Post by MayAnn » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:01 pm

Interesting topic indeed. I'm curious about something though which I can't seem to find. That I am about to launch a website which I want to have in Dutch for the Dutch market, and English for the rest of the world. Possibly with adding more languages.

So I have two domains mayann.nl and mayann.eu; Can I link those to the two different languages when I run one store and is this good for seo? Or should I run a multistore website with one in English and one in Dutch?

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:53 pm

Post by BrianW » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:32 pm

MayAnn wrote:That I am about to launch a website which I want to have in Dutch for the Dutch market, and English for the rest of the world. Possibly with adding more languages.

So I have two domains mayann.nl and mayann.eu; Can I link those to the two different languages when I run one store and is this good for seo? Or should I run a multistore website with one in English and one in Dutch?
I'm not 100% certain what you mean by linking those sites to the two different languages -- but generally the best way to handle multiple languages for SEO is to put each language version in a separate directory, subdomain, or top-level domain (whatever makes the most sense for you -- though separate TLDs have some good regional advantages for SEO) and use rel=alternate hreflang tags to map the languages to each other.

Essentially what you're doing is the English version of any given page has header tags that list it as the English version, and point to the Dutch version. The Dutch page has the same tags, listing itself and the English version.

You can see Google's description of how to implement hreflang tags here (it's pretty simple and straight forward): https://support.google.com/webmasters/a ... 9077?hl=en

Word of warning: Google seems to ignore the hreflang tags if you only have them on part of your site. It seems like you need them on all pages for it to work. But then Google will know they are alternate region versions of the same page, and authority should be shared between the language versions.

Give a man a fire and you make him warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and you make him warm for the rest of his life.
http://www.awesomedice.com


New member

Posts

Joined
Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:39 am
Location - Massachusetts

Post by ZD-Vapes » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:56 am

labeshops Thanks for posting this thread.Understanding SEO is bind boggling.I've read this thread but what is 301.Shuold I use a SEO extension to help me with SEO's.I've reacently gone live with my opencart store but don'nt know if I've used proper keywords. ::)

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:49 am

Post by labeshops » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:54 pm

ZD-Vapes wrote:labeshops Thanks for posting this thread.Understanding SEO is bind boggling.I've read this thread but what is 301.Shuold I use a SEO extension to help me with SEO's.I've reacently gone live with my opencart store but don'nt know if I've used proper keywords. ::)
301 is a server side redirect from one url to another. If your store is new, you won't have to worry about it. For me, I changed from a different cart software so did 301 redirects so the links that had a different format from the old cart software would direct to the correct products/etc in the opencart version.

Keyword research is an ongoing process and you can refine it over time fortunately. If you make a lot of changes, I always suggest you resubmit your site map manually thru webmaster tools (google, bing, etc), so it is indexed faster, but eventually the search engines will pick up your changes. I am constantly rewriting text and refining keywords, adding more text on different pages, etc. You don't have to do it all at once. Take the time to do the research though and come up with a list of keywords you want to try to rank for. I keep a text file for keywords I can pop up when I need to write anything for my store.

Here is a good article on how to research keywords that might help. http://www.shopify.com/blog/9467565-how ... l-keywords

Running Opencart v2.2 with multi-stores from http://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Image


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:41 am
Location - Florida, USA

Post by labeshops » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:50 am

One thing I've recently done is started adding unique titles to each product, category and information page. There are several mods in the extension store that adds this ability to opencart and I am finding a boost for both queries and click thru rates since I've been doing it. Still working on updating all my products, but one thing this lets you do is to use a different keyword set in the page title (displays in the search engine results and in the browser) than the product name or give added relevance to a keyword I want to rank for. Remember, these display in search engines as the title but don't show up on your product page (they are shown at the top or on the tab for most browsers, but most customers don't even look there - this is more for search engines) so you can also include more of a call to action in the title than you might want on the product page. The goal is to make someone want to click on it so adding a benefit like "Ships Free" to what otherwise would just be the name of the product can do that. Some tips for writing great titles can be found here: http://moz.com/learn/seo/title-tag

I've also had several people pm lately about seo questions so thought I'd comment on a few of them here for others wondering similar things.

Q: What mod should I use to automatically create my seo url keywords:

A: Honestly, I don't recommend any mods for auto generating your seo urls and feel doing them manually is much better as you should research your keywords (see my post a little above in this thread) to properly include them instead. This is especially true if you tend to have long product names (which I don't recommend but I know some feel the need to do). The seo url, like titles, gives you an opportunity to give yourself some keyword benefits so don't just go with your product name necessarily but use those keywords. Keep your urls short with the most important keywords only and not every benefit, model it is used for, or whatever else you might feel you need in it. Keep it 3-6 words at most and a good phrase (long tail keyword) is best. It does have to be unique, so I add my sku number at the end like "black-fishnet-stockings-8201" which will keep it unique as I add more products. If you want to save on typing, using a mod is fine as long as you edit the results to keep them short. Review them, don't just hit "save" without looking at them. Once you set an seo url you should NEVER CHANGE IT unless you have to - this will cause 404 errors from links people might have saved or have posted on the social networks. If you have to change it, do a 301 redirect in your htaccess file to maintain any link juice it already has. Automating things I know saves time, but I really believe that taking the time for things like keyword research, writing good titles, urls, and descriptions while adding products is an investment in better traffic and better sales and just plain HAS to be done.

Q: I'm getting traffic to my store but am also getting a high bounce rate. How can I keep people on my store?

A. Your goal should be to get the lowest bounce rate you can (under 50% for sure) and this can be hard to figure out. (Bounce rate means how quickly people leave your site after clicking thru to it).

First off, make sure you are not seeing referrals from semalt.com in your referral list in google analytics. This is a search engine spider that will mess up your stats as it always shows a 100% bounce rate. See http://priteshpatel.me/how-to-exclude-t ... le-filter/ for how to filter it out of your results. Then allow about a week for your stats to settle out more accurately once you do. I suddenly saw 80+ bounce rate that freaked me out until I discovered this messing with my stats myself.

Next you need to do some detective work. Take a look at what search queries generate your highest bounce rate and then look at the landing pages for those queries. Do the query terms actually match that page meaning if they are searching for "red corsets" but are landing on a page that has a red skirt on it instead, figure out why & fix it. Do you have the wrong keywords, tags, or other bad info making the search engine link to the wrong page? Next look at the loading time and design of the page. Is it loading in 3 seconds or less? People are impatient so if your site is slow to load, often they will just click the back button on their browser and click on a different site link. Do everything you can to speed up your site loading time. Is there enough information above the fold (the top screen full of data they see first) to make them want to read about the product and buy it? A good photo, the main details like price, options available, etc, should all be above the fold. Think about what makes you click right off a page you land on and make sure your site isn't guilty of the same thing. Ask friends and family - sometimes what is obvious to someone else you don't even notice.

Lowering bounce rate is a continual experiment so keep tweaking things until it gets below 50% and then keep working on it more to get it lower.

Running Opencart v2.2 with multi-stores from http://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Image


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:41 am
Location - Florida, USA

Post by Joxe » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:56 am

Hi Guys,

My store used to appear in 1st page of google (using the usual search keywords I use) but for any reason now my store only appears on the 3 or 4 page ???
I didnt change anything and I'm doing what I was doing...any suggestions?

v. 1.4.9.6 & v. 2.0.2.0


Active Member

Posts

Joined
Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:12 am

Post by labeshops » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:19 am

Google is constantly changing it's algorithms and a lot of times after they do, your rank will be affected. Sometimes it's only a temporary drop, sometimes it's more permanent. You might want to read thru their blog and adjust your seo some if need be.

Running Opencart v2.2 with multi-stores from http://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Image


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:41 am
Location - Florida, USA

Post by Joxe » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:37 am

labeshops wrote:Google is constantly changing it's algorithms and a lot of times after they do, your rank will be affected. Sometimes it's only a temporary drop, sometimes it's more permanent. You might want to read thru their blog and adjust your seo some if need be.
OK Thanks! I'll see what I can do.

v. 1.4.9.6 & v. 2.0.2.0


Active Member

Posts

Joined
Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:12 am

Post by labeshops » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:13 pm

dpaulbenjie wrote:I'm a new here, Please help me on what's the best style on SEO on this year 2014?
This thread is really about seo and opencart not seo in general or what the latest techniques are. I suggest you do research at sites like www.moz.com or other seo blogs/forums.

Running Opencart v2.2 with multi-stores from http://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Image


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:41 am
Location - Florida, USA

Post by paulsimmons » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:05 pm

Great to know that, However sometimes we need to do some efforts and show patience as for highly competitive keywords its not possible to rank on 1st page in 4 months. OpenCart is good when it comes to SEO but like others it need quality SEO work support like Guest Posting, InforGraphic etc for quick results

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:42 pm
Location - Austin, Texas

Post by nastytel » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:43 pm

labeshops wrote:One thing I've recently done is started adding unique titles to each product, category and information page. There are several mods in the extension store that adds this ability to opencart and I am finding a boost for both queries and click thru rates since I've been doing it. Still working on updating all my products, but one thing this lets you do is to use a different keyword set in the page title (displays in the search engine results and in the browser) than the product name or give added relevance to a keyword I want to rank for. Remember, these display in search engines as the title but don't show up on your product page (they are shown at the top or on the tab for most browsers, but most customers don't even look there - this is more for search engines) so you can also include more of a call to action in the title than you might want on the product page. The goal is to make someone want to click on it so adding a benefit like "Ships Free" to what otherwise would just be the name of the product can do that. Some tips for writing great titles can be found here: http://moz.com/learn/seo/title-tag

I've also had several people pm lately about seo questions so thought I'd comment on a few of them here for others wondering similar things.

Q: What mod should I use to automatically create my seo url keywords:

A: Honestly, I don't recommend any mods for auto generating your seo urls and feel doing them manually is much better as you should research your keywords (see my post a little above in this thread) to properly include them instead. This is especially true if you tend to have long product names (which I don't recommend but I know some feel the need to do). The seo url, like titles, gives you an opportunity to give yourself some keyword benefits so don't just go with your product name necessarily but use those keywords. Keep your urls short with the most important keywords only and not every benefit, model it is used for, or whatever else you might feel you need in it. Keep it 3-6 words at most and a good phrase (long tail keyword) is best. It does have to be unique, so I add my sku number at the end like "black-fishnet-stockings-8201" which will keep it unique as I add more products. If you want to save on typing, using a mod is fine as long as you edit the results to keep them short. Review them, don't just hit "save" without looking at them. Once you set an seo url you should NEVER CHANGE IT unless you have to - this will cause 404 errors from links people might have saved or have posted on the social networks. If you have to change it, do a 301 redirect in your htaccess file to maintain any link juice it already has. Automating things I know saves time, but I really believe that taking the time for things like keyword research, writing good titles, urls, and descriptions while adding products is an investment in better traffic and better sales and just plain HAS to be done.

Q: I'm getting traffic to my store but am also getting a high bounce rate. How can I keep people on my store?

A. Your goal should be to get the lowest bounce rate you can (under 50% for sure) and this can be hard to figure out. (Bounce rate means how quickly people leave your site after clicking thru to it).

First off, make sure you are not seeing referrals from semalt.com in your referral list in google analytics. This is a search engine spider that will mess up your stats as it always shows a 100% bounce rate. See http://priteshpatel.me/how-to-exclude-t ... le-filter/ for how to filter it out of your results. Then allow about a week for your stats to settle out more accurately once you do. I suddenly saw 80+ bounce rate that freaked me out until I discovered this messing with my stats myself.

Next you need to do some detective work. Take a look at what search queries generate your highest bounce rate and then look at the landing pages for those queries. Do the query terms actually match that page meaning if they are searching for "red corsets" but are landing on a page that has a red skirt on it instead, figure out why & fix it. Do you have the wrong keywords, tags, or other bad info making the search engine link to the wrong page? Next look at the loading time and design of the page. Is it loading in 3 seconds or less? People are impatient so if your site is slow to load, often they will just click the back button on their browser and click on a different site link. Do everything you can to speed up your site loading time. Is there enough information above the fold (the top screen full of data they see first) to make them want to read about the product and buy it? A good photo, the main details like price, options available, etc, should all be above the fold. Think about what makes you click right off a page you land on and make sure your site isn't guilty of the same thing. Ask friends and family - sometimes what is obvious to someone else you don't even notice.

Lowering bounce rate is a continual experiment so keep tweaking things until it gets below 50% and then keep working on it more to get it lower.
Gongats Labelshop!
Great Job!!
Could you tell me which template you use for your nice shop?

Thank you very much!

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:12 pm

Post by labeshops » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:58 pm

All my stores use the default theme except those with a black background that started out a s free one, I think called carbon. Then I edit everything myself.
Last edited by labeshops on Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Running Opencart v2.2 with multi-stores from http://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Image


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:41 am
Location - Florida, USA

Post by labeshops » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:59 pm

paulsimmons wrote:Great to know that, However sometimes we need to do some efforts and show patience as for highly competitive keywords its not possible to rank on 1st page in 4 months. OpenCart is good when it comes to SEO but like others it need quality SEO work support like Guest Posting, InforGraphic etc for quick results
I totally agree

Running Opencart v2.2 with multi-stores from http://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Image


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:41 am
Location - Florida, USA

Post by nastytel » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:29 pm

Labelshops... thanks a lot!!

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:12 pm

Post by nootkan » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:01 am

labeshops wrote:Yes, you do have to keep an eye out on what google has changed and tweak your sites accordingly. I've recently added the schema.org markups, redid my h1 - h6 tags to highlight the most important info on my product pages
This is an awesome thread and I'm glad I found it. Labeshops what are the schema.org changes you discuss and how did you make the changes to the schema.org markups and h1 - h6 tags as I see no where in my admin backend to make or add those changes to each product page? Also do you have any instructions on how to fix the microformat errors I see in my webmaster tools account as all my research is very hard to understand and nothing seems to be able to be fixed in the admin backend and my php is non existent so hard coding is out of the question for me. Is there an extension that you or someone else following this thread know of that possibly resolves the schema.org markup and microformat issues? Thanks again for an excellent thread and all your great support.

New member

Posts

Joined
Mon May 26, 2014 5:21 am

Post by labeshops » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:00 am

There are extensions now for microformats and schema - I just edited my template files to add them in before the extensions were available. Mainly product.tpl

Running Opencart v2.2 with multi-stores from http://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Image


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:41 am
Location - Florida, USA

Post by Evans » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:06 am

I've had a site online since September and I researched SEO when setting it up (thank you also labeshops for this thread!) - I have good keyword inclusion as a natural part of product description etc. (i.e. I haven't done keyword stuffing) , SEO urls enabled etc., , original content etc., but when I do a search for my main keywords in google my site doesn't appear (I looked all the way through the pages returned). Would anyone have any ideas as to why this is or what I could do so my site does appear? My site does appear okay if I search for my site name - that's not problem. I have business pages on Google +, facebook, pinterest, and a blog. It just does not show anything when I search for the keywords. Any experience or suggestions offered would be appreciated.

New member

Posts

Joined
Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:14 am

Post by labeshops » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:58 am

Without knowing your site or keywords, this would be hard to say, though have you checked google webmaster tools and see if you have any google penalties or issues showing? Make sure you submitted your site map and that it didn't have any issues being crawled.

What queries is your site being shown for? If they don't match the keywords you are trying to rank for, take another look at your pages. Make sure the keywords are including in your product name, alt tags, etc.

If you are being shown in queries but not getting clicks - how can you boost it? Try rewriting your meta description and title for those pages and make it more enticing. Perhaps you need to increase your selection in that category?

You really have to play detective to figure out how to boost your clicks and conversions.

Running Opencart v2.2 with multi-stores from http://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Image


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:41 am
Location - Florida, USA

Post by andicac » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:51 pm

My name is Toni, I downloaded url automatic_seo and I have placed on my server doing the modifications, but now it's gone anywhere and throws me the error 500 internal server error. I currently use the version of opencart 1.5.6.1. this happens when I change the extension htacces.txt a .htaccess file. If I load the original file does not work. You know what might be the solution ?, I need to load a vqmod? Sorry but I'm not very experienced at this. The point is that I found your seo url module in opencart extensions and found it interesting to implement.
In opencart files not coming the .htaccess file, then I tried to make one copy I put:

RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^sitemap.xml$ index.php?route=feed/google_sitemap [L] RewriteRule ^googlebase.xml$ index.php?route=feed/google_base [L] RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !.*\.(ico|gif|jpg|jpeg|png|js|css)
RewriteRule ^([^?]*) index.php?_route_=$1 [L,QSA]

To:
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^sitemap.xml$ index.php?route=feed/google_sitemap [L] RewriteRule ^googlebase.xml$ index.php?route=feed/google_base [L] RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !.*\.(ico|gif|jpg|jpeg|png|js|css)
RewriteRule ^([^?]*) index.php?_route_=$1 [L,QSA] RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^route=common/home$
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ http://www.vadewines.com? [R=301,L]

If you do the step above your home page will change from something like this: http://www.vadewines.com/index.php?route=common/home to this: http://www.vadewines.com

Thank you very much

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:26 pm

Post by labeshops » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:13 am

You really need to contact the mod developer for help.

Running Opencart v2.2 with multi-stores from http://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Image


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:41 am
Location - Florida, USA
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests