Post by dnamedical » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:58 am

Is there anyone, that simple can explain me whats possible with OpenCart and multi shop. I´m selling the same few products in 5 different countryes, 5 different domains, different priceing in each country (not only the currency is different, also the priceing)

1. Can i make categorys / Products one time only, and then change text and pricing/currency for each country ?

2. Is the same functions there on all stores regarding to SEO functions, i.e. Meta describtion, meta tags, ect. ?

3. Is there anything else i schould be aware of ?

Please if possible on feedback, do not use to much tecnical terms. Im a sales person and would not understand it. It would be great if there was a live demo somewhere on a backend, with multi-store set up.

I have just spent time with a magento solution, and the only good thing for me there was that the multi-shop function was totally flexible. But the solution is too heavy for my small needs in functions. Opencart looks fine and simple, i just want to clear this out before i make the decision.

Post by fido-x » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:45 am

Have a look here: viewtopic.php?f=123&t=48155

Modules for OpenCart 2.3.0.2
Homepage Module [Free - since OpenCart 0.7.7]
Multistore Extensions
Store Manager Multi-Vendor/Multi-Store management tool

If you're not living on the edge ... you're taking up too much space!

Expert Member

Location - Tasmania, Australia

Post by dnamedical » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:47 am

I have just downloaded newest version, i made 1 category, and one product. Created 1 ekstra store.

It seams that it will not work. It seams that i have to add the categori and the product one time each for each store.

Is the function really that locked ?

Post by fido-x » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:22 am

dnamedical wrote:I have just downloaded newest version
The newest version of what?? Because it certainly wasn't my store manager that you downloaded.
dnamedical wrote:... i made 1 category, and one product. Created 1 ekstra store.

It seams that it will not work. It seams that i have to add the categori and the product one time each for each store.
The multi-store function in OpenCart does not automatically add categories and products to your second (or subsequent) store(s), you have to populate these yourself.

Modules for OpenCart 2.3.0.2
Homepage Module [Free - since OpenCart 0.7.7]
Multistore Extensions
Store Manager Multi-Vendor/Multi-Store management tool

If you're not living on the edge ... you're taking up too much space!

Expert Member

Location - Tasmania, Australia

Post by dnamedical » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:39 pm

:) I really really appriciate your interest in my problem, i just did not understand your first post, and then i thought i schould just download the latest version, and look at the functions. And as i see it, there is a multisite function that gives oppertunity running multiply sites using the same base. This iss although different from my needs, where i don´t want to create each product for each store, i just want to give it another price (not only another currency)

Sorry for not understanding your first post, would you try to make me understand in a different way ?

I had some experience with a backend in Magento that where set up as different "web-sites" instead of store-views, and its the same function im looking for. I just dont want to use magento, because i have just 20 products (in 10 different countryes, on 10 different domains), and magento seam quite "heavy" to host, ect. and i dont need any functions on my site(s)

My grandfather used to life in Tasmania, thanks for your input to me. Would you give it another try to make me understand ?

Kind regards

Post by dnamedical » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:16 pm

If my idea is not possible, i might as well have different independent shops ? That way i sepperate things totally, wich also has a advantage. My point here is, if i have 20 products (the same), sold in 10 different countryes on local domaines, i would with the multi-store function, end up with having 200 products ? in that way i belive i would prefer to seperate it totally, with 1 shop on each domaine.

in that way, i could also easy hand over (sell) 1 shop with the concept to a possible buyer, and that would be more diffecoult it it was set up on one store as "multi-sites" ?

I really think opencart could be the right platform to use, and i guess there are a good reason if the multi-store (multi-shop) ? function is made in another way than i.e. Magento. I could be because it would be very "heavy" to run ?

I have been using manny hours on figure this out, and would be really really very glad if someone could draw a clear line on me on this. I have noticed that Prestashop (wich is my secound choise), has a multi-store function planned in version 1.5, with release around february, that would meet my needs, i just don´t fanvy other things around presta, such as software issues i have read about.

I would absolute be good it i could have some feedback in my issues.

Have a nice one!

Post by grivates » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:37 pm

In my knowledge about the multi-store in opencart, I think it is possible to make an opencart with 1 admin operates 20 multi-store in 20 different countries.

You can sell the same products with different currency for each store. But if you want to sell in different price, you just need to setup different default user group for each store. Then assign a different price for each user group.

But first thing first is you must know how to create a multi-store in basic. In order to create multi-store you can use another sub-domain or another domain. For another sub-domain, create a sub-domain and set the directory as the same location to where the default opencart is installed [this directory setup is important]. Then go to OC admin panel, go to the system menu and setting. from there, click "Create A New Store" button and key in the sub-domain you have just created in the Store URL. Other information it depends on your need like default currency, default user and so on.

Hope the explanation above could help you.

Post by dnamedical » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:42 pm

Thanks for the input, i have allready made a ekstra shop on the version i downloaded, that was no problem at all, but i still cant add 1 product, sell it in the other store on other langue, without adding the product again there.

I did not want to make multiply multistores, i wanted to make 1 multistore where i could have my 20 products in the back-end, selling them at different priceing on different langue in each shop.

That function is avalible in magento, and the only way for me if i schould use a multi store instead of 10 single stores with exactly the same products, but on 10 different domaines in 10 different countrys.

Now yesteday i decided to take a look at the new Prestashop version 1.5.0.1 in alpha mode, thats expected to be stabile around end of february. Its totally flexible solution the, just like magento offers, but in much more userfriendly version than magento. Now, i really like the simple way opencart is made, and was, still is, exicited around opencart.

Thanks 4 your input, allthough some of my points where misunderstood i believe

Merry christmas

Post by misterstefi » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:12 am

Hello,
i am willing to run a multi-site install. i will have the installation made on a main domain. The question is: do the other domains wich i want to run on the same install have to be subdomains or parked domains of the maine domain on which the installation is made?
I would like each domain to have their own cpanels and be standalone domains. Is this possible?

Best Regards

Post by bigchili » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:57 am

misterstefi wrote:I would like each domain to have their own cpanels and be standalone domains. Is this possible?
Nope. Multi-shop needs to be on the same cPanel. You would need to use an addon or subdomain from your main domain's cPanel account. If you want separate cPanels, you would need to install a separate copy of OpenCart on each one of them.

Post by misterstefi » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:19 am

bigchili wrote:
misterstefi wrote:I would like each domain to have their own cpanels and be standalone domains. Is this possible?
Nope. Multi-shop needs to be on the same cPanel. You would need to use an addon or subdomain from your main domain's cPanel account. If you want separate cPanels, you would need to install a separate copy of OpenCart on each one of them.
Thank you a lot for the quick and useful answer.

best regards