Post by jeanjeanjean » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:24 am

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone else had ever run into this. I recently replaced a bloated, slow Wordpress site (built by somebody else, mind you) with a fresh Opencart installation which is running much better. My only real issue right now is that I changed a lot of the structure of the site for simplicity's sake, which left behind a lot of indexed pages that don't actually exist/hold content anymore. And by a lot, I mean a lot:

This isn't really harming anything, but I just feel like there must be a way to easily dispatch all of these dead links/redirects. Is this common? Should I have done something to mitigate against this?

Post by Ashoka Tracers » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:11 pm

Dead Links are represented by 404 error that is Page cannot be found on server. It doesn't effect anything, Google algorithms are smart enough to understand 404 errors and overtime deindex the pages automatically. Long term Solution- Let Google take care of it automatically by deindexing pages gradually. Shot term solution- Use 301 redirection.

Regards, Ashoka Tracers.

Phone: 88106 75889 - Web: https://ashokatracers.com/
Last edited by Ashoka Tracers on Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by webdesires » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:17 pm

All you need to do is make sure those dead links go to a 404 not found.

Then in your WebMaster Tools in google make sure you submit your new sitemap and request a crawl on the homepage or something. It will take google a while to update and drop all the old site, but theres not much else you can do.

Regards, WebDesires.
We are a team of developers in the UK - professional and friendly, message us or give us a call anytime and we will be happy to help.

Phone: +44 (0) 121 318 6336 - Web: webdesires.co.uk - Skype: WebDesires
OpenCart Support - OpenCart Web Development - Our OpenCart Plugins

Location - West Midlands, United Kingdom

Post by cedcommerceteam » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:07 pm

jeanjeanjean wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:24 am
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone else had ever run into this. I recently replaced a bloated, slow Wordpress site (built by somebody else, mind you) with a fresh Opencart installation which is running much better. My only real issue right now is that I changed a lot of the structure of the site for simplicity's sake, which left behind a lot of indexed pages that don't actually exist/hold content anymore. And by a lot, I mean a lot:

This isn't really harming anything, but I just feel like there must be a way to easily dispatch all of these dead links/redirects. Is this common? Should I have done something to mitigate against this?
Heyya,

Could you please share the url of your website. So that it could be easier for us to check the issues and let you now more about it!
Thanks .

Call us at : (+91) -8765210318 , Skype: live:carlmorgan.cedcommerce , Email: support@cedcommerce.com
CedCommerece : Officail Opencart Partners
CedCommerce Official : www.cedcommerce.com
Opencart Services : www.cedcommerce/opencart-services.com
Sell On various Marketplace Integration : Opencart-Extensions
Magenative Mobile App/IOS Development : magenative.com
Webinar : Power up Your holiday season marketing with the Automation tool