that what they thought there subtotal was, is in actual fact less vat which they also have to pay, they would probably laugh and not proceed any futher.

I am at a loss as to why you even want to display the checkout totals including vat.

Post by karlpers » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:08 pm

Thanks for the answer SXGuy, I see your point. Its understandable this might sound a bit silly since everything works.

But, over here (Sweden) we need to display the amount of vat which have resulted in a practice of something similar like this:
Sub-total: 1000 - Vat incl.
-10% Discount: 100 - Vat incl.
Shipping: 40 - Vat incl.
Total: 940 - Vat incl.
Vat included: 188

Therefore it looks a bit messy when customer are having shipping, coupons etc in the totals. Eg. A coupon that should result in 10% discount of the total is displayed as 10% discount of the sub-total. (even if its the same) And the product cost (on top of the totals) looks a bit strange when the product price has been vat included in every steps before.

I tried the following changes to make at least the priduct price is the cart summary show product price including vat:
catalog/controller/checkout/confirm

replacing: (lines 402-403)

Code: Select all

'price'      => $this->currency->format($product['price']),
        		'total'      => $this->currency->format($product['total']),
with:

'price'      => $this->currency->format($this->tax->calculate($product['price'], $product['tax_class_id'], $this->config->get('config_tax'))),
              'total'      => $this->currency->format($this->tax->calculate($product['total'], $product['tax_class_id'], $this->config->get('config_tax'))),
Nothing happends.

I know this most of the users dont see this as an issue. Therefore Im willing to pay someone to help me:P

Post by Grandma » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:49 pm

I am also selling from Sweden and would like this too, at least as an option if possible.
The ultimate would be if it could be shown as described by karlpers for our Swedish customers and the default way for out international customers.

Owner of Herbalator, inhalers with organic essential oils that eases asthma, allergy and migraines.

Location - Sweden

Post by SXGuy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:51 pm

try this.

$this->currency->format($this->tax->calculate($product['price'] + $product['price'], $product['tax_class_id'], $this->config->get('config_tax'))),
              'total'      => $this->currency->format($this->tax->calculate($product['total'] + $product['total'], $product['tax_class_id'], $this->config->get('config_tax'))),

this should, add the vat amount to the price, not display it seperately.

Post by mberlant » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:39 pm

Don't Swedish people have the right to know how much of their hard earned money is going to the store to pay for the products and services and how much is going to the government in the form of VAT? It seems very unlikely that the Swedish government would require businesses to hide this information from the public.

Where else would you show this breakdown except on the checkout page? Also, isn't the customer entitled to know that you have properly coded which items are subject to the full 19% VAT, which are subject to 12% and which are subject to 6%?

And if you bury this breakout every step of the way, how do you as store owner know how much money to forward to the tax authorities?

Please use proper English at all times, so that all members may understand you.

Post by sebas » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:23 am

+1

Me too wants this feature.

As far as i know, in Germany and in the Netherlands also, we are used to display prices incl. VAT. and then we say how much VAT is included in the Total. So actually the customer does know how much VAT he is going to pay.

I think this feature needs to create 2 possibilities:

1. To show subtotals, discounts, shipping costs, etc. AND the product prices on the checkout and the shopping cart page incl. VAT.
2. The VAT position should definitely be there and show how much VAT is included in the total.

Is it possible to add this feature to future releases?

Thanks!

Post by i2Paq » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:30 am

It shows the prices incl. BTW on the product page, it shows the prices excl. BTW on checkout AND the BTW is shown separately.
I'm running OC for 6 months now and no-one here in Nederland has ever complained that it was onduidelijk.

When I used osCommerce it showed the prices incl. BTW on checkout AND the BTW separately and I got a lot of e-mails asking me if the paid more because they prices icl. BTW and the BTW mentioned separately confused them.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by sebas » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:54 am

how funny! i also used osCommerce... and i never had someone complaining about the VAT solution being onduidelijk.

My point is that some prefer it 'the osCommerce way'. I know you might say to switch back to osCommerce, but i switched because of other major issues with the application.

This is a rather small feature and a solution is already there, it's all open source. It must only be rewritten for OC.

Why not making some people happy? I'm not asking to do it right now nor tomrrow, because i know it means unpaid work for one of the developers. I was actually only asking IF it is possible to add this feature.

Post by ronnieb » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:54 pm

i would like it the way kalpers suggested as well.

if you have a product selling at £100 it should show £100 not £83.33
if your shipping is £5 it should show £5 not £4.16

if tax is switched to on - it should dispaly on all the way through - not just on the product pages.

ps

$this->currency->format($this->tax->calculate($product['price'] + $product['price'], $product['tax_class_id'], $this->config->get('config_tax'))),
              'total'      => $this->currency->format($this->tax->calculate($product['total'] + $product['total'], $product['tax_class_id'], $this->config->get('config_tax'))),

doesn't work !!

Post by mberlant » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:14 pm

@ronnieb, So, do you propose only divulging the VAT breakdown on the invoice? If so, how will you provide proforma invoices for those customers who require this legal disclosure prior to completing the purchase and receiving the invoice via email from the store? You would need to build an invoice but not assign it a number (since these must be sequential) and then present it on screen to the customer for his perusal and acceptance towards completing the purchase. It just seems simpler to comply with this law during the checkout process, as OpenCart does naturally.

Post by SXGuy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:19 pm

Doesnt work how? i cant mind read. Errors would be a massive help to identify the problem.

On a side note, i cant see how you think the mod you want looks right to a buyer. for example if it showed this:

Based on vat being 20%
Items: £100
Shipping : £5
VAT: £17.50
Total: £105

Now can you see how confusing that is? is your final total to pay £105 or do i need to pay £17.50 as well?

What if it looked like this (which it does currently)
Items: £ 83.33
Shipping: £ 4.17
Subtotal: £ 87.50
Vat: £ 17.50
Total: £ 105.00

See how thats much clearer? people can see how much something costs and how much vat is included.

Post by ronnieb » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:23 pm

Hi

this is how it should look Based on vat being 20%

Total VAT Paid : £17.50

The way it is at the moment -

Items: £ 83.33
Shipping: £ 4.17
Subtotal: £ 87.50
Vat: £ 17.50
Total: £ 105.00

I understand this - but you are displaying a price of £100, and shipping of £5 when it comes to checkout those figures should be there
just like the discount voucher % should take it off the gross price not the net

if you went into a shop and saw something at £100 with a 10% off sticker - you would automatically assume that you would get £10 off - as it is at the moment according to the cart you would get £8.33 off

this is how I would like it to work

Total VAT Paid : £17.50

Can you help ?

Post by SXGuy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:06 pm

Although i understand why you want it to look that way, your argument is flawed.

20% of £100 is £20

83.33 PLUS 20% = £100

no disrepect, but it seems alot of people here dont quite understand the difference between net plus tax and gross less tax.

You should ALWAYS add tax to a price, not subtract it.

you only subtract a percentage of the total price when it is a discount. nothing to do with tax.

Post by ronnieb » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:31 am

not sure what you are on about here
Although i understand why you want it to look that way, your argument is flawed.

20% of £100 is £20
83.33 PLUS 20% = £100
the % I am on about is for the discount vouchers
you have an item that costs £100 in your shop, and you apply a 10% discount voucher to it it should then cost you £90
do it through open cart the £100 / 1.2 (20% VAT) = £83.33 which is what it calculates the discount as. £8.33 which is wrong

Now if all prices were dispalyed WITHOUT tax - then its correct at the price of £83.33 would be showing anyway, so the 10% figure would be right

but I'm not, Im asking the cart to display the costs with tax, so its 10% off £100 = £10

Look - 1 huge retailer in the UK

clarks shows
http://www.clarks.co.uk/sale
price of a pair of shoes £20 50% off - shoes = new price £10

this isn't shoes £20 minus vat (20%) = £16.66 x 50% = £8.33

British prices show the discount off the gross dispayed amount. Opencart doesn't , and is therefore wrong for us

Post by mberlant » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:25 am

Please do not confuse discounts with coupons. They are not the same. A discount is a reduction to the price offered before the transaction is tabulated and a coupon is an adjustment to the transaction after it has been tabulated. This is why VAT is applied to the reduced price during a "bargain sale" and is applied to the normal price when a coupon is applied to a normal transaction. OpenCart provides a facility for creating and redeeming coupons. There is no OC facility or extension, to my knowledge, for creating or redeeming "discount vouchers".

And this is why the Clarks' example you reference applies VAT to the reduced price. If you apply a "Special" or "Discount" price in your OpenCart store, as Clarks' have done, using those OC features, you will end up charging VAT upon the reduced price. Likewise, if you had a coupon valid on Clarks' web site you would find yourself paying VAT upon the pre-coupon purchase price.

Post by SXGuy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:19 pm

ronnieb wrote:not sure what you are on about here

20% of £100 is £20
83.33 PLUS 20% = £100
the % I am on about is for the discount vouchers
you have an item that costs £100 in your shop, and you apply a 10% discount voucher to it it should then cost you £90
do it through open cart the £100 / 1.2 (20% VAT) = £83.33 which is what it calculates the discount as. £8.33 which is wrong

Now if all prices were dispalyed WITHOUT tax - then its correct at the price of £83.33 would be showing anyway, so the 10% figure would be right

but I'm not, Im asking the cart to display the costs with tax, so its 10% off £100 = £10

Look - 1 huge retailer in the UK

clarks shows
http://www.clarks.co.uk/sale
price of a pair of shoes £20 50% off - shoes = new price £10

this isn't shoes £20 minus vat (20%) = £16.66 x 50% = £8.33

British prices show the discount off the gross dispayed amount. Opencart doesn't , and is therefore wrong for us
No its you who is wrong,

Opencart clearly shows products including vat, which means if the price inc vat was £20 and you wanted 50% off, it would still be £10.

Even if the discount was applied before vat, its still the same amount taken off.

£20 less 20% vat = £16.67

£16.67 - 50% discount = £8.34

£8.34 + 20% vat = 10.00

Really should go back to school.

Post by mberlant » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:05 pm

OpenCart does not offer discount vouchers. OpenCart offers coupons. OpenCart offers discounts in the form of Discounts and Specials, but neither is available in voucher form. As such, OpenCart currently has no way of modifying the pre-tax price of a product after adding that product to the Shopping Cart.

OpenCart has the option to display prices with VAT on the product page as a courtesy to customers of those shops that wish to provide this assistance to customers who have difficulty performing such calculations on the fly, or as may be required by business regulations in a particular jurisdiction.

The overwhelming majority of such jurisdictions (I know of none, personally.) require that coupon adjustments be applied after calculating the taxes due. A coupon is not a price reduction; it is an instant rebate. As such, the value of the coupon reduces the amount owing (according to stipulations you specify, such as attaching the coupon's validity to a particular product), but does not reduce the selling price of the item in question.

If you were to choose to gross up the value of a coupon to include the value of the VAT associated with the product, your store would still be liable to pay the tax authority the amount you chose to forgive.

If your store is in a jurisdiction where the tax authority specifies that taxes must be recalculated after a coupon is applied, please post a quote and a link to that tax authority's web page, so that we can help determine the best way to attack the problem.

Post by sebas » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:07 am

back to the main issue:
OpenCart has the option to display prices with VAT on the product page as a courtesy to customers of those shops that wish to provide this assistance to customers who have difficulty performing such calculations on the fly, or as may be required by business regulations in a particular jurisdiction.
When you display them once, why not display them all the time?

In my opinion there are two LEGAL ways to display VAT either at the checkout page OR on the invoice. if you display the prices with tax, there needs to be a notification at the product page saying "incl. tax".

[tax=20%]

NR 1 (prices without tax)
product 1: 83,33
product 2: 166,67
SUBTOTAL: 250
SHIPPING: 8,33
TAX: 51,67
TOTAL: 310

NR 2 (prices with tax)
product 1: 100
product 2: 200
SUBTOTAL: 300
SHIPPING: 10
TOTAL: 310
TAX (INCLUDED): 51,67

As either one of the ways presented are legal in certain parts of the world, it should be possible to switch between these different handlings of displaying tax at the checkout page or on the invoice.

Please include this, as it is not alot of work and makes alot of people happier.