Post by labeshops » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:24 pm

There are lots of threads about how to do/add things in OC, but not a lot of discussion about the work flow.

Would like to know how everyone else manages orders and keeps track of everything in Opencart. I LOVE OC, but am having problems keeping track of things - perhaps it's just my thinking how it *should* work and missing things that are already there. One of the problems I've always had with cart software in general is that the coders are usually so involved in fixing bugs and writing new code, they don't think about how we use the software - or need to. Perhaps this thread will stimulate ideas for all of us (and give modders/Daniel some ideas too).

So lets discuss...once you have your stores up, templated the way you want, products added and the nuts and bolts done...how do you handle the daily operation of your stores? How do you track orders? How do you track things you don't have in stock that you need to order (my biggest issue)? Do you use any 3rd party software? Do everything in opencart (or want to?)? When you get a shipment in from your vendors, how do you easily find what customer needs items in that shipment? Or how do you wish it would work??
Last edited by labeshops on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by labeshops » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:25 pm

I'll start things off too...

Handling orders for things I have in stock or are dropshipped is easy. Here is what I do after confirming payment:

If a dropship, I either place the order thru the manufacturers site or for those that don't have such a system, I click a link on my order history screen that generates an email with customer name, shipping address, products and other details. I edit anything I need to (like removing items not for the same vendor), fill in the vendors email address and send it off to them. Then I mark the order "shipment pending from manufacturer" and notify the customer. When I get the tracking number from my vendor, I use the tracking number extension updating it to "shipped" and notify the customer sending them the tracking number.

If its an order for something I have in stock, I print the invoice for the order, pack it, generate a label via stamps.com software, and use the tracking number extension updating it to "shipped" and notify the customer sending them the tracking number.

My biggest issue is for tracking items I don't have in stock and need to order from my vendors. As I don't stock a lot of items, this is the majority of my orders. Haven't found a great way to do this yet. I am currently using an excel spreadsheet to try to manage this creating running lists for my biggest vendors on separate tabs then copying/pasting this list into an email to actually order it. But it gets extremely confusing, gives me extra typing I have to do per order (and can potentially leave items off by accident) and generally slows down the process.

My #1 wish is a purchase order section in admin - when I get an order in for something not in stock, I'd like to be able to select that product and add it to a pending PO for the vendor with the customers name or order ID to link back to who I ordered it for. Then I could email the vendor that PO when I want to (say weekly) and start a new one for them while that one is being filled. I could mark the PO as received when it comes in and know exactly what customers need the items on it.

My #2 wish is for status I can set on each product in an order - if it's in stock, backordered, on order, whatever. I often get customers order multiple items in one order and this gets confusing to say the least

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by Avvici » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:47 pm

Everything you have stated, Open Cart already offers without extension addition.
But, let's address the biggest issue which you stated "twice" as your biggest issue...the issue of stock.

Stock quantities are shown by clicking on CATALOG>PRODUCTS. Each product will have a quantity column. The quantity goes down if a product is purchased. It goes up if you make it go up by changing the quantity.

You can track orders by clicking on SALES>ORDERS.

Expert Member

Location - Asheville, NC

Post by labeshops » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:14 pm

I know about stock, and really don't care about it as I do not maintain inventory. I order items as I get orders in, hense my problem is in managing ORDERS not stock.

And the Sales > Orders area is really insufficient if you have a lot of stores and orders as it lacks a lot of info like model numbers of what is ordered on the orders list, a tabbed view to more easily manage status and only view items of x status at once (the filter is a pain in the b*** if you get more than 1 page of orders a day you have to manage). No way to pull up orders by model number of items ordered which makes sorting shipments from vendors more of a nightmare than it should be.

I did just buy a purchase order extension I haven't installed yet so that might help a little, but there are still some basics I'd like to see.

I know my 30+ stores are more than most people do so my issues are amplified but I would really love to see OC develop some features that would help and perhaps let it move into areas for bigger stores. I'm looking to stay with opencart for the long term and trying to develop ways now of dealing with a few dozen orders a day before it turns into a few hundred+ a day. Not to mention being a 1 person company and having to do everything myself requires saving as many steps and as much time as possible

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by Avvici » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:54 pm

This is you, posing your biggest question: " How do you track things you don't have in stock that you need to order (my biggest issue)?" :laugh:

Like I said...if you really don't care about the stock then why ask the obvious question?

Expert Member

Location - Asheville, NC

Post by labeshops » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:55 am

Items you order for a particular customer to fill a particular order is not stock as it is never actually in inventory. It comes in, I ship it out. I never add it to inventory, never add it to stock in open cart or anywhere else.

Items I need to order for customers, matching those items to the right order/customer -that's what I'm talking about needing to do. Has not a thing to do with stock levels or inventory. Its order fulfillment.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by obzolete » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:15 am

Have you tried Brightpearl ?

Post by labeshops » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:56 pm

obzolete wrote:Have you tried Brightpearl ?
Never heard of it but taking a look, it does CRM and sales management. Don't need that. I am 1 person company with no sales reps, don't do wholesale, and don't do CRM. That's the problem with all 3rd party stuff I've looked at - it's way too expensive and complicated for what I need. All I need is to add a few things to what OC already does.

Thanks though.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by rwalker » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:24 am

Have you taken a look at any of the drop ship extensions?

http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... rop%20ship

Or purchase order extensions?

http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... se%20order

Discount Golf Clubs and Golf Equipment - Powered by Opencart

Post by labeshops » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:45 am

Dropshipping I have handled as already mentioned - I either order via their website or use an email link I created years ago.

I've tried the purchase order extension, but it is very cumbersome and I don't really use it. Still trying to figure out how to track items I need to order so things don't fall thru the cracks. But this was an older post so I pretty much have it down now.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA