Post by onlinemarketer » Sat May 14, 2011 8:46 pm

Hello people :)

There's a war in the office.

We normally use Magento, its extremely powerful and extremely customiseable.

For some new sites I have started using OpenCart.

While my colleagues set-up 1 shopping cart on Magento, I complete installation and configuration on about 10 OpenCart installations!

This is the beauty of OpenCart, it's so quick, you don't even know you've finished because it's so painless.

Now the question: With OpenCart extending its functionality rapidly, will it end up falling into the Magento trap? Or will OpenCart be able to add functionality without slowing down the time it takes to set-up and get an installation running?

I hope and pray that OpenCart maintains it's leading edge in simplicity and power!

Abs

Post by Xsecrets » Sat May 14, 2011 10:15 pm

well obviously with new features you will add a little bit of complexity, but I don't ever see opencart getting anything like magento. It is a very powerful and extremely flexible system, but it's just far to complicated. Having talked to the devs on opencart they all seem to like simplicity, so I don't believe it will ever get anywhere near as complicated as magento. I'm guessing the new layout system will probably be the most complicated thing ever added, but I think it's worth it for how much flexibility it gives you.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by MattW » Sat May 14, 2011 11:46 pm

I installed Magento to have a play about and see what all the fuss was about this week. It took me over 2 hours just to figure how to get the categories to display on the front page! It's stupidly over complicated, even to do basic things like add a product.

Location - Sheffield

Post by i2Paq » Sun May 15, 2011 4:23 pm

I believe that with Qphoria watching over Daniel ( ;) ) and both been known to have discussions on how to do certain things OpenCart will not fall into the same trap as PrestShop and (obviously) Magento did and getting bloated with crap 80% to 90% of most users will never use.

I rather see a large section of separate modules then have them all in one install (like Prestashop has).

Even with the 1.4.9.2 I removed most shipping and payment modules and the other extensions I never will use from my store-setup. And 1.4.9.x not even have a lot of modules.

The upcoming 1.5.x has a lot of new functions but looking at it I see that it is still fast (loadingtime), easy to setup and configure.
Still looks like a well designed and thought trough piece of work.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by Qphoria » Sun May 15, 2011 11:49 pm

lol nah.. my watchful eye has been poked out.. 1.5.x is daniel's baby only at this point. I've not looked at the code since RC1 was released as some of my changes have been denied. I'm just here for the ride now.

Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones

Administrator

Post by kingx » Wed May 18, 2011 2:14 am

No wonder you have that avatar, I can only imagine what it must be like

Post by Qphoria » Wed May 18, 2011 2:18 am

kingx wrote:No wonder you have that avatar, I can only imagine what it must be like
Qphoria points to nose... nods

Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones

Administrator

Post by traceofwind » Wed May 18, 2011 8:54 am

Interesting discussion!

For me and my clients OpenCart has always felt solid, whereas Magento felt like a fragile porcelain vase; most importantly OpenCart permeates responsiveness, it was always quick and by design 'clickable' -in user terms it was a 'sticky' website. OpenCart is a blank canvas that I can shape to my clients requirements -it's workable, open.

Moving forward, I really hope hope these hallmarks of OpenCart stay at its core.

Gary

Post by twiggy » Thu May 19, 2011 9:10 pm

To be honest the core has remaind prety much the same over the last few versions (only now in 1.5 is there a load of extra stuff) the beauty of opencart is its modular, so the core dosn't have to be bloated with stuff people wont use, if people want a feature they can simply plug it in.

I have made templates for Magento in the past and its an over complicated mess when it really dosn't need to be.

Post by xlbtech » Thu May 26, 2011 9:03 pm

We use opencart over magento because of the simplicity of the admin side. Most of our clients don't really want to know about anything complicated or really care! They just want to stick products on quick and easy and worry about selling. Magento just causes so much support hastle its untrue!

I just wish some of the great " common sense " mods in the extensions store was standard in oc. Like import / exports - any feed - Global options.

But cant nock it! I love it.. Thanks Dan!

Location - Midlands, UK

Post by onlinemarketer » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:48 pm

After playing with 1.5...

I can confirm...

Opencart has just become bigger and better!

Still simple to use and easy to customise without a steep learning curve!

Absolutely brilliant! Hats off to Daniel and the team!

Post by Daniel » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:21 pm

ok first off open cart does have more features than magento and it does not run anywhere near as slow.

magneto does not have a built in affliate system and by defaud does not come with any shipping methods.

you need to look how many files opencart uses and db queries each page load. it loads at least 1000 files per page request.

it takes 45 files just for magentos template system. opencart uses one file for the template system.

the people behind magento are incompetent. just like the people behind zend framework.

when i code i try to use the most simplest and easy to understand methods. also the way i code is how OOP should be coded without using static methods which logically should not exist in the OOP world.

another point is that magento spent over 1 million on marketing to get its self popular. opencarts become popular from word of mouth. i have not spent one penny on marketing.

paypals just bought magento so we will have to see how quickly they make a mess of things.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by Johnathan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:03 pm

Yeah, PayPal + Magento seems like they got together and said, "Hey, people hate both of us, why not combine our companies!?" ;D I'm not sure that's the best idea for improving either one of them.

Image Image Image Image

Global Moderator

Post by GoGo OpenCart » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:47 pm

Daniel wrote:the people behind magento are incompetent. just like the people behind zend framework.

paypals just bought magento so we will have to see how quickly they make a mess of things.
Johnathan wrote:Yeah, PayPal + Magento seems like they got together and said, "Hey, people hate both of us, why not combine our companies!?" ;D I'm not sure that's the best idea for improving either one of them.
:laugh: I couldn’t agree with you more ;D

See all my extensions: https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... 20OpenCart

Post by Digmen1 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:38 am

As a newbie and after reading this I am glad I did not chose Magento.

Post by Ominosoft » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:17 pm

I had bitter experience with Magento ,Zen cart and Virtue mart..
I love the simplicity and power of OC. Thanks a ton to Daniel and team.. :)

Post by Nathasha » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:33 pm

Yup Opencart is easy and awesome .Thanks daniel and team.