Post by Franz-Peter » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:47 pm

Double content can only happen by some additional modules or functions. Examples are new products or featured products. If there is a new product on the home page, it is at the same time in its category listed as a product. And if it is also declared as featured, there are 3 links to the same product. Is that, what you mean with duplicated content?
I think it is very difficult to exclude that.

New member

Posts

Joined
Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:30 pm

Post by suhanto » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:22 pm

Franz,
I managed to avoid (or reduce) duplicated contents in OpenCart here:

http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6677

In my solution, I have to choose that product link is not prefixed by any attributes (category, manufacturer), and suffixes (for example in the search result; I don't get the point why the resulting links are added by search parameters).

So, if originally the content are duplicated across several links, for example:
  • /ipod-nano
  • /mp3-players/ipod-nano
  • /apple/ipod-nano
in my solution, all links are consolidated into:
  • /ipod-nano
wherever it is accessed. This is possible, since rewrite module in OC is done inside PHP scripts, so it is easy to change.

http://suhanto.net


User avatar
New member

Posts

Joined
Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:57 pm
Location - Jakarta, Indonesia

Post by towerofbabel » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:36 pm

suhanto wrote:Franz,
I managed to avoid (or reduce) duplicated contents in OpenCart here:

http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6677

In my solution, I have to choose that product link is not prefixed by any attributes (category, manufacturer), and suffixes (for example in the search result; I don't get the point why the resulting links are added by search parameters).

So, if originally the content are duplicated across several links, for example:
  • /ipod-nano
  • /mp3-players/ipod-nano
  • /apple/ipod-nano
in my solution, all links are consolidated into:
  • /ipod-nano
wherever it is accessed. This is possible, since rewrite module in OC is done inside PHP scripts, so it is easy to change.
Nice solution.

Currently working on Finance Trails, personal finance software for budget optimization.


New member

Posts

Joined
Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:55 pm

Post by adam777 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:53 pm

Has anyone written a decent:

1. robots.txt file to handle duplicate content,

2. 301 redirect in the HTACCESS file to handle all the possible Canconical URLs (more multiples of duplicate content), by redirecting everything to http://www.site.com/ or whatever your url choice is,

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/seo-advic ... alization/

...and willing to share? It's been fixed for Magento in their forum with these 2 fixes, so I guess its been done for Opencart by someone.

Cheers

Adam

User avatar
New member

Posts

Joined
Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:07 pm

Post by towerofbabel » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:18 pm

adam777 wrote:Has anyone written a decent:

1. robots.txt file to handle duplicate content,

2. 301 redirect in the HTACCESS file to handle all the possible Canconical URLs (more multiples of duplicate content), by redirecting everything to http://www.site.com/ or whatever your url choice is,

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/seo-advic ... alization/

...and willing to share? It's been fixed for Magento in their forum with these 2 fixes, so I guess its been done for Opencart by someone.

Cheers

Adam
robots.txt
solves dup. content if you can match it to a pattern, but doesn't help with link equity going to waste (doesn't stop the CMS creating alternative URLs, and therefore doesn't take preventative measures against other websites linking to you with alternative URLs)

301 redirect
ok solution, but preferable to stop the duplication before documents are parsed.

Currently working on Finance Trails, personal finance software for budget optimization.


New member

Posts

Joined
Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:55 pm

Post by adam777 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:24 pm

towerofbabel wrote: 301 redirect
ok solution, but preferable to stop the duplication before documents are parsed.
That's one side of the problem -although I don't understand parsing as I'm a hack :)

The other side is people typing or linking irrelevant urls like:

http://mysite.com
http://mysite.com/
http://www.mysite.com

instead of http://www.mysite.com/

Would the top of the .HTACCESS file look like this?

Code: Select all

RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase / 
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^mysite\.com$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^mysite\.com/$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.mysite\.com$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.mysite\.com/index.php?route=common/home$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.mysite\.com/$1 [R=301,L]
At the Apache.org website they mention something different which I don't understand, but that's ok.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/misc/rewriteguide.html

User avatar
New member

Posts

Joined
Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:07 pm

Post by towerofbabel » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:38 pm

adam777 wrote:
towerofbabel wrote: 301 redirect
ok solution, but preferable to stop the duplication before documents are parsed.
That's one side of the problem -although I don't understand parsing as I'm a hack :)

The other side is people typing or linking irrelevant urls like:

http://mysite.com
http://mysite.com/
http://www.mysite.com

instead of http://www.mysite.com/

Would the top of the .HTACCESS file look like this?

Code: Select all

RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase / 
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^mysite\.com$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^mysite\.com/$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.mysite\.com$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.mysite\.com/index.php?route=common/home$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.mysite\.com/$1 [R=301,L]
At the Apache.org website they mention something different which I don't understand, but that's ok.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/misc/rewriteguide.html
This issue has nothing to do with opencart specifically, as you are talking about the canonical domain root- and yes, it is a totally great thing to do, even though in the last year google deals with it really well - bing doesnt though.

Currently working on Finance Trails, personal finance software for budget optimization.


New member

Posts

Joined
Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:55 pm

Post by ctellier » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:04 pm

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.
RewriteRule (.*) http://www.%{HTTP_HOST}/store/$1 [R=301,L]

User avatar
New member

Posts

Joined
Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:36 am
Location - Wisconsin

Post by ANTHONY009 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:44 pm

By interacting with our clients and by truely understanding their needs as if they were our own, we decided to launch
to better serve the undeniable growing need for SEO specific hosting packages.

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:41 pm

Post by jty » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:54 pm

ANTHONY009 wrote:By interacting with our clients and by truely understanding their needs as if they were our own, we decided to launch
to better serve the undeniable growing need for SEO specific hosting packages.
I don't understand. If your SEO is so great, then why do you need to spam forums to get clients.

jty
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:19 am

Post by Xsecrets » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:57 pm

jty wrote:
ANTHONY009 wrote:By interacting with our clients and by truely understanding their needs as if they were our own, we decided to launch
to better serve the undeniable growing need for SEO specific hosting packages.
I don't understand. If your SEO is so great, then why do you need to spam forums to get clients.
LMAO!! :laugh:

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter


Guru Member

Posts

Joined
Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:51 am
Location - FL US

Post by martfoxhosting » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:16 am

The rel="nofollow" is an attribute you can set on an HTML <a> link tag, invented by Google, and adopted by others. Those links won't get any credit when Google ranks websites in the search results, but wont avoid indexing.

Ecommerce Web Hosting - SSL Certificates - USA & UK VPS Servers


User avatar

Posts

Joined
Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:06 am
Location - USA, UK, DE, A, CH, SK, CZ

Post by mystifier » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:50 pm

jty wrote:
ANTHONY009 wrote:By interacting with our clients and by truely understanding their needs as if they were our own, we decided to launch to better serve the undeniable growing need for SEO specific hosting packages.
I don't understand. If your SEO is so great, then why do you need to spam forums to get clients.
:laugh: I must admin ANTHONY009, you did make yourself sound a bit of an arse. Welcome to the forum for sharing technical advice, I hope can make good contribution (there's no 'e' in truly by the way).

Free v1.4.9 Extensions: Default Specials | Improved Search | Customer Activity Report | Customer Groups | Royal Mail With Handling | Improved Product Page | Random Products | Stock Report | All Products


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Tue May 18, 2010 5:15 pm

Post by PaulSmith1 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:29 am

Yes, it would give you SEO advantage, don't worry about other things, keep doing!

Member of Como Ganhar Dinheiro na Internet Club. Also fan of Monbusho Research Scholarship.


Newbie

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:21 am

Post by rapidsphare » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:22 pm

Duplicate Content Tool can also be useful to check if your resellers, partners or competitors are grabbing or reusing your original content.

SEO Web Designer | Quality Assurance Services | Organic Seo Services


Newbie

Posts

Joined
Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:17 pm
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 21 guests