Post by Qphoria » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:26 pm

Looks very cool

Administrator

Post by jordan » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:25 am

Hi all,

I am fairly new to OpenCart but have been following this thread for a while since this feature is pretty important to me. As both an open-source developer and a store owner, I can see both perspectives. Store owners NEED a feature that may be a showstopper just to a small number of other stores, developers are swamped 'working for free' on the things that they care about more. I pose a potential solution:

What about a 'feature bidding' system to incentive the developers? Someone needs a certain feature, so offers a $50 reward. Someone else also needs that feature too so they can add another $20 to the incentive, and keeps going from there. Sooner or later the reward will be large enough to incentivize a developer to do it. Once a developer chooses to take on this feature, the end-users' money goes in escrow, and once the developer get to collect the bounty once he finishes the feature.

Plugins sort of do this, but I would rather pay money towards a feature that will go into the core, then pay money that goes into a plugin. Improving the core over plugins also helps the project and community as a whole. And of course as a developer, if a bounty gets up to a few hundred dollars, that may just be incentive enough for me to take the time to add a feature that is of low-priority to my personal store.

Just my 2 cents

The Veloz Group
Beverly Hills Chairs: The leaders in ergonomic seating
Custom Tobacco: Customized cigars for any occasion

Post by scanreg » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:31 am

i would throw in some dough for a comprehensive stock/options feature in the core

Post by jordan » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:33 am

My point exactly...

And just to add, if anyone keeps complaining about a feature that they really need but are not willing to pay up, then it shows that they are all talk and expect developers to work for free developing the perfect store for them to profit from.

Likewise, if one of the devs says he needs XXX dollars to make it worth his time to stay up extra late a few nights, then it is now on the end-users court to figure out how to rally to community to raise that money.

Personally, I would rather contribute a few hundred bucks a year to get the features I need into the core of the open-source project, then pay money on a closed-source solution or external plugins. It is an exponential return on investment since the project will then be better for the dozens of other stores I may use it for.

The Veloz Group

Post by Xsecrets » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:51 am

The problem with that is that currently only two developers can add things to the core, and only one has final say and likes to rip out even good stuff from the other one.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by jordan » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:47 am

Xsecrets wrote:The problem with that is that currently only two developers can add things to the core, and only one has final say and likes to rip out even good stuff from the other one.
Sounds like that is the real problem. It seems like most of the talk I see about OpenCart, ultimately comes back to the lead developer. Is there any reason not to adapt a more distributed model of authority? While it would mean him losing some control, it would also mean recruiting many more developers to ultimately increase the success of his project and decrease the weight he has to carry by single handling running the project as a brutal dictator. Doesn't make much sense to me...

The Veloz Group

Post by OSWorX » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:05 am

jordan wrote:Doesn't make much sense to me...
You are not alone ...

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by Xsecrets » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:08 am

jordan wrote:
Xsecrets wrote:The problem with that is that currently only two developers can add things to the core, and only one has final say and likes to rip out even good stuff from the other one.
Sounds like that is the real problem. It seems like most of the talk I see about OpenCart, ultimately comes back to the lead developer. Is there any reason not to adapt a more distributed model of authority? While it would mean him losing some control, it would also mean recruiting many more developers to ultimately increase the success of his project and decrease the weight he has to carry by single handling running the project as a brutal dictator. Doesn't make much sense to me...
Well it's pretty obvious at this point he's not going to give up any control. The only way to change things would be to fork the project, but you would have to have a strong developer or group of developers to handle that, and it's a lot of work, and if it even became successful it would take quite some time, so at the start it would be lots of work with very little reward. Basically you would be like Daniel with the only difference being that you would be willing to distribute the load if you ever got anyone interested in helping.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by jordan » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:52 am

How many strong contributors would you say there are to opencart? Are we talking a couple of patches here and there, or a group of several people consistently contributing many patches that get rejected?

The Veloz Group

Post by Xsecrets » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:28 am

jordan wrote:How many strong contributors would you say there are to opencart? Are we talking a couple of patches here and there, or a group of several people consistently contributing many patches that get rejected?
there's not that many, but how many do you think you could take with you if you forked? Not that many and that would leave you doing what Daniel is currently doing and that is an extraordinary amount of work.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by 01media » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:34 am

Hi, I knwo this is old now... I'm using OC 1.5.3.1, is thare any sollution for the options and stock controll, that shows correct avalibility in the front end ?

Post by dolrichfortich » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:47 am

Check this module.
http://dolrichfortich.com/opencart-options-pro

You can chain unlimited options, all with working stock control.

Opencart Options Pro, Reward Points For Review, DISQUS Comment Form,
Dolrich Fortich - Freelance web developer

Location - Philippines

Post by tjonnyc » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:51 pm

The problem with adding more & more options to the core is that eventually you end up with Magento. The "Swiss Army Chainsaw" approach might look impressive when you "first open the box", with oohs and aahs at the screens full of options and drop-downs, but once you try to modify any of it, may whatever gods you believe in, have mercy upon your soul...

Magento has these features. Problem is, Magento also pretty much requires either a VERY competent LAMP developer on-staff, or a VERY good outsource firm (good luck finding one that won't charge an arm & a leg) - there is absolutely NO way that a typical small-business owner, or even a "general" web developer, would be able to modify or maintain such a monster.

I personally spent the better part of 2 years dealing with Magento, and finally gave up & went to OpenCart. Modules and extensions FTW!

Post by aze_kool » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:16 pm

Hi,

In order to solve the Product Options Stock Control Problem I am creating following vqmod based solution.

1- Ability to created a new Option of type "combination". with this type one can combine other list based options.
i.e. suppose we have option-1 color (Blue, Green, White) and option-2. Size(S, L ,M), then you can create an option of type combination "color and size" . this allow you to combine color and size option.

2- in the product option tab, you choose the option "color and size" and you will be shown color + size as one option-value with stock control.

I hope i am going in the right direction. please see the attached file. I would appreciate and comments.

I am trying to setup a demo and will share the detail.

thanks

Post by aywebtech77 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:40 pm

This would be very useful, best would be to completely monitor inventory access schedules for FIFO (first in first out) price monitoring too, I began a function demand line here:

Post by aywebtech77 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:21 pm

mystifier wrote:But it's much less complicated to involve than some of the features that have been ?! Especially if it is limited to Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3 options (as in comparison to one-to-many).

well I don't know about how much less complicated it will be than other aspects that have been involved. I've seen where you tried it so you know the issues level. It might make it easier if you limited it to 2 or 3 levels, but if you are going to release something for everyone you know as well as I do that the day you release it someone will complaint that they have 4, so it's best to just do it right and make it many to many. With the options moving to worldwide options it at least makes it possible, though still complicated. I'm sure it will happen, but as you've described elsewhere with 1.5 just coming out and for whatever objective everyone else on the world actually getting the generate on all their projects most of the devs able of this degree of execute are just confused right now.

Jonathon's Highly effective Categories uses the process of a dropdown datasource being created after previous times one is selected.

I don't see what this has to do with the options at all. The are already stored with requested details in ideas. All that has to be done is a simple ajax callback to query for groups with the selected parent or guardian, and there is no type of combination details stored in regards to groups.

Post by aywebtech77 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:26 pm

Is this not already designed into OC with the option-values you can get into the inventory stage and if it needs to deduct.

stock on personal choices is designed in, but not inventory on choice mixtures, so if you have
option size
value small
value medium
value large
option color
value orange
value white
value green

you can currently only monitor inventory on little and independently on natural, so if someone purchases a little natural clothing little inventory decrements by 1 and natural inventory decrements by 1 then if someone else purchases a little white-colored clothing inventory on white-colored decrements by one and inventory on little decrements by 1. This is obviously does not jive with the actual inventory you have on side. You cannot currently monitor inventory on little natural tops unless you create it as below which individuals really don't want to do.

option size/color
value small/green
value medium/green
value large/greeen
value small/white
value medium/white
etc..
OpenCart professional mods and growth http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Xsecrets

Re: Item Options Stock Control

Postby web2works » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:59 pm
Ok I comprehend now thank you for describing.
Quality Opencart Web page Style - we don't just modify a color or two we develop a completely unique design for OpenCart designed for your company and focus on market.

Post by scanreg » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:08 pm

is this still an issue with oc 2.x.x?

can the cart natively track products by product options? (color, size, etc)

thanks

Post by graze » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:32 pm

Yup its still a problem..

Post by HAO » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:02 am

I also have the same problem, My same item products multiple colors, Quantity of different stocks.

How do I make the calculation of individual stock items?

option color
value orange 10 stock
value white 5 stock
value green 8 stock

When someone buys a stock is calculated automatically white -1

Does anyone know what I mean?

OpenCart Version: OpenCart 2.1.0.2

HAO