Post by JNeuhoff » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:58 pm

The OpenCart marketplace needs a better vetting process and quality control.

We have come across so many poorly written extensions it's not funny anymore. One recent example is the Purpletree Multi-Vendor which has promising features. But it's underlying PHP-code looks like spaghetti to me (see attached screenshot before.png), where simple proper line indentations can make such a difference (see attached screenshot after.png).

Also, OpenCart has been supporting event handlers for quite a while now, yet the vast majority of extensions still rely on OCmod or VQmod based modification systems (where an XML notification describes modifications to be applied to OpenCart PHP core files).

The worst area are the so-called web themes, hardly any of them abide by the simple OpenCart standards for themes, see this forum thread.

Attachments

before.png

spaghetti code - before.png (136.11 KiB) Viewed 3546 times

after.png

cleaned up code - after.png (128.74 KiB) Viewed 3546 times

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by IP_CAM » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:21 pm

It all starts much earlier, so better don't blame the Followers ... :laugh:
https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... n_id=32694

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by purpletreesoft » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:23 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:58 pm

We have come across so many poorly written extensions it's not funny anymore. One recent example is the Purpletree Multi-Vendor which has promising features. But it's underlying PHP-code looks like spaghetti to me (see attached screenshot before.png), where simple proper line indentations can make such a difference (see attached screenshot after.png).

Also, OpenCart has been supporting event handlers for quite a while now, yet the vast majority of extensions still rely on OCmod or VQmod based modification systems (where an XML notification describes modifications to be applied to OpenCart PHP core files).

The worst area are the so-called web themes, hardly any of them abide by the simple OpenCart standards for themes, see this forum thread.
Hi @JNeuhoff, You had raised this issue with us in the recent past in a ticket using our helpdesk. Then you posted a public comment about this, and now you have made this forum posting. Every time we gave you a positive reply, but you are not stopping and keeping on posting this everywhere. We can only assume all of your posting are in good faith, though they suggest otherwise, because our extension has not caused any serious issue like security etc for your shop.
The issue you had mentioned, about the code style, we had already acknowledged it and informed you about the future course of action. We believe this is not a deal breaker for you, and not an immediate threat to your shop's existence. We are committed to keep on solving any issues as we move forward.
Then your statements about OCmod vs Events, we hope you are aware, that not all changes can be covered using events, especially when it is about making changes in view and not in controller. So what you said is not fully correct.

Purpletree Software LLP
New features launched for Multivendor Marketplace Extension

Post by JNeuhoff » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:45 pm

@purpletreesoft :

Thank you for your reply. As we also said, your multi-vendor extension has useful features which will appeal to many users. And we are happy to send you a list of all the bugfixes we have implemented so far for your extension.

However, your code is very difficult to read, and like so many other 3rd party extensions, makes heavy use of OCmod-XML based modifications of OpenCart core files. OpenCart 3.x supports event handlers. No other popular framework that we know of uses such a strange system of XML-based modifications for framework core files. XML is a markup language that defines a set of rules for encoding documents in a format that is both human-readable and machine-readable. It is not meant to be a programming language.

IMHO future OpenCart releases should get rid of OCmod altogether, this will force 3rd part developers to clean up their messy code.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by purpletreesoft » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:37 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:45 pm
@purpletreesoft :

Thank you for your reply. As we also said, your multi-vendor extension has useful features which will appeal to many users. And we are happy to send you a list of all the bugfixes we have implemented so far for your extension.

However, your code is very difficult to read, and like so many other 3rd party extensions, makes heavy use of OCmod-XML based modifications of OpenCart core files. OpenCart 3.x supports event handlers. No other popular framework that we know of uses such a strange system of XML-based modifications for framework core files. XML is a markup language that defines a set of rules for encoding documents in a format that is both human-readable and machine-readable. It is not meant to be a programming language.

IMHO future OpenCart releases should get rid of OCmod altogether, this will force 3rd part developers to clean up their messy code.
Thanks, it will be nice if you can share the details of modifications you made, at our email id support@purpletreesoftware.com .
Regarding Ocmod, yeah we agree it is not a pretty thing, and XML is not meant to be used like this. We hope Opencart takes some step for this, and we will surely follow suit.

Purpletree Software LLP

Post by timstudio » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:16 pm

As a fulltime opencartshop owner the best advice I can give users to search for a good independent developer. I made the mistake too many times to have an extension installed or a problem fixed by the developer himself. That often resulted in a fix 'covering up' the problem but creating a bunch of new problem which are disregarded as 'contact that developer.' Then you get in an endless loop. I also had a developer install a bunch of unwanted additional crap. Security scanners, custom installers etc. Removing it killed my admin. Also there are a lot of extension that, once installed, turn out to have a update subscription and loose functionality unless you pay a 6 months fee (triple the amount of the exention initial costs.)

Most of my problems went away after I found (trial and error) a good independent developer. One man that fixes problems as they should be fixed. It took me several attempts to find one. Stick with that guy.

Post by cyclops12 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:03 pm

timstudio wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:16 pm
As a fulltime opencartshop owner the best advice I can give users to search for a good independent developer. I made the mistake too many times to have an extension installed or a problem fixed by the developer himself. That often resulted in a fix 'covering up' the problem but creating a bunch of new problem which are disregarded as 'contact that developer.' Then you get in an endless loop. I also had a developer install a bunch of unwanted additional crap. Security scanners, custom installers etc. Removing it killed my admin. Also there are a lot of extension that, once installed, turn out to have a update subscription and loose functionality unless you pay a 6 months fee (triple the amount of the exention initial costs.)

Most of my problems went away after I found (trial and error) a good independent developer. One man that fixes problems as they should be fixed. It took me several attempts to find one. Stick with that guy.
This seems to be excellent advise and should save alot of time effort and money in the long run

Expert Member

Post by purpletreesoft » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:05 pm

timstudio wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:16 pm

Excellent advice. Actually everyone takes opencart as "easy software" and thinks they can manage it on their own, without having any development knowledge. And then the extension developers etc are also hassled a lot of such customers. It is best that they hire a developer to work on something they do not know about.

Purpletree Software LLP

Post by ilclark » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:21 pm

Old thread, but probably still relevant!

What role does or should Opencart play in regards to the quality of the extensions found in the "OpenCart Extension Store"?

Obviously I'm asking as I have an issue with a purchased extension, log a support request - done, post question on extension page - done, email developer directly - done. No replies, nothing. What to do next?

Hence my above question. This impacts Opencart as a whole I believe, unfortunately.

Cheers,
Iain

OpenCart 3.0.3.2

Post by karapuz » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:19 pm

I agree that Opencart has to change its internal structure to make life easier for supporting extensions. There are weak points in ocmod and event handlers, but the last one completely breaks some php functionality. Since their introduction it is not possible to pass direct function parameters by references without wrapping them to an array. Properties of models may be unaccessible in some cases. Also, handler mechanism takes resources by processing those events. php has a built-in inheritance of classes and that should be heavily used in a modern software.

In my opinion, opencart architecture needs two major changes:

1) It should use an extra DB abstraction layer, allowing to build SQL requests from parts. It would greatly help in modifying existing OC functionality. Now, some SQL requests are quite long and it is hard to modify them. But, please God, it should not be doctrine!

2) Opencart needs to replace that elaborated event system with native class inheritance. A new php code would be build in a modification cache on module dependences declared in their declaration/manifest files or something like this.

In an ideal world, the architect of Opencart should contact vendors of 3rd party extensions and ask their opinion/recommendations on futures required to Opencart.

Post by JNeuhoff » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:57 pm

2) Opencart needs to replace that elaborated event system with native class inheritance. A new php code would be build in a modification cache on module dependences declared in their declaration/manifest files or something like this.
That how our Override Engine works: A dynamic chain of class extensions.

Guru Member

Post by ilclark » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:39 pm

This really is getting frustrating, and beyond a joke to be honest.

After my previous post about lack - of care, of attention, of quality I decided that I may as well give up on my issue with the extension I purchased and the lack of response from the developer, I bite the bullet and buy a similar extension from another seller. Guess what, a problem appears, so off I trot to report the issue... and 2 weeks later.... no response. After some searching on this new seller and checking on their other extensions, there seems a very distinct lack of response from this seller too, with a lot of people questioning if they still exist. I wish I knew this before purchasing!!!

Now I don't know the relationship between extension sellers and opencart and whether any portion of the money paid actually goes to opencart or not. If it does then I'd like to see more control over the extensions being offered and a tad more involvement in the follow up of issues, and if not then maybe that should be a source of revenue to again add control over the extensions being offered!

The selling point of 13000+ extensions doesn't really seem to be a good thing from my perspective about now....

Cheers,
Iain

OpenCart 3.0.3.2

Post by Johnathan » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:12 pm

ilclark wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:39 pm
Now I don't know the relationship between extension sellers and opencart and whether any portion of the money paid actually goes to opencart or not. If it does then I'd like to see more control over the extensions being offered and a tad more involvement in the follow up of issues, and if not then maybe that should be a source of revenue to again add control over the extensions being offered!

OpenCart takes between 25% and 50% of the sale, depending on the amount of monthly sales. You can see the breakdown here:

https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... ation_id=2

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by ilclark » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:01 am

Hi Johnathan, thanks for the info, unlike the support, help & guidance I've received from yourself on the extensions I've bought from you, it frustrates me that I have now purchased two different extensions where I feel I have been left high and dry by the sellers.

I've searched the forums and it seems that this can be a problem within opencart extension sellers and people have said to follow this up directly with opencart. Now this itself is not as smooth as I'd like as the opencart@zendesk.com email just bounced back, so I've completed the contact us form and will wait for a reply.

It shouldn't be like this, someone should be responsible and accountable, after all, money is changing hands here.

Cheers,
Iain

OpenCart 3.0.3.2

Post by Sawyer77 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:36 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:58 pm

+1
Had experience with bad extensions. Latest was so bad that i got refund.

Illustrator and Photoshop Expert - Knowledge in Html, CSS and Bootstrap, not very good at programing. Had plenty of years experience in Prestashop, but went over to Opencart :)

Location - Sweden

Post by jessicana » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:22 am

I would only use the pre-installed extensions with the theme. But even though, I doubted that the preinstalled extensions are updated when I saw the Payza extension...