Post by belindaj » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:49 am

These are some of the things I keep thinking should be already available in this level of shopping cart application. I've managed to resolve some of them with paid extensions - which I don't mind paying for at all as long as they are SUPPORTED and well documented. But the fewer 3rd party add-ons that are necessary on an already well-coded platform, the better. Even if it means paying for a "premium" version of Open Cart, which I would absolutely do.

Products Page: Additional columns with toggle checkbox options - specifically Enable/Disable and a column with the Sort number listed.

Filter: additional option to filter by category

Individual Products: Add a Short Description field.

Ability to enable/disable without an additional extension: Affiliate, Rewards, Newsletters

Mail Forms Editing (able to add existing and/or custom fields to the order_alert, specifically. This more easily allows the store's copy of the order_alert to act as a packing slip.

Add Checkout Confirmation Step to the locations where a custom field can be added, so that the information being requested in the custom field is specific to each single order, not to the overall account. Currently it is limited to Account, Address and Affiliate.

Just some of my thoughts as I get ready to launch my first cart for a client this week. I'm super impressed with this software and have at least 3 additional clients I plan to build for after this one, assuming the next two weeks of heavy traffic don't kill my server.

Love to hear other people's suggestions as well.

New and Treading Water Feverishly ;D
Current Cart-in-progress: https://gtgshops.com 3.0.3.2 installation, no core files modified

Post by belindaj » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:51 am

OH - and built-in exporting of reports. Yikes, can't believe that's not already there! Although I think the Advanced Sales Reports extension is going to be about as comprehensive as it could be.

Current Cart-in-progress: https://gtgshops.com 3.0.3.2 installation, no core files modified

Post by IP_CAM » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:03 pm

These are some of the things I keep thinking should be already available in this level of shopping cart application.
Yikes, can't believe that's not already there!
I get ready to launch my first cart for a client this week.
Well well well, you seem to have quite high Expectations, when it comes to free Software, obviously
to be used, to generate some additional income for you. :laugh:

But I'm sure, that you will get down to reality, rather sooner than later, and accept facts, as they exist.
But OC is NOT, what you obviously expect it to be, and especially not for Resellers, planning to create easy
Income out of others free Wisdom. OC is just a free Tool, for those, able to 'handle' it. But it takes some
basic Coder Knowledge, or then, one requires professional and usually paid Support, it's as easy as that.

But better don't take it personal, it would not change a thing. Accepted it, as it comes, or then, better
look around for something, better matching our requirements, if you really plan, to make a Business
out of a free Gift. But don't argue about seemengly missing details, because nobody will care about ... ;)

Good Luck, no offense, nothing personal, just plain information !
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by belindaj » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:21 pm

belindaj wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:49 am
These are some of the things I keep thinking should be already available in this level of shopping cart application. I've managed to resolve some of them with paid extensions - which I don't mind paying for at all as long as they are SUPPORTED and well documented. But the fewer 3rd party add-ons that are necessary on an already well-coded platform, the better. Even if it means paying for a "premium" version of Open Cart, which I would absolutely do.
So, do you only pick and choose the portions of my post that you want to interpret? Might I suggest the first paragraph in no way laid out expectations for "free" software. FYI, I've spent $191 so far on this first client's "free" software, and fully expect to pay additional custom coding support costs in the next few weeks - just on this cart, which I will then duplicate on additional clients' installations for licenses for their carts on much of the same extensions.

MY intention on this post was to potentially HELP the developers who are already working on the next rollout - to make the software even more valuable than it already is - which at the same time will continue to open the door for new customizations (PAID) to follow.

But, thanks.

Post by IP_CAM » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:47 pm

MY intention on this post was to potentially HELP the developers who are already working on
Well, I fully understand your intention, but I also have an Idea, on how the System works. But if OC would
listen to everybody, OC would not get anywhere. It just has to be accepted, like it or not. You probably
just misunderstud the Concept, because OC is NOT a Project of several Dev's, but just a One Man Show,
and only one single Person decides, what should be Part of it. So, better don't expect, what does not
exist, but take and use, what's available, or then, get something else, it's the only way to go.

Good Luck! :D
Ernie

5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by belindaj » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:25 pm

Whether it's one person or 20 developing OC, I made the post in a forum titled "Feature Requests".

I take "Feature Requests" from my clients and fellow designers on my server as well (I've been maintaining dedicated servers since 2000) - but that doesn't mean they are guaranteed to be fulfilled :) It does mean I am open to ideas and suggestions, and when and if the implementation is workable AND makes sense in the larger scope of improvements, those requests may see the light of day.

I'm sure it is a similar situation here.

Post by IP_CAM » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:09 am

Well, it's not my intention, to make you feel bad, but I don't think, that
the Feature Requests Section has any impact to anyone in OC charge.
It's more a Section, used, to place wishes, to be fullfilled by some Dev's.
But OC goes it's way, widely regardless of, what others mean or say.
And this might not be, what some expect, but it has to be accepted, as it
comes.

OC is a smart Business Idea, not a shared Community Project. and most
come here, either, to get knowledge, or then, to hopefully get some Cash
out of the Scene, in one or the other way. And only a small fraction of them
shares Knowledge for free, since most others always fear Competition, and
would therefore never share Wisdom with others in the first Place.

If one is willing, to accept that, one has no problems. And if not, nobody else
will care about. OC means Business, not Common Wealth, this has to be known
and accepted, or one will fail, by expecting something, for nothing in return.

Regardless of, if one already bought some paid Mods, from which a fraction of
the price goes to OC, to keep them alive. Otherways, the Project would have died
a long time ago already, depending of 'free' Donators only.

As I look at it at least, from beeing around + quite active for a while. ;)
Good Luck !
Ernie

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland