Post by mfurman2 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:45 am

Hello Everyone,

After many hours of reading post I only came up with bits and pieces of information but I don't have enough to put the pieces together for me to be confident enough to give the green light to switch.

We have been with cubecart for quite sometime now and we have a great spot in the search engine rankings. As of now cubecart is too limited in terms of what we want to do with our redesign.

We know as of now our SEO wont be affected by switching DNS/Hosting, now we just need to be absolutely confident our SEO wont be affected by switching.

If it only has a super short term affect that would be fine.

If anyone can help me better understand the consequences if any your knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Also if there's any links to tutorials or other knowledge bases in regards to our above listed concerns we'd greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks again for your time and we look forward to hearing from you.

Matt

Post by cwswebdesign » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:46 am

Nothing is ever guaranteed with SEO and what will happen when a site is crawled.

You'll definitely want to make a 301 redirect from the old site to the new one and update google webmaster with a change of address. The hard part is the individual page URL's. If they don't match up the same (www.site.com/old-url vs www.site.com/new-url) you'll lose rankings there.

To get better feedback, it'd be a good idea to post the link of the current site and the new one if possible to review.

DL

This account is inactive. Look for us under the name 'EvolveWebHosting' and contact us under that username.

Thanks!

Location - USA

Post by labeshops » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:45 pm

I also switched from cubecart to opencart. While I temporarily lost some rankings, I've come back higher than before in most cases as opencart has better seo functions than cubecart did (at least v3 which is what I used to use - I was "Mysty" on their forums fyi)

I did 301 redirects for my most popular products and all those that were linked from pinterest, facebook, etc. I did a custom 404 page telling people to please browse the new, improved store and that new items were being added daily, etc. Redid google product feeds and sitemaps, bing, yahoo feeds etc which helped a lot.

Still a work in progress as usual, but if you have the luxury of time (my cubecart stores were hacked and disappeared in a day) and can wait til all your products are in and ready in opencart before you make the switch, I would. I still have about 50,000 products to add so my sales took a dip too. Slowly coming back to more normal levels, but wasn't as easy as a slower transition would have been.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by victorj » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:08 am

Also came from cubecart.

used a very afordeble service from cart2cart to convert product orders and customers to move to opencart,
Took some time to make everything workin to my likes and sales improved after switching over.
Seo on opencart is far better

Koeltechnische deurrubbers eenvoudig online op maat bestellen.
Alle niet stekplichtige onderdelen zoals scharnieren, sloten, randverwarming en verlichting voor alle typen koelingen en vriezers.
https://koelcel-onderdelen.com

Expert Member

Location - Alkmaar Holland

Post by MarieM » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:14 pm

Hi there,

Your SEO will definitely go down after migration it is a typical situation. But look at this from the other point of view, you'll get a lot more tools to improve your SEO and most likely it will be quite easy to get your rankings back.
I would suggest you to google for some articles with tips on how to avoid most common SEO problems that appear after migration, like this one http://www.shopping-cart-migration.com/ ... r-seo-safe
Good luck =)