Post by starterneh » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:04 am

Hello everyone

I am a newbie to Opencart editing, but i'm learning my way around the code. I would just like to know from you guys which setup do you use to edit your opencart code, and seeing it live. By that I mean the platform that you use to see and edit your code dinamically. For example, i'm using Adobe dreamweaver, i've connected to my FTP on my web host, but yet im not being able to see it dinamically, the "live" code. What is your preffered setup to edit opencart?

Post by thekrotek » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:44 pm

I use EmEditor + WebDrive. Just open the required files remotely, edit, save, reload the page.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by labeshops » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:38 pm

Dreameaver and other such editors can add unneccessarily bloated code to opencart. All you really need is notepad or notepad++ which is what I use and your ftp program. If you want to see it before you make it live, make a second installation of opencart on a test server or in a different folder. Do the change there first, make sure it is how you want it, then upload the finished file to your live server.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by uksitebuilder » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:16 pm

When working with a production site, it is always best to make any changes/edits on a local copy of the site first to overcome any unforeseen errors before releasing to the masses.

To that end, a local stack such a WAMP XAMP MAMP WNMP, etc with same php version and modules/extensions as your Production server.

A text editor/IDE such as mentioned above, Notepad++, ATOM or my old favourite Sublime

Guru Member

Location - United Kindgom

Post by sdsoftware » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:49 am

Since I remember myself I was always setting up my localserver manually. Made lots of mistakes at the beginning but eventually I earned a lot. for a quick testing enviroment if you dont have the time and the patience WAMP or XAMP sounds ok.
Editor Notepad++ is good like mentioned above but right now I like and use Sublime Text 3!

Software Support And Development www.sdware.eu
Ccookie Module || Admin Category/Manufactory/Attribute Filter || Admin Customizer || Bank Tranfer Extended
Business Inquiries Here
My extensions Page Here