Post by JNeuhoff » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:12 pm

The test site is http://www.thirskwebdev.com/testcart/  if someone wants to check it out to see if anyone has any brain waves.
Konqueror has the same problems. Someone should test it with other web browser using the KHTML engine, such as Safari or Chrome. Chances that these may have problems, too.

Are you running your Apache server on a Windows system, instead of Unix or Linux? Try running the same OpenCart on a Linux box, just to see whether it makes a difference.
Last edited by JNeuhoff on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MHC Web Design
Override Engine * Integrated VQMod * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * TrustPilot Reviews * Google Rich Snippets * Google Tag Manager * Export/Import Tool * Template Switcher PHP/Twig

Expert Member

Post by bthirsk » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:53 pm

Windows XP
Safari, Chrome both work fine.
When I installed the fresh version of 7.8, it rendered.
As soon as I add all the content, it won't.
That's why I cleaned up the CSS and HTML to try and eliminate that.
By the way, the default CSS has a few errors in all versions.

Brent

Location - Canada

Post by JNeuhoff » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:09 am

OK, I think I know why it fails in some web browsers. The HTML validator reports among others this error:
Byte-Order Mark found in UTF-8 File.
The Unicode Byte-Order Mark (BOM) in UTF-8 encoded files is known to cause problems for some text editors and older browsers. You may want to consider avoiding its use until it is better supported.
Looking out your server response I would have expected it to start with the DOCTYPE:

Code: Select all

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
according to your layout.tpl file.

It doesn't. Your DOCTYPE is instead preceded by the following 3 bytes: EF BB BF which looks like the UTF8 BOM. This may cause the rendering problem with some web browsers. It identifies the server response as UTF-8 but doesn't say anything about the byte order, because UTF-8 does not have byte order issues. If you remove those 3 bytes from your layout.tpl, the problem should be solved.

You probably introduced this problem by using MS NotePad saving the file as UTF-8 where NotePad gets the notion to precede those nasty 3 bytes to your text file. Other text editors don't seem to do that. If you must use NotePad save your layout as ANSI, and just make sure that any non-ANSI multibyte UTF-8 characters are replaced by ANSI HTML entities.

Hope that helps.

MHC Web Design
Override Engine * Integrated VQMod * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * TrustPilot Reviews * Google Rich Snippets * Google Tag Manager * Export/Import Tool * Template Switcher PHP/Twig

Expert Member

Post by Qphoria » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:14 am

The evil of microsoft knows no bounds! Even the innocent little notepad, who's always been there for us through the years... has all along been crafting this plot of vengeance and destruction.

Windows, I know thee not. :-\

Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones

Administrator

Expert Member

Post by Qphoria » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:58 am

Because
I-WILL-CONFORM
YOU-WILL-BE-ASSIMILATED
MICROSOFT-IS-THE-MESSIAH

With great evil comes great benefit I guess. You take the good with the bad.

Administrator

Post by jty » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:22 am

Opera 9.62 reads my Open Cart 0.7.9rc3 site just fine
I didn't use a microsoft editor

jty

Post by Qphoria » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:45 am

jty wrote: I didn't use a microsoft editor
That's the secret!

Administrator

Post by JNeuhoff » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:06 am

Opera 9.62 reads my Open Cart 0.7.9rc3 site just fine
OpenCart will work in any browser as long as there is a proper layout.tpl, that is as long as it validates correctly and starts with a correct DOCTYPE.

MHC Web Design

Expert Member

Post by bthirsk » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:55 am

How right you are.
I found the problem. It was not the layout.tpl , but a hit counter I had placed
on the index page, which some how placed the offending characters before the DOCTYPE statment.
It is a PHP file that only write to a text file so I don't know why it did this, but moving it to the layout
below the DOC Reference cured the problem.
I guess we have to be careful what we put before the document is built.
Thanks for all you help and hopefully it will help others.

Brent

Location - Canada

Post by lev » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:52 am

plain and simple
I love it! :)

lev

Post by nextgenxx » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:26 am

Thanks guys! Ok, so the site has been up for about 3 weeks now, only a few orders "online" so far (damn US economy). Hopefully I can get more internet traffic to boost sales up. Has anybody had good luck with the SEO contrib? Thanks!

Post by lev » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:14 am

I'm writing one right now that lest the store admin set seo specifics for all pages (title,keywords description). Im not sure if the SEO contrib covers that?!?

lev

Post by Qphoria » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:25 am

The current SEO Google pack from David Gilbert (and bruce), with a handful of bug fixes, works pretty good. It does not do meta tags per-product or anything yet so a contrib like that could prove useful.

Administrator

Post by lev » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:33 am

Definetly, only the way i decided to intergrate it, its not really recyclable code. i had to basically hard code in some of the entries that build into the tree that represents the sitemap.

lev

Post by JohnnyO » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:22 am

@nextgenxx .. Just thought I'd chime in to say nice work on the site and Go Buffs

If you make it idiot proof, they will just build a better idiot.

Location - Denver, CO - USA

Post by adam777 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:02 pm

Qphoria wrote: The current SEO Google pack from David Gilbert (and bruce), with a handful of bug fixes, works pretty good. It does not do meta tags per-product or anything yet so a contrib like that could prove useful.
Would this begin to solve the metatags?

in file catalog/template/default/layout.tpl

Code: Select all

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html dir="<?php echo $direction; ?>" lang="<?php echo $code; ?>">
<head> 
<title><?php echo $title; ?></title>

<meta name="description" content="<?php echo $title; ?>">
<meta name="keywords" content="<?php echo $title; ?>">

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo $charset; ?>">
<base href="<?php echo $base; ?>">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="catalog/template/<?php echo $this->directory; ?>/css/default.css">
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="<?php echo $title; ?>" href="rss.php">
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="catalog/template/<?php echo $this->directory; ?>/image/favicon.ico">
</head>
Last edited by adam777 on Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Qphoria » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:17 pm

Won't really solve it, as it would only be using the title as the keyword. If you are selling something like "Thundercats DVD" then you'd want a lot of keywords like "lion-o, tigra, thundera, mummra, sword of omens, snarf, thundercats, thunder-cats, panthero, cheetara"
and description like "The complete Thundercats DVD Box set"

But most good search engines use the words in the rest of the page anyway to create keywords. If you set up google analytics for your site you can see the keywords that it generates for you for many products. Like I have a GPS on my site and it shows that searches for "GPS, Global Positioning, garmin, nuvi, telenav, tomtom, etc" will all find my site, even without having meta tags. meta tags are somewhat old fashioned but still useful if you'd like to specify terms that wouldn't normally be associated with the product you are selling.

I will look at a quick meta contrib for 0.7.9 and we will likely incorporate it into the core for 0.8

Administrator

Post by nextgenxx » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:14 am

@JohnnyO Thanks... I have been away for the holidays, now back to opencart & seo optimization and chrome browser work. go rams...

Post by nextgenxx » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:27 am

http://www.frontpageslideshow.net/

Has anybody tried this with opencart? I think it is something I might look into vs. a flash intro. I am thinking about having a nice fade in / fade out of products and sales...
So I got this installed and seems to work well so far. I still have some things to tweak but this is way cooler then a flash intro because it is search engine friendly. Take a look, let me know what you think

www.ecobabygear.com/store