Post by karlpers » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:06 am

I have some legal questions about getting payed for installing and modify webshops founded on opencart.

I have made some webshops using Opencart to other small companies, and there are more of them asking me to create webshops, this makes me planning to set up my own company that makes webshops for a small amount of charge. So, here comes two simple questions.

1. Am I allowed to place an "example shop" at my own server for showing how their potential webshop would possible look. (This will be a demonstation of opencart in the same way as it is at demo.opencart.com, but with my own template)

2. I have made some changes in opencart 1.2.9, Im I allowed to offer other users here at the commersial forum my modifyed version for charge? Or Im I only allowed to sell the modules.

I will of course always tell my customers that their webshops will be built on open source solutions, which are avaliable for free.

I know the isnt 100% moral, and I will always be thankful for all of you who developes this project, but I need to charge for the time Im spending on the modifying/installing/supporting.

Very best regards

Post by Fabian » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:34 am

Well, I can't promise that following statements are true, but I'm gonna try to answer as far as I remember/understand that license.

1. Nothing wrong with that.

2. I think you can offer your fork there and charge for the access or some kind of support-license. ( e.g. XT-Commerce )

But everyone who got it is free to distribute it, as your fork has to have the same license as OpenCart then.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards,

Fabian

Post by readyman » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:20 pm

Yes, you can resell/redistribute, but I will refer to the licence included in the download - "if you distribute copies of such a program, whether gratis or for a fee, you must pass on to the recipients the same freedoms that you received. You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the source code. And you must show them these terms so they know their rights."

Generally, with software, it comes down to whether you are adding any value to the product. So ask yourself, what value are you adding?
If you are installing it, for someone that would otherwise not be able to, that is your time and your skill - I encourage you to charge money for that.
If you are updating the code, adding your own templates and adding more value to the existing package, I encourage you to charge money for that.

But do not charge people money for something you got for free - it's not ethical and people will frown at your service when they find out that you sold them something they could download for free. eg. if you offer the package, without changes, from your site for a fee - you can do it, but be prepared for people to name shame you if you do.

http://www.alreadymade.com
Follow me on twitter.com/alreadymade

Global Moderator

Location - Sydney

Post by karlpers » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:44 am

Hi again, and thanks a lot for your opinion

I will, of course make it clear that "my" e-commerce system is built on opencart, which is free to download at opencart.com.

The thing is that I have added/changed a lot of details to make the shopping cart fit the swedish users, and also, I always create a new template especially for each customer. So the shopping cart system isnt really the same as the one which can be downloaded here at the website.

I would never take charge of the original version that can be downloaded. The thing is that its only shopping cart systems built in the 90s avaliable at the swedish market right now (built on frames etc.) And I want to offer them a modern alternative for a reasonable price, and I will do that besides my studies, so its not too unmoral I hope :P

Post by readyman » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:11 pm

It's not wrong at all... you have all rights to resell and make money... form a thriving business with opencart as your flagship product!!
Feel free to donate to the original developer, so that opencart can continue to develop as the best ecommerce system ever.
If you have swedish language packs or even some contributions that might benefit the wider opencart community we would appreciate your postings in the contribution section of the website.

http://www.alreadymade.com
Follow me on twitter.com/alreadymade

Global Moderator

Location - Sydney