Set the seo url for products like this:
mystore.com/id_product-name
i.e.: electronicstore.com/23_tv-plasma-samsung-MX100

instead of the default:
mystore.com/category-name/product-name
i.e.: electronicstore.com/tv-plasma/tv-plasma-samsung-MX100

The advantages of these solutions are:
1. shorter url;
2. no word repetitions in the url in case the product has some of the same words as the category it belongs to;
3. you can have products with the same name and have no conflicts between products if you have a different id before the product name.

Let's discuss!!

Post by justinv » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:30 pm

that system almost makes the SEO url classes in OpenCart redundant, because if you have the product id on the url you can set up a rewrite rule to turn them into product pages, doing it in apache rather than php.

URLs aren't as friendly though, isn't the point of SEO urls to remove useless info like product id?

Documentation: OpenCart User Guide
Mods: Total Import PRO | CSV Import PRO | Ecom Tracking | Any Feed | Autosuggest | OpenCart CDN

Post by SXGuy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:40 pm

turn seo urls off, preview your site, and check each product id then add that to your seo url, once all is complete turn seo urls back on, only way i can think of, if you really want to do it, but like justinv said, makes seo urls pointless.

Post by proxisoft.net » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:52 pm

justinv wrote:that system almost makes the SEO url classes in OpenCart redundant, because if you have the product id on the url you can set up a rewrite rule to turn them into product pages, doing it in apache rather than php.

URLs aren't as friendly though, isn't the point of SEO urls to remove useless info like product id?
I'm setting up an e-commerce website of used watches and the issue is that I can have same watch models (that implicates same product names) but I can't put them into the same "product" with a number of quantity greater than 1 because they are distinct. So... if I put the same name product, with these settings, it will point only one product and on the other hand I can't "teach" the people who will use my e-commerce website to remember to put a number before the name of the products. As a developer I have to provide a software in which my clients have not to remember this kind of "warning" inserting a new item.

Post by proxisoft.net » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:39 pm

Almost solved. Now I can auto-put the id before the name product. Soon I'll post my solution.