Post by opencarter2 » Sun May 01, 2022 2:33 am

Now since July 2021, businesses should pay VAT for each country they are selling to, if total sales within EU per year are more than 10.000 Euros.
So a customer from Germany pays and the invoice should show 19% VAT, and a customer from Hungary pays and VAT should be 27%.
Website cannot know the country of the taxation until they are checking out and enter their shipping address. But the site shows prices, and if a product should have a price of 249 euro across Europe, it would make sense that the checkout system then calcutes the VAT from this price, so that the tax amount changes but not the total price of the product. So for example in Hungarian shipping address situation, the total price would be 249, and VAT 27% would be 52.94 Euro.
And when it would get shipped to Germany, the total price would be again 249 Euro, but the VAT would be 39.76 Euro. This way all people have the same total price.

I have done geo zones and taxes settings but it doesn't seem to work this way. My prices are shown in our default TAX zone and when customers check out, the prices go down or up, which is confusing. And also seems a bit stupid, if a customer already made a decision and was shown the option to buy at 249, and then ends up paying for example 235, it is not the smartest thing for business. And on the other hand, if the price goes up with higher VAT zone it doesn't seem cool for the customer.

How can I make this work so that the total price will stay the same across the geozones but the VAT percentages will be used correctly according to geo zones and tax settings?

Post by straightlight » Sun May 01, 2022 11:00 pm

OC version.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON