Post by CaptainHaddock » Tue May 03, 2016 12:40 pm

Hi Opencarters!

I'm asking your advice about hosting specification for my site.

I have one opencart installation containing 3 multistores using Journal theme. In total ~15000 products.
Each month in total have ~10,000 visitors, 80,000 page views, 350,000 hits and 7gb bandwidth

So I am wondering if my VPS has adequate resources. This is what I have:
2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 v2 @ 3.00GHz
2gb dedicated Ram

Is this enough ???

I have been with Siteground hosting for 3 years. They did tell me their Growbig shared hosting would be fine so I startted with that, but I needed to upgrade to Gogeek Shared for speed. A month ago I had to upgrade to Cloud VPS ($70/month) due to CPU utilisation exceeding peak allowed 2hr use (WATCHOUT this seems quie restrictive at Siteground)

First Page Load times have become very slow since moving to VPS. Were ~3s two months ago. Now 12-20s.
Siteground say it is a code problem. Unlikley as the only change I've made is to update Journal theme to latest version. This theme is highly rated and used by thousands so problems tend to get noticed and fixed quickly by the developer.

Thanks a lot

Opencart 1.5.5.1
VQMOD
Extensions installed:
Journal Theme
SEO Pack Pro
All Products From Subcategory in Parent Category
All Products From Subcategories in Parent Category Filters
Remove Return Links

Bug fixes applied:
Fix for Tag Filters not working (see OpenCart 1.5.5 Bug Thread)

Post by IP_CAM » Wed May 04, 2016 1:34 am

A lot of information, but the most important thing is missing, your Site URL! :-\

And without looking into your Code, it's impossible, to find out, if you have done already, what needs to be done, FIRST, to peek your Software to the Maximum, before trying to ride a lame duck type Horse on a speedier Track. If your OC-Brakes are still on, neither CPU nor RAM will make a big difference.

Ernie

Please don't send me OC Forum Personal Messages, just contact: jti@jacob.ch
---
OC 1.5.6.5 LIGHT Test Site: http://www.bigmax.ch/shop/
OC 1.5.6.5 V-PRO Test Site: http://www.jacob.ch/shop/
My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
2'600+ FREE OC Extensions on the World's largest Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by victorj » Wed May 04, 2016 4:29 am

Server specs look oke although ram might be upgraded to 4 gig.
If you have cloud vps you also have access to processor and disklogs, telling you how your server is holding on.
if processor logs are not peaking at 100% all the time, your server should be good.
Next is to have a look in server configuration, why is it acting so slow.
is php optimized, how much ram is set for dedicated php use etc.

Youre not stating wich oc version, but asuming 1.5.x if so make sure product count is turned off and removed from oc, reducing database overhead greatly.

I have about same cloudhostin as you do, only with 4 gig ram and my sites run realy fast, have to say they are highly optimized.

Koeltechnische deurrubbers eenvoudig online op maat bestellen.
Alle niet stekplichtige onderdelen zoals scharnieren, sloten, randverwarming en verlichting voor alle typen koelingen en vriezers.
https://koelcel-onderdelen.com

Expert Member

Location - Alkmaar Holland

Post by CaptainHaddock » Wed May 04, 2016 12:57 pm

Thanks very much Vitorj, please see my replies in CAPITALS
victorj wrote:Server specs look oke although ram might be upgraded to 4 gig.
If you have cloud vps you also have access to processor and disklogs, telling you how your server is holding on.
if processor logs are not peaking at 100% all the time, your server should be good. TODAY I HAVE INCREASED RAM TO 4GB AND SET CPUS TO SCALE AUTOMATICALLY FROM 2 TO 4CPU IF CPU LOAD EXCEEDS 90%. NO IMPROVEMENT IN FIRST PAGE LOAD TIME
Next is to have a look in server configuration, why is it acting so slow.
is php optimized, how much ram is set for dedicated php use etc. HOW MUCH RAM SHOULD THERE BE FOR PHP? ALSO PLEASE ADVISE HOW TO CHECK PHP IS OPTIMISED AND ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD CHECK ON SERVER

Youre not stating wich oc version, but asuming 1.5.x if so make sure product count is turned off and removed from oc, reducing database overhead greatly. THANKS. THOUGHT I TURNED IT ALL OFF WHEN A LONG TIME AGO. I AM CHECKING THAT NOW AND WILL LET YOU KNOW

I have about same cloudhostin as you do, only with 4 gig ram and my sites run realy fast, have to say they are highly optimized.
GREAT TO HEAR! HOW MANY PRODUCTS ARE ON YOUR SITE?

Opencart 1.5.5.1
VQMOD
Extensions installed:
Journal Theme
SEO Pack Pro
Remove Return Links

Bug fixes applied:

Post by CaptainHaddock » Wed May 04, 2016 1:04 pm

Thanks for your wise advice IP_CAM . Please see my replies in CAPITALS
IP_CAM wrote:A lot of information, but the most important thing is missing, your Site URL! :-\ LOL! WWW.FINERAREPRINTS.COM IS THE BIGGEST OF THE 3 MULTISTORES

And without looking into your Code, it's impossible, to find out, if you have done already, what needs to be done, FIRST, to peek your Software to the Maximum, before trying to ride a lame duck type Horse on a speedier Track. If your OC-Brakes are still on, neither CPU nor RAM will make a big difference. THANKS, VERY TRUE! HAVE INCREASED RAM TO 4GB AND FROM 2CPU TO 4CPU TODAY BUT NO IMPROVEMENT. I HAVE TRIED SEVERAL PERFORMANCE EXTENSIONS IN THE PAST BUT DID NOT HELP AS MUCH AS CACHING PROVIDED BY JOURNAL THEME. HOWEVER, I SEE THERE NOW AN EXTENSION CALLED LIGHTNING THAT YOU SAID LOOKS GOOD ( viewtopic.php? )f=190&t=155793 . I WILL TRY LIGHNING TOMORROW AND LET YOU KNOW

Ernie

Opencart 1.5.5.1
VQMOD
Extensions installed:
Journal Theme
SEO Pack Pro
Remove Return Links

Bug fixes applied:

Post by CaptainHaddock » Fri May 13, 2016 12:48 pm

I have good news about speeding my sites up.
HEADLINE: The extension called Lightning is awesome! If you have speed problems, give it a try as it is a free trial and installs in seconds.
After installing Lightning all pages on my site massively speeded up first page load. Now getting great pagespeed insight scores. Most pages load 10 times quicker once cached.
Still got some experiments to do on getting the combo of Lightning and Journal theme's caching working to the max, but so far so good.

Opencart 1.5.5.1
VQMOD
Extensions installed:
Journal Theme
SEO Pack Pro
Remove Return Links

Bug fixes applied:

Post by IP_CAM » Fri May 13, 2016 7:26 pm

Good for You ! MaxD is a well know DEV, and he created great Extensions, I still use parts of his famous v.1.5.x OpenShop Extensions in my test Shops! But there are other things to do, as well, I would therefore advise you, to read some of my postings, if you plan to really peak up an OC System.
Good Luck ;)
Ernie

Please don't send me OC Forum Personal Messages, just contact: jti@jacob.ch
---
OC 1.5.6.5 LIGHT Test Site: http://www.bigmax.ch/shop/
OC 1.5.6.5 V-PRO Test Site: http://www.jacob.ch/shop/
My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
2'600+ FREE OC Extensions on the World's largest Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland