Post by RodosWeb » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:13 am

Greetings friends,

I'm running a small web design agency, in Rhodes, Greece. Started alone but now we're a team of 3. We started off using Joomla some 10 years ago, but shifted to wordpress for the last have of the decade or so.
With the Covid and stuff, we have a great influx of new customers asking for e-shop development and until now we've been building them in Woocommerce mostly because of how easy it is to customize and make it what the client wants as we're using page builders like elementor and oxygen.

My question is, how does open cart compare to woo? I've used it back in my amateur days and thinking to make our agency different from the massess by offering an opencart service. I'll be asking the same question on other cart forums too. So, Is open cart better than the competition for small local businesses? If yes what features and characteristics make OpenCart better and why should one choose this instead of woocommerce, prestashop or magento for example?

My webdesign agency is Rodos Web Design in case you want to see some of our jobs. It's mostly local businesses with 500-2000 products.

Post by grgr » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:29 pm

Asked and answered many times before, but for me, in brief.....

Magento, just no. I mean, it's great and can do some great things, but you need to throw quite a lot of money at it. It also has quite a steep learning curve - I have to spoon feed some people opencart which is as simple as it gets, but the thought of having to do that with Magento , just no!

Prestashop, quite like it and in some respects better than opencart, but it is a lot more expensive than opencart, the code base is a little more difficult I think and I think the admin is not as easy to use as Opencart.

Woocommerce, don't really touch it so can't comment. Couple of times I went near it, didn't like it much, but then I really don't like wordpress either and avoid it like the plague.

Opencart, by no means perfect and could be better in a few areas, but it is more affordable than most others, admin is easy to use I think and the code is clear and easy to follow. For me, I think Opencart is the easiest to use and that is what most small businesses need - ease of use.

-
Image Image Image Image
VIEW ALL EXTENSIONS * EXTENSION SUPPORT * WEBSITE * CUSTOM REQUESTS

Location - UK

Post by JNeuhoff » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:41 am

This might help: https://litextension.com/blog/opencart-vs-woocommerce/

For ecommerce sites with 500 to 2000 products OpenCart should be just fine.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member