Post by Skyhigh » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:54 am

Simple question for Daniel or Q.

- Are extensions in the 'Extensions' area of Opencart.com (of which I've bought quite a few), vetted for any malicious code?

Most mods/extensions are quite small and can be manually checked by someone who knows PHP, but some are quite large indeed and have a fair few files.

It just struck me that someone with bad intentions could create a mod, which worked, but also accessed the model/controller layers and...for example, emailed customer information somewhere else, etc.
Last edited by i2Paq on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved

LoveMoissanite.com - Moissanite Rings - Proudly Powered by Opencart
[How To] Speed Up Page Content with Opencart - Opencart advocate since 2009

Post by Qphoria » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:01 am

It is true that you have a valid concern. But we do not have the ability to go through the thousands of mods out there and vet them all. I think this is a fairly common concern for all platforms and scripts.

Administrator

Post by Skyhigh » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:17 am

Hi Q,

I know that it will take time to go through the mods - and users should always be wary and check them through.

But I was hoping the Opencart Developers (you, Daniel, etc) get a % of the sale price for the extensions in the 'Extensions' area, which would help offset some of the effort checking through the mods.

Additionally, having mods 'approved' by OpenCart may mean that more are sold (hence more $ for the Opencart devs - that is, if they get a %).

LoveMoissanite.com - Moissanite Rings - Proudly Powered by Opencart
[How To] Speed Up Page Content with Opencart - Opencart advocate since 2009

Post by Qphoria » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:33 am

It is something we will look into.

Administrator