Post by justcurious » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:21 pm

I got the email to developers about not offering lower prices by going to a different url in extension descriptions.

I completely understand where this is coming from, but . . .

one of the "bad" examples was:
View the demo of the templates at this link: http://www.xnetus.net/template/temp0845/
I do (did) provide links to demo's for some of my extensions, so potential buyers can see better how the extension works. I have never, however, offered them at a lower price. Is this allowed?

If not, what about screencasts? Are they allowed (bearing in mind an unscrupulous developer could also use this method to advertise their product cheaper elsewhere)?

Some clarification on this would be very helpful

Google Product Feed - Get your products into Google Shopping. Includes a bulk update facility.
Backup Pro - Backup (on demand or scheduled), Restore and Clone your store.
Freestyle Box - Add multiple information boxes on multiple pages of your store. Includes optional "Code Mode".
View my other extensions

Location - UK

Post by MarketInSG » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:09 pm

i think linking to your demo site is alright. I link all my mods to a live demo site too.

Guru Member

Location - Singapore

Post by villagedefrance » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:23 pm

I had the same email and had to update all my past extensions before risking a ban!

I agree with justcurious, the Demo links are a problem because purchasers want to see what they are buying before commiting to pay for an extension .. and that's perfectly understandable in my opinion.

I don't know what the answer is, but as it is, purchasers will be unable to check before they buy.

It is somehow ironic that we now have the possibility to use BBcodes when posting extension descriptions, but we can't safely use them because it could be interpreted as advertising!

Suggestions anyone?

OpenCart custom solutions @ https://villagedefrance.net

Location - UK

Post by marvmen21 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:51 am

I think having links to demos is not the problem, and not what the OC team was referring to, the issue is linking to other sites where you can buy the extension at a lower price or directly advertising other extensions / websites. In my case, I have a specific subdomain where my customer can see the demos of my extensions, but they always have to come back to the OC store if they want to get the extension.

Marvin

You want to thank me for my time! :) Click here to donate

Post by luizeduardo » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:58 am

Demo is very important, i hope they keep this with some politics, probably.

The safer way is to ensure you ll only show the demo, in a different site of ur own marketplace an all done.

Post by justcurious » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:58 pm

In my case, I have a specific subdomain where my customer can see the demos of my extensions, but they always have to come back to the OC store if they want to get the extension.
This is what I was doing and am looking to continue doing, but do the Opencart Team have the resources to follow each link to a demo site to check it out?
I think having links to demos is not the problem, and not what the OC team was referring to, the issue is linking to other sites where you can buy the extension at a lower price or directly advertising other extensions / websites.
I would like to hear that from the OC team before risking being banned because I have not conformed to the policy rules!

Google Product Feed - Get your products into Google Shopping. Includes a bulk update facility.
Freestyle Box - Add multiple information boxes on multiple pages of your store. Includes optional "Code Mode".
View my other extensions

Location - UK

Post by MarketInSG » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:27 pm

shouldn't be a problem with demo links.

The only most obvious links that I think shouldn't be there are

1. FInd us on facebook
2. You may also like blah blah blah
3. Check out or new xxxxx product
4. check out our website here

I still see quite a number of mods with those URLs anyway.

Guru Member

Location - Singapore

Post by Johnathan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:57 pm

Demo links are not the issue -- I think Daniel didn't mean to include that particular link, or that it was not just a demo (it's no longer working, so there's no way to tell). I'm trying to help clarify the policy for people as I understand it, so you can see the discussion on it here:

http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=97165

Image Image Image Image

Global Moderator

Post by justcurious » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:50 am

Thanks for the clarification Jonathan, I feel a lot happier about this now

View my other extensions

Location - UK