Post by fickena » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:51 pm

I can't believe that Opencart went through 1.X - 1.56 then onto to a whole new version and kept the old drop down check out option, despite all the requests.

One of the most popular extentions out there is a one page checkout module but this stops one of the other favourite modules from working in Abandoned Carts, where you can prompt customers to go through with their baskets. I personally kept one page checkout and ditched Abandoned Cart but would love to have both.

I am a point where I need to decide whether to move from 1.56 to 2.3 or move over to Magento (which I am dreading) but their checkout options beats Opencart hands down. Make it as simple as possible and you will maximise sales, first lesson in any guide.

Post by paulfeakins » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:05 pm

fickena wrote:move over to Magento (which I am dreading)
Yikes, perhaps have a read of this before doing anything that drastic!:
www.antropy.co.uk/blog/the-lure-of-magento

I'm sure a good developer could get Abandoned Cart working with One Page Checkout easily enough.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by labeshops » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:48 pm

You might also want to check out current research that shows one page checkout is not always preferred. Customers can get overwhelmed with a lot of fields on one page and many prefer a step by step process. I for one, do not want a 1 page checkout so if you really have to have one, you can always use an extension. And I'm sure a developer can get abandoned carts to work with it if you hire someone to do it.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by fickena » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:37 pm

I understand with fields but these can be easily limited, by having "use same for billing" etc and not having fax!, but Opencart has effectively 6 pages to checkout from and research definitely shows that for every page a customer has to scroll through the chances that you lose that customer increases. I can see this through my own Google adwords data and this is why Paypal quick checkout exists and works so well.

I was holding back getting a developer onboard as I thought this wouldn't be an issue on the new version.