Post by sqren » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:59 pm

Hi,

I need the ability to make a product unavailable for other customers, if there are only one in stock, and somebody has put the last into their cart. A product should so-to-speak be "reserved" when it is put into the cart.
The timeout could then be 15 minutes - and then the product becomes available again.

Is this already possible?

If I were to code it myself, eg. as a plugin - can you give me some pointers to, how this should be implemented in the best possible way?

Best regards,
Sqren

Post by SapporoGuy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:31 am

As far as I know, no it is not possible yet.

hmmm ...
I guess there could be multiple ways to do this ...
ugh, I wish I knew more about the cart's session management since this could work off of the idea of an "abandoned cart".
That I haven't searched for, but I seem to remember seeing a few discussions on that.

If there is such an ability, you could check each "abandoned/reserved" cart for a time limit and then if it has expired erase the session from the db/cache or wherever it is being stored.

Another way I was thinking required even more work.

930sc ... because it is fun!

Post by Xsecrets » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:45 am

I think you'll find the problem is that the only place the cart is stored is in the session which will pose a problem. Well if you are a registered user is stores your cart so that it can be restored when you login again, but I would geuss the vast majority of users would be browsing as guests.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by sqren » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:58 am

Thank you for the replies. It is very unfortunate that nobody has implemented this yet, and it sounds like it will be difficult to do.

I'm a little surprised of this - isn't this a pretty common feature for a webshop?

Post by SapporoGuy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:14 pm

I have gone through loads of mods at oscommerce and this is the first time I've seen this.
I'd imagine this being more of a "auction" type of function rather than one for a cart.

Post by Qphoria » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:18 pm

yea.. its not a common feature because potential buyers are not buyers! I don't care if I attract 10000000000 people to my site.. if only 1 person buys an item and makes the payment, then that's my only customer.

The only place the reserved thing is really used is for buying tickets online and that would be a major overhaul to add that.

Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones

Administrator

Post by OC2PS » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:01 am

Qphoria wrote:The only place the reserved thing is really used is for buying tickets online
And that probably because each ticket is effectively a unique product that can never be sold again....(due to date/time/assigned seating)

OC2PS
OC 2.3.0.2, vQmod 2.6.2, Journal2 theme
Arcfesték, Csillámtetoválás, Henna
Check out: All my extensions | My FREE extensions

Location - Hungary

Post by Xsecrets » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:34 pm

agreed it is not a common feature I've been building ecommerce sites for several years now and only had one request for it, and I've never seen a cart that works that way. The one person who asked for it reconsidered after I explained that someone could come along add all their products to the cart and leave and essentially shut down the store.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by sqren » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:07 pm

It is on request from a client - but he might not have thought it properly through.
The one person who asked for it reconsidered after I explained that someone could come along add all their products to the cart and leave and essentially shut down the store.
Haha. I think I will tell him that.

Post by SapporoGuy » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:02 am

1.5 will have wishlist.
So, that will let the customer think about it and not have to change the cart.

Post by PaulineNMU » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:07 am

Revisiting this old topic cause it pertains to something I'm trying to do.

One of my clients will be selling a limited time item with a set quantity. They use paypal for their store. At WHAT point is the item subtracted from stock? When they hit "Checkout" or when the paypal payment is confirmed?

Post by Qphoria » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:49 am

PaulineNMU wrote:Revisiting this old topic cause it pertains to something I'm trying to do.

One of my clients will be selling a limited time item with a set quantity. They use paypal for their store. At WHAT point is the item subtracted from stock? When they hit "Checkout" or when the paypal payment is confirmed?
when the payment is confirmed

Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones

Administrator

Post by Enkeria » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:07 am

Wishlist? Is it something like this:

OBJECT 588 - Pillow

"Product not in stock, would you like to recieve a mail once its back in stock?"
Fill in e-mail: [______] ( ok!)

Mail gets to the store admin:
"Customer x@yourstore.ok is watching object 588"

/ Enkeria
http://www.Enkeria.com
http://www.WEREit.se

Location - Sweden

Post by opencartcitymedia » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:52 pm

Hi did anyone got an idea to implement the above idea yet...reserving the product for that customer for 5 minutes before it is becoming in stock.