Post by jonhunk » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:31 am

I need a feature that allows me not to charge tax based on a customer or customer group. This group would be wholesalers which have a resale number, so I would not charge them tax. I would still charge tax to customers that do not have a resale number.

Post by merchboer » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:35 pm

I'm also working on this, though the way I see it's okay to have a customer group that isn't required to pay tax on the products, I can just manually add wholesale customers to it.

I likez teh beerz & foodz.

Location - Netherlands

Post by merchboer » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:12 am

ok, found the fix; in system/library/tax.php change this:

Code: Select all

public function getRate($tax_class_id) {
		if (isset($this->taxes[$tax_class_id])) {
			$rate = 0;
			foreach ($this->taxes[$tax_class_id] as $tax_rate) {
				$rate += $tax_rate['rate'];
			}		
			return $rate;
		} else {
    		return 0;
		}
	}
to this:

Code: Select all

public function getRate($tax_class_id) {
		if (isset($this->taxes[$tax_class_id])) {
			$rate = 0;
			//taxfree part 1
		global $registry;
		$this->customer = $registry->get('customer');
		if ($this->customer->getCustomerGroupId() == '9') {
		} else {
				//end of part 1
			foreach ($this->taxes[$tax_class_id] as $tax_rate) {
				$rate += $tax_rate['rate'];
			}		

return $rate;
		// part 2
		}
		// end of part 2

} else {
    		return 0;
		}
	}
of course the customer group ID should be YOUR customer group ID that is the group that doesn't have to pay tax. in my shop it's group 9.

Location - Netherlands

Post by Qphoria » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:31 am

I was thinking of adding tax exemption to a customer group, but it might be better at the individual customer level to just have a tax_exempt flag. This way you can have tax_exempt wholesalers and tax_exempt normal customers

Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones

Administrator

Post by marc_cole » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:13 am

Qphoria wrote:I was thinking of adding tax exemption to a customer group...
Hmm... I hadn't noticed this before. So, how do you make a customer tax exempt then? Is merchboer's solution the correct one?

OpenCart v1.4.9.4
VQMod | Categories Home | Cleaner By Default - 2 Column | Speak Good English

Location - Seattle, WA

Post by merchboer » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:32 pm

Qphoria wrote:I was thinking of adding tax exemption to a customer group, but it might be better at the individual customer level to just have a tax_exempt flag. This way you can have tax_exempt wholesalers and tax_exempt normal customers
that'd be great, now I've had to modify both the tax.php and cart.php in the admin/library, which I probably have to do again after an update.

Cart.php is edited since my discounts also apply to the customers that do not have to pay VAT and I don't want to create two sets of discounts :)

Location - Netherlands

Post by Studio-Owens » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:36 am

Qphoria wrote:I was thinking of adding tax exemption to a customer group, but it might be better at the individual customer level to just have a tax_exempt flag. This way you can have tax_exempt wholesalers and tax_exempt normal customers
This would be very useful to have tax exemption on the individual customer.

www.Studio-Owens.com

Post by SandCarver » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:30 am

I need this solution ASAP so I can launch a new cart. In my case I need both a Customer centric flag and a product one. In my example Customer 1 has a resale certificate. He is able to purchase many items for resale. He also purchases from us consumable items that ARE taxable. So I would need to have a way to both Group customers together in a No Tax category but that NO TAX would need to be applied to ONLY certain products.

If anyone has a solution or is a developer that can create this solution please contact me ASAP.

Thank you.

Checkout Our OpenCart powered Stores
Sandcarving Systems | Glass Banks

Post by atxutexas05 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:11 am

I am having trouble getting it to work, not sure how to determine what group ID my groups are assigned to. I only have two groups since I am in the USA, taxable and tax exempt. I figured group ID 1 would be one of the two but It doesnt seem to take the tax off when I add items to the shopping cart, I tried changing the customer to both groups. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Do I need to modify the cart.php also?

Post by merchboer » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:30 am

if you hover the edit link in your admin -> sales -> customer groups it should state the customer group in the status bar of your browser, all the way at the end.

If I'm not mistaking it is not necessary to edit cart.php

Location - Netherlands

Post by madimar » Mon May 16, 2011 9:19 pm

Guys, I'm working and almost finished an integrated contibution handling VAT Numbers, Federal Tax ID (US), Reseller State ID (US), Tax Exempt ID, etc fields in customer registration and order management.
A tax exemption is also applied automatically in the cart according to the "tax category" of the customer (set in registration and provided with a valid ID number).

If it could be of interest for you, you can have a look on my other post and to the working site demo

http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=31980

regards,

M

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
My last mods: Partita IVA e CF | Pro EU VAT Number | Sales Agents | Pricelist Pro

Post by Demon5 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:35 am

I would also like a toggle to be able to make particular customer tax exempt. I do NOT want it on new customer registration page because then I'd have tons of people clicking that and placing orders untaxed. Then have hellish time sorting through them to collect data. I only want to have it set on admin side if they email me requesting tax exempt with the proper forms I would change for them. The group thing listed in this thread is nice cept it would knock the resellers out of being able to get the promo prices I am sarting to add into site unless I add for both groups

https://www.lotnllc.com is your one stop shop for all your computer needs!

Location - Sacramento, CA

Post by madimar » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:17 pm

Hi Demon,
actually I already added in a similar module the forced admin approval need for some specific customer categories. If you are interested to my module, I can really quickly integrate it.

Let me know,

M

My last mods: Partita IVA e CF | Pro EU VAT Number | Sales Agents | Pricelist Pro

Post by Demon5 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:17 pm

well I don't want that whole big module. I just want a toggle in the user editor. Don't want to offer it to them in any way shape or form, only if they specifically email and ask me about it. So like if you have a separate one with just adding tax exempt to the user editor and have it work regardless of group that would be awesome. would not want it integrated to the other one you were advertising though because I just don't want it offering to them.

Post by madimar » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:49 pm

Hi Demon,
at the moment I don't have one module like what you need, but maybe I could arrange it if you and other people are interested to.
Let me know,

M

Post by Demon5 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:24 pm

I see me and studio-owens so far. I'm sure there are others. Basically I have it working right now with the groups method above. Except if I put person in tax free group they won't see the rebates and such

Post by madimar » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:37 pm

Ok, I will work to realize it. Please if there are other people interested to buy it, please let me know, so I could speed up activities.

In admin customer edit, it will be possible to select in a Exempted Tax Class list, following options: none, all, specific tax class.

M

Post by madimar » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:59 am

here we go! You can preview this wonderful mod at:

http://myopencart.ilbello.com

Instructions in welcome messages. Let me know for any doubt/feedback.

M

Post by Demon5 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:45 am

Good mod easy to install. Just make sure you update vqmod if you have old ver installed.

Post by FastDesign_Karl » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:02 am

Is there a way to redirect customers to a self declaration form to do this automatically? I'm designing a shop for a customer selling medical aids and here in the UK if you are registered with a disability you don't pay tax on related equipment. This site: http://www.rdkmobility.co.uk/vatexemption.html has the option to declare and brings up a form during check out if you tick the box. It would be a really handy feature to have and lets the customer do the work!