Post by nucode » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:43 am

Hi,

We intend to sell car parts, and for some parts we'd like to sell "sets"/"kits".
An example would be a engine rebuild kit, where as we have all the gasket, piston ring, bearing, bolts etc. listed separately, but then we'd have several overhaul kits, for example:

Kit #1: Full engine gasket set and all bearings
Kit #2: Full engine gasket set, all bearings, piston rings, cylinder head bolts
Kit #3: Full engine gasket set, all bearings, piston rings, pistons with pins, cylinder head bolts, oil pump, water pump

And these kits would depend upon the inventory of each sub-item/item they are linked to.
Naturally i would like to highlight also the discount one gets for buying a kit ;)

Other kits would be something like full race suspension setups, NA to Turbo conversion kits etc.

How can i do this with OpenCart?

Post by Eugene » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:21 pm

Hi nucode,

I'm working on a new website for a customer who produces and sells workwear. He sells kits too (ie gloves, mask, white coat, shoe covers in one package).
Instead of creating a new feature I'm thinking about using the default OpenCart product running. I'm going to create a "KIT" category in which I'll put all the kits with pictures, description and all the information.
Then I'll put in the "related products" panel the sigle items that make the kit (and the same goes in each product information), so the customer knows what produtcs can be bought as a kit, discount and whatelse.
I think this would work fine and I don't have to create a new feature (even becouse I'm not so good in that).

Hope it helps.

-- Do. Or do not. There is no try. --

www.yodastudio.com

Location - Dagobah

Post by nucode » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:35 am

That still creates extra steps etc.

In our case biggest problem is very limited inventory. So it has to be somewhat autonomous.

I'm thinking of creating a new product which availability is controlled in a cron job, got to hard code the kits in it but by far easiest.

Post by Eugene » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:06 am

You can already set product availability date via control panel (if I understood what you mean).
Anyway, I suggest you to wait few more day for some support, everybody is now on holidays.

Good luck.

-- Do. Or do not. There is no try. --

www.yodastudio.com

Location - Dagobah