Post by billfryer » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:49 pm

I've been looking at mobile frameworks for some of my sites. And there are these two extensions available:

http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... on_id=4541
and
http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... on_id=4168

Does anyone have any experience of using either of these?

Or (the ultimate) has anyone actually used both and can report on their experiences?

http://www.billfryer.com - the direct marketing agency
http://www.billfryercopywriter.co.uk - the copywriter

Location - Warminster, UK

Post by Avvici » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:05 pm

I don't, Maybe someone else does

Expert Member

Location - Asheville, NC

Post by ase618 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:28 am

I am wondering the same thing. Anyone have any experience?

artisantool.co
Don't forget to add [SOLVED] to your Thread Title (first post), if your issue is solved.

Post by bigchili » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:12 pm

It would be preferable to use a Responsive theme instead of a dedicated mobile theme. With a responsive theme you only have to install one theme and it will adjust to the screen size of whichever device it is being viewed from. There are several Responsive Themes for OC. Google it or search it in the extension store.

Post by Tcalp » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:31 am

between the two I like Omtex better, but there are also some great responsive or twitter framed themes which downgrade to mobile without added / custom theme re-direction.

However, i do love the navigation systems in Omtex (for mobile).

Increase Page Speed (#1 rated commercial extension on OpenCart Marketplace)
15in1 Essential Extensions Value Pack Premium Customer Testimonials Reward Points Extended Admin Security Lockdown Suite

irc.freenode.net #opencart

Post by MrTech » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:25 pm

I've owned OMF since last year and can tell you it works as advertised. I've had countless emails with the author, he replies quickly and even put in some features I needed. Report that this doesn't work and how I would fix it gets positive replies from the author. I paid full price for it after trying the free version for a couple weeks and haven't looked back.

I did lots of research and can tell you both products are not the same. OMF is about mobile and making your site work fast on mobiles, period. Fast is key no matter what they say! I can register, purchase and pay using my mobile and OMF so what more could you want?

~
Install Extensions OR OpenCart Fast Service! PayPal Accepted
I will professionally install and configure any free or purchased theme, module or extension.

Visit http://www.mrtech.ca if you need an OpenCart webmaster
~

Location - Canada, Eh!

Post by ase618 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:50 am

So are you saying that Omtex and OMF are not responsive themes?

artisantool.co
Don't forget to add [SOLVED] to your Thread Title (first post), if your issue is solved.

Post by uksitebuilder » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:08 pm

They are completely separate themes that trigger by mobile detection/redirection based on user agent and/or screen size

ImageImageImageImage

For Friendly Professional Support - Click Here

Guru Member

Location - United Kindgom

Post by ase618 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:45 am

I see. Most of the "responsive" themes I have looked at don't look or function very good ie. way to small pages, small buttons, etc. compared to Omtex/OMF. Seems to be difficult to find a responsive theme that is actually good on a mobile. Maybe it's just what I have been looking at. Any one have any suggestions for themes to look at.

artisantool.co

Post by ase618 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:27 am

Well apparently I was mistaken on my previous post. On sites that display the demo sites within a frame(iframe I think they are) such as themeforest you have to close the frame before it will display properly. Some of them still do not display 100% correctly but a whole lot better than a desktop site! Now I just have to find one I like....

artisantool.co

Post by JNeuhoff » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:29 pm

We have been using Omtex mobile on a live site for the past few months. Omtex mobile has some promising potential, but also some serious bugs at the moment in its product page. I managed to fix some of them, but it still causes a page freeze when using the reviews pagination. Also, because it uses jquery.mobile, it is quite a challenge do your own styling, as there many dynamically generated elements and attributes, it require long Firebug sessions to see what is generated where for the styling. Opcrat (the producer of Omtex mobile) support is quite slow, we have been waiting for weeks to have a bugfix done.

Override Engine * Integrated VQMod * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Rich Snippets * Google Tag Manager * Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Survey Plus

Expert Member

Post by taesha » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:10 pm

Hi,

Looking for some updated feedback on this discussion. Any input on performance/speed? I'd like to customise the theme to align with our current desktop look & feel.

Thanks,
T

Post by gerganadimova » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:18 pm

Hi there, taesha,

I'm Gergana from the OMFramework team. I'm biased, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. :)

As someone already mentioned, responsive themes might look a bit odd on a smartphone with small buttons, slow loading of the mobile website and so on. The reason is simple: a responsive theme is the desktop theme squeezed to fit on a smaller screen. A dedicated mobile theme is separate from your desktop theme and it's optimized solely for mobile devices. Mobile visitors are automatically redirected to the mobile theme and desktop visitors are redirected to the desktop theme.

As a result, a mobile theme performs almost always better than a responsive theme and this is the reason why we've been working on OMFramework for the past 3 years.

While you're wondering, you can try the free demo version of OMFramework: http://opencart.com/index.php?route=ext ... on_id=5125

You'll see how the mobile theme works with your website. If you have any questions or concerns about it, email support@braiv.zendesk.com. I'd be happy to help.

Cheers,
Gergana

Post by Spinner » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:03 am

Omtex Extension is the worst ever! It's not about the extension as a functionality, but the people or even the person behind the scenes of it! I have used this extension for almost a year now and since i have purchased it i am facing problems which starts from issues and functionality of the extension, in addition to the support and ends with customer service!

Every time they fix an issue, after hundreds or reminders to my request, the issue comes back again and never get resolved! They may even ask you not to install any modules on your website as it conflicts their extension. Hence, you end up using their extension with no other extension you may want to add to your website.

If you ask for a refund, they will never do it for you as i think that this thing is not applicable in their plan!

CONCLUSION: Don't you ever waste your money and time purchasing this extension. Take this word from me as trusted!

Post by Qphoria » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:12 am

I know this is way late to be posting but just came across this.... OMF doesn't load jQuery during checkout so almost all payments that use ajax will not work with OMF.. It looks like they try to force their own version of tpl files using form post instead of ajax callbacks but they are all unusable because you can't just force form posting on top of a callback function that expects json data. I had to add my own jquery reference to the payment tpl file and use jQuery noConflict() to get it to work. It looks like they load some other library like maybe mootools or prototype or something.. I couldn't tell to be honest and didn't bother to dig deeper. All I can say is how did anyone ever use this?

Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones

Administrator

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:42 am

Qphoria wrote:I know this is way late to be posting but just came across this.... OMF doesn't load jQuery during checkout so almost all payments that use ajax will not work with OMF.. It looks like they try to force their own version of tpl files using form post instead of ajax callbacks but they are all unusable because you can't just force form posting on top of a callback function that expects json data. I had to add my own jquery reference to the payment tpl file and use jQuery noConflict() to get it to work. It looks like they load some other library like maybe mootools or prototype or something.. I couldn't tell to be honest and didn't bother to dig deeper. All I can say is how did anyone ever use this?
In the footer_mobile.tpl, use this:

Code: Select all

<script src="http://cdn.app-framework-software.intel.com/2.1/appframework.min.js" type="text/javascript" ></script>
instead of

Code: Select all

<script src="http://cdn.jqmobi.com/jq.mobi.min.js" type="text/javascript" ></script>
This library has moved to above mentioned new web location.

Override Engine * Integrated VQMod * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Rich Snippets * Google Tag Manager * Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Survey Plus

Expert Member