Post by OSWorX » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:36 pm

psxgamer wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:04 am
And I'm getting quite sick and tired of all this bashing on the journal theme.
And I am sick and tired of praising that theme!
If someone wants to say about it, use this thread here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=214498

psxgamer wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:04 am
Has any one looked at this from a customer point of view?
Many developers (and I) have to deal - and fight - with that theme daily!
So, a clear Yes.
psxgamer wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:04 am
Reason I opted for journal is due to its flexibility. It's years ahead on everything else. I wanted to build a site that I can differentiate from the so many other OC websites. And that's exaclty what I can do with Journal without having to need any coding skill (which I haven't).

What the extentions are concerned. Several of the extentions I was using before, I no longer need because they are build into Journal. I know a lot of extentions are being modified to work with Journal, but even then... I have about 25 different extentions running. with everything running smoothly. If journal would be so badly coded this would never work.

As above. I'm no coder. I consider myself as a power user. And the only thing I can say about Journal are positive things.
Correct, you say it: your are a "simple" user.
What you want - and can expect - is a simple to use theme (template).
If you would be a "developer" you would run ..

psxgamer wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:04 am
Several of the extentions I was using before, I no longer need because they are build into Journal.
Ever asked yourself from where they have the code?
For sure not made by themselve ..

psxgamer wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:04 am
If I would be the owner of the OC project, seeing how popular Journal is and all the features it has, I would try to acquire Journal, integrate it in my shopping cart software and sell this as a premium version of my free open source software. With the options Journal has, you could blow the competion out of the water. And the extra cash would help me to further develop my shopping cart to even make it better.
Wrong approach!
As JNeuhoff said before, the template developer decided to create his "own system".
Based on OpenCart.
But now full with code of many other free extensions!
And full of extra and double code and scripts and database tables.

If this theme - and their developer - would be so good as they are doing, then they can create a new shopping cart system and not OpenCart.
So, why they are not doing it?

Custom Development | Individuelle Entwicklung | Support & Bugfixes

Image Image Image


User avatar
Guru Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:52 pm
Location - Austria

Post by timstudio » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:14 pm

But is the 'we no longer support Journal on the opencart forum' an official opencart statement, or is it just a statement made by some public members? The last would be kind of strange. I get what you're saying, and I get it when it's an official statement. But I don't get it when it just a claim made by random community members. In that case, just don't answer and let people who are willing to answer do so. There are thousands of journal users who also buy extensions from the marketplace, and hire developers etc. I myself spend a lot of money here. I would find it a bit odd if i was no longer welcome due to the fact that i'm using a theme 'disliked' (again, I understand the reasons why) by some members.

New member

Posts

Joined
Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:51 pm

Post by IP_CAM » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:31 pm

But they should then offer proper customer support for their software...
Well, they also know, that Journal belongs to the most stolen OC Extensions in the world.
And most only those come here, asking for Support, who don't have a legal Copy of it, or
then, they would ask Journal first, when it comes to problems. And because of that, such
People should just be ignored, and the problem would be solved, it's as easy as that ...
Ernie

Please don't send me OC Forum Personal Messages, just contact: jti@jacob.ch
---
OC 1.5.6.5 LIGHT Test Site: http://www.bigmax.ch/shop/
OC 1.5.6.5 V-PRO Test Site: http://www.openshop.li/shop/
My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
2'600+ FREE OC Extensions on the World's largest Github OC Repository Archive Site.


User avatar
Legendary Member

Posts

Joined
Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:37 am
Location - Switzerland

Post by timstudio » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:48 pm

yeah, i understand that. And pure theme related questions are normally pretty fast solved by the developer suppert team. But on the other hand, the support is, like a lot of extensions, time-based and can expire. Those who have a simple question should be able to ask. I mean, if this 'new rule' applies to journal, why not to all paid extensions and theme's? What's the point of having a public support forum if a complete group of legit users are ruled out because 'there are others out there who have illegal copies.' To be consistent, question about extensions should not be asked here, but to the developer of the extension. Got a question about hosting? Go to your host. Question about payment, go to your psp.
Or perhaps just make a seperate journal section. Those not willing to contribute just keep out of that.

New member

Posts

Joined
Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:51 pm

Post by OSWorX » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:04 pm

timstudio wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:14 pm
But is the 'we no longer support Journal on the opencart forum' an official opencart statement, or is it just a statement made by some public members?
A statement made by the most active Extension developers of OpenCart.
And also contributors, posters and helpers here.
And some of them are moderators here too (not all are displayed as mods).
Now you can decide by yourself how officially this is ..
timstudio wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:14 pm
There are thousands of journal users who also buy extensions from the marketplace, and hire developers etc. I myself spend a lot of money here. I would find it a bit odd if i was no longer welcome due to the fact that i'm using a theme 'disliked' (again, I understand the reasons why) by some members.
Everyone is welcome here.
Does no matter what you need/want or which theme/template you use.
But where are these "thousands" and helping and answering here?
I do not really see one (1) of them ..

And (!) fact is, due that "thousands" are using this template, and also "hundreds" of them are using it, but have not paid for it, especially these guys come here and want help - for free.
And they are not welcome here.

But as said before: if these guys want to post here, they can do.
For answering them, user like you are here .. or not??

Custom Development | Individuelle Entwicklung | Support & Bugfixes

Image Image Image


User avatar
Guru Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:52 pm
Location - Austria

Post by OSWorX » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:13 pm

timstudio wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:48 pm
What's the point of having a public support forum if a complete group of legit users are ruled out because 'there are others out there who have illegal copies.'
The template developer has its own support system.
Bad, you have to pay for it ..
So, why posting here questions about that template when the developer has its own support?
Because many have nothing paid for it, or the support periode is over, or .. somewhat else.

Public Forum means :: OpenCart Forum >> Forum about OpenCart and native OpenCart Extensions.
Extension bought over the OpenCart Marketplace .. and not elsewhere.

And not "Support" forum .. only "Community Forum".
Community where members should help other members.

Custom Development | Individuelle Entwicklung | Support & Bugfixes

Image Image Image


User avatar
Guru Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:52 pm
Location - Austria

Post by timstudio » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:29 pm

I find it a shame that you seem to have some anger about me asking for some answers. I do not mean any harm, and no, i do not have answers for those asking questions. I have a technical guy (also a respected member on this forum) who helps me when I need it. So i do not consider myself being one of the people you are referring to. I have bought al my extensions, and with the business i'm running i spend several thousands a year on hosting, software and support.

I'm am just asking because i'm really curious. I do share you're opinion about the problem with a lot of journal users. I totally do. Really. But i'm also interested if boycotting the theme is the way to go. But if you're saying that you, and other respected members refuse to answer or help journal users, just because they are journal users I respect that. I'm just not used to classification on a discussion forum. For me opensource means that the community helps without any obligations. I find it a bit harsh if members of the community openly promote ruling out users of a specific theme. On the other hand, i do understand why you do. But why just one theme and why not make it an official rule that only supported theme's and extension users are welcome here. Make it official. I guess nobody would argue with that.

About the paid support. I get that. I also answered that even before you made the remark in the next comment. In some cases it's just silly to buy 6 months of support if you just got a simple question.

It just makes me feel bad about the whole opencart system. I once made (little did I know) a bad decision by letting somebody delevop my site with the journal theme. Now, years later, i'm running a succesfull store with a more than average income. And I'm basicly told to go f myself because i'm not worthy of opencart.
If for example the istudio theme is what opencart is really about..well..there is a difference between a functioning and functional store that the developer missed. It might be coded perfect to standards but (personal opinion!!) my god...

So to conclude. Do not take my post personal and don't be offended by it. I just ask some questions, exactly what a discussion forum should be about.
Or to use your own words:
It is a "Community Forum", so if a user wants to post something about and others want to answer, they are free to do so.

New member

Posts

Joined
Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:51 pm

Post by OSWorX » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:57 am

timstudio wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:29 pm
I find it a shame that you seem to have some anger about me asking for some answers.
Then my apologize, was not my intention.
And anger .. of course not!
Why should I?

timstudio wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:29 pm
I have a technical guy (also a respected member on this forum) who helps me when I need it. So i do not consider myself being one of the people you are referring to.
Took the time and went through your posts.
And there are a few questions about this theme you had in the past.
So, after that long time being a user of this forum, you are the perfect "community user" to help others ..

timstudio wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:29 pm
But i'm also interested if boycotting the theme is the way to go. But if you're saying that you, and other respected members refuse to answer or help journal users, just because they are journal users I respect that. I'm just not used to classification on a discussion forum.
Because help requests for this theme multiplied by x in the last few months.
Can be user bought that theme and support is gone, or users got that theme from a "obscure" download site.
And this theme developer has his own support service, so why should one here of the "professionals" waste the time and answer?

timstudio wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:29 pm
For me opensource means that the community helps without any obligations. I find it a bit harsh if members of the community openly promote ruling out users of a specific theme. On the other hand, i do understand why you do. But why just one theme and why not make it an official rule that only supported theme's and extension users are welcome here. Make it official. I guess nobody would argue with that.
As writen above (too many requests here in a short time) and paid support from the developer.
When you speak about OpenSource, what does that mean?
OpenSource is basically something everybody should be able to read (the code).
Means also, not obfuscated, not encrypted.

OpenSource means also, services you offer around.
Also paid services.

And here we are: because some do not want to pay the support fee, come to this forum and ask here questions?
Many of them have clients, which means the get paid by themselv!
But here asking and getting answers for free?
Never ever have seen one request of one of these users here in the commercial forum section.
Where they are?

timstudio wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:29 pm
About the paid support. I get that. I also answered that even before you made the remark in the next comment. In some cases it's just silly to buy 6 months of support if you just got a simple question.
Well, that's the business.
At with every business, if your support period is over, you can buy another one (if offered), or try to find somebody you have to pay for.
Or having support included, then this time end without any issue and the next day you need the support.
Fair?

But using this "Community Forum" and coming through the "backdoor" and asking a question like a "noob" is one.
Going forward, reading further messages of that guy and viola .. it is an Agency or he has no support (because of what reason ever) anymore.
Fair?

But OpenCart offer also paid support:
#1 https://dedicated.opencart.com/
#2 viewforum.php?f=88

Funny, there I do not see many (if 1) requests - why?

timstudio wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:29 pm
It just makes me feel bad about the whole opencart system.
It is not all perfect here - we know.
We are working on it, and input - and constructive critics - are always welcome.

But - not to forget, and you say it by yourself, many people earn good money with and from OpenCart.
The Shopowners, the Developers, the Supporter, the Theme Creators.

Let's see it from this side: if all questions from and about this theme are asked and answered here, their own support system would be osbsolete - nor fair, or?

timstudio wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:29 pm
If for example the istudio theme is what opencart is really about..well..there is a difference between a functioning and functional store that the developer missed. It might be coded perfect to standards but (personal opinion!!) my god...
Okay, got it.
And yes, it is well coded - as a Template should be, because >>

Question back: a Theme / Template should be what?

Some which includes x Extensions - only to try to be the #1
Could be a reason.
But finally - and that is sure - nothing which includes x Modules, a complete Blog system.
Adding x new database tables only for 1 extension.
Adding something like a "subsystem"only to be compatible with OpenCart?

A Theme / Template should be what the name says already: a Theme/Template!

Nothing what the core change in a way that it makes it nearly impossible to add further extensions as they should through the normal and standard process.
Currently nearly every other Extension has to adopted to be compatible with that theme!
And this cannot be the final decision.

Then as I have written: if they would be so good, they could develop their own shopping card system.
Why they are not doing so?

Form an "Enduser" perspective this Theme maybe a good choice.
Has x other Extensions already included.
Learning curve how to become the desired output is not too high (know other templates where it much more complicated) while not that easy as it always sounds.

But there is another question: do you think that it is fair against other extension developers when a Theme has x Extensions already included?

And do they give some back to OpenCart or those Extension Developers they have the code from?
Never heards something ..

So, a few questions for you - and others - think about.

timstudio wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:29 pm
So to conclude. Do not take my post personal and don't be offended by it. I just ask some questions, exactly what a discussion forum should be about.
Or to use your own words:
It is a "Community Forum", so if a user wants to post something about and others want to answer, they are free to do so.
Never and for sure not personal or offended :joker:

Just a final - and last - note here: I have spent quite a time in answering this here.
This wasted time could be also used to answer real support requests and questions from people who need support.
Don't you think?

Custom Development | Individuelle Entwicklung | Support & Bugfixes

Image Image Image


User avatar
Guru Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:52 pm
Location - Austria

Post by IP_CAM » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:52 am

Now, years later, i'm running a succesfull store with a more than average income. And I'm basicly told to go f myself because i'm not worthy of opencart.
Well, if one compares your 'Value' to the OC Community with the amount of
'helpful' postings you made, during all those Years, you would probably not
really be taxed as a worthy Member of this Community. :laugh:

But you don't have to go and f yourself, because ot that, since you belong to
the cast majority of those, just frequently visiting this place, to hopefully get
some help, or then some new Code, and that possibly for free. ;)

And most don't even say thanks, after beeing served, they expected it, and that's
the biggest problem of them all. They only think about generating a more than
average income, instead of beeing grateful to those, wasting their costly time,
to frequently assist others, for FREE !
Ernie

Never and for sure not personal or offended, just figures and facts ... ;)

Please don't send me OC Forum Personal Messages, just contact: jti@jacob.ch
---
OC 1.5.6.5 LIGHT Test Site: http://www.bigmax.ch/shop/
OC 1.5.6.5 V-PRO Test Site: http://www.openshop.li/shop/
My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
2'600+ FREE OC Extensions on the World's largest Github OC Repository Archive Site.


User avatar
Legendary Member

Posts

Joined
Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:37 am
Location - Switzerland

Post by timstudio » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:57 pm

OSWorX wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:57 am

Just a final - and last - note here: I have spent quite a time in answering this here.
This wasted time could be also used to answer real support requests and questions from people who need support.
Don't you think?
But this isn't a support forum, it's a discussion forum! ;D

Anyway, i've said what I wanted to say. And I, and many others, appreciate users like you and IP_Cam who share their knowledge. That makes the forum a great place to gather knowledge and read about everyday problem we ran into with OC. My whole point wasn't actually to defend journal, but more about the reason to rule out a certain group of users. You clearly made your point as I did mine. It's ok to have different opinions and mutual respect for that.

To be honest, if I myself have to update my site in the future from OC2 and J2 to '3' i'm not sure if I stick with the Journal theme. Again it would be a steep learning curve. The only 'might be' competitor I have found so far is the ShopMe theme. If you think about it, it's really disturbing that after years and years 80% of the theme's and extensions are considered crap. Even this thread hasn't come up with more that 3 theme that are 'ok to use' since 2016. Sometimes I remember the trouble free years when I was working with SAAS. No worries about updating, keeping the VPS up and running etc. But my business boosted from the moment I left the SAAS environment and switched to OC. And that was actually because I was able to have a site build exactly as I wanted with years of experience and feedback of former clients. The guy that I hired used Journal. But he was a technician and my wife a graphic designer. That clashed. Because he was thinking technical, and she was thinking functional. In the end we (me and the misses) learned our way in Journal and took over the designing part. After finding out the developer re-used some extensions for multiple clients we abandond him and searched for others. I want to own what I use so I can get propoer updates and support. I soon enough found out that the solution is not to ask the developers of the extensions for help. In most cases they will fix the problem the easy way leaving you with 2 new problems. I actually found out that you need an independant technician who understands the whole picture, and most important, understand what you want. Sometimes that means that there is no fix and you have to look for other solutions. Most of the problems I ran into had nothing to do with Journal, but with poorly written extensions. Very important extensions from big PSP or shipping companies. One extension (dreamvention) even installed a whole bunch of unwanted additional crap with it's own installer system. It even broke my admin trying to remove that crap. From that point on I became very very carefull with giving developers access to my site.

One of the big problems as mentioned in this thread is that there is a lot of garbage for sale in the marketplace. With fake reviews, a useless rating and filter system, and a non technical background it is almost impossible for users of OC to know what to buy and what to walk away from. I think that 80% of the extensions I have bought needed coding or support afterwards (non journal related) to work as intended and not clash with other extensions. I also have bought for hunderts of dollars extensions only to find out they were useless. They promised heaven and turned out to be hell. You only find out by actually buying and trying them.

In other job related forums I use there is often a paid subscription area that separates the lurkers from the 'professional' users. Perhaps that would be an idea for this forum?

New member

Posts

Joined
Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:51 pm

Post by JNeuhoff » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:43 pm

One of the big problems as mentioned in this thread is that there is a lot of garbage for sale in the marketplace.
I fully agree with that, see this forum thread.

Override Engine * Integrated VQMod * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Rich Snippets * Google Tag Manager * Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Survey Plus


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:38 am


Post by timstudio » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:01 pm

IP_CAM wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:52 am
Now, years later, i'm running a succesfull store with a more than average income. And I'm basicly told to go f myself because i'm not worthy of opencart.
Well, if one compares your 'Value' to the OC Community with the amount of
'helpful' postings you made, during all those Years, you would probably not
really be taxed as a worthy Member of this Community. :laugh:

But you don't have to go and f yourself, because ot that, since you belong to
the cast majority of those, just frequently visiting this place, to hopefully get
some help, or then some new Code, and that possibly for free. ;)
Well, I think it's fair to say that if you're not a coder but a user, it's better not to give advice because I would only make problems bigger. And in most cases there are people responding who are far more capable than me in giving the correct answer. Next to that, I normally only visit this forum whenever I have a problem (i search for others and a possible solution) and sometimes (when I have the time) to read up and acquire general knowledge. It also isn't my goal to add value to opencart. It's a system I use. In most cases the most valueble attribution I can make are opinions. Well, there are allready enough of those, so i normally keep them to myself. And as mentioned before, I use the forum for free because it's free. I would be more than happy to pay contribution if that somehow helped. I consider myself a professional user, and am used to pay for advice, software and help.

I wasn't aware there is a quota one has to make to become a worthy member. To me it sounds a bit disrespectfull since it are users like me who use OC as it is intended. Spending a lot of money on the marketstore/developers and running it to make a business.

Regarding the Journal problem. What is the problem with making a separate Journal section. It is by far the most used theme of OC. Those who wish to contribute can, those who wish not to will not. Make it a paid section. Why not. Take it even a bit further. Make a paid section for all non-marketplace bought questions. It's not only journal. If it turnes out to be a dead section, so be it. I think that Journal has such a big part of the users that refusing them on the OC community forum is a miss for OC. There will always be those who use illegal versions, of will not pay for the developer support. But there also are a lot that have legal versions or problems partially related to Journal which their own support won't deal with. Lots of question are general and if support is expired why not use a community forum for those simple to answer questions? Will this work with..., does somebody know how to... etc. If a part of those having trouble of questions end up with running systems in the end they will spend money on the marketplace. Let the subject run its own seperate life. But hey, that's just my opinion.

I get the problem, I just don't agree with the solution. I think it's partially made out of emotion and those are in most cases not the best solutions. It's always better to turn a problem into a solution. Imagin Microsoft ruling out people from the 'office help desk' for using ComicSans, because they get sick and tired of that awful free font. Sick and tired of people asking for free advice? Get them to pay. One of the 'official reasons' for ruling out the journal users asking questions stated is 'getting sick and tired of the theme/questions asked.' Legit users of the theme aren't allowed anymore to ask a simple question because there are too many non-legit users doing the same. So what's next? Users with 1.x OC? He, we're sick and tired of you dinosaurs. Go away. It's not a solution. At least in my opinion. Give them a seperate section. Let them deal with their own. Ignore them, make them pay etc. And make sure OC profits from it.

New member

Posts

Joined
Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:51 pm

Post by psxgamer » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:42 am

@OSWorX

When I said "Has any one looked at this from a customer point of view?".

I don't think you understand what I wanted to say. I'll give an example.

The standard OC has modules to put your best seller, newest products,... on your home page. Well I sell pre owned items. Once I sell them it may take a while before I get them back in. When they come back in I'll put them back online. But they are already in my database so they won't show as a new product. I was looking for an extention which would allow me to create a new module, name it and hand pick the items I want to show in it.

There may exist extentions for this by now, but when I was looking for it years ago it didn't exist. At that time I was using a template from an other big developer. Paid them for some custom work and asked if they could build the extention I described above. They couldn't even do it. A couple of months later I stumbled on Journal that has this feature build into the template.

I wanted to give my home page a certain lay-out. Was unable to do this, until I started using Opencart. For me a no brainer, since I could build what I wanted without have to pay a fortune to some developer or so.

I started using Journal to make my website responsive and to build something I had in mind. Sales went up big times. That's why I'm so positive about it.

And that's the point I would like to make. I can certainly understand that it gives you a headache as a coder if they don't follow certain coding standards. But for somebody like me as a user it is very attractive to use Journal because I can do most of the things I can do without having to hire a coder.

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:14 am

Post by psxgamer » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:03 am

timstudio wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:57 pm

One of the big problems as mentioned in this thread is that there is a lot of garbage for sale in the marketplace. With fake reviews, a useless rating and filter system, and a non technical background it is almost impossible for users of OC to know what to buy and what to walk away from. I think that 80% of the extensions I have bought needed coding or support afterwards (non journal related) to work as intended and not clash with other extensions. I also have bought for hunderts of dollars extensions only to find out they were useless. They promised heaven and turned out to be hell. You only find out by actually buying and trying them.
And this is exactly my experience. I've bought a shitload of extentions in the course of years. It's only once you've bought and installed them that you can see what it is. I've bought extentions without sales from new developers with really superb support. I've bought extentions with +1000 sales where I ran into a problem and support was not existing.

What I don't understand is that some of the popular extensions that are no longer being supported by the developer are still available on the marketplace.

There are really some top developers on the marketplace. But others.... Not gonna name and shame (extentions is no longer available). But was using an SEO extention in the past. At first sight it seemed to do the job. But when you investiged a bit further it caused more problems than it solved. For a time it was quite popular and I think it destroyed the whole business of some people after they installed it. Should have known from the beginning. Needed support not long after installing it and one of the things this guy (what should have been an SEO expert) did was overwrite ALL my seo keywords. Glad this garbage is no longer available.

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:14 am

Post by timstudio » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:17 am

I think it is without a doubt that basic OC does not comply to modern standards on functionality needed for ecommerce. We need tons of extension for that. And as we all know, the extensions offered in the marketplace is like russian roulette. In the end you will loose. This thread started on the first page with making a list on theme's that are 'ok' to use. After 4 years the count is 3. So conclusive OC basic is to limited, the marketplace is full of crap and there seem to be second to none theme's that are approved to be ok by OC standards.

New member

Posts

Joined
Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:51 pm

Post by IP_CAM » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:00 am

So what's next? Users with 1.x OC? He, we're sick and tired of you dinosaurs.
Go away. It's not a solution. At least in my opinion. Give them a separate section.
Well, you're partly speaking out of my heart. As well as, when looking at OC from a simple
USER point of view. I am also a User only, unfortunately, because otherways, I would not
need to waste my costly time on a Forum, just to be confronted with ever the same, just
in a broad variety of forms. But I have to, because I also rely on others wisdom, in order to
frequently find some wisdom, to keep my Baby willing and able to do it's Job, in the most
secure and speedy way.

But OC is known, not to be a great place, if one is looking for Likes, not even on Facebook.
And no USERS come to those Places, to tell others, how to get rich, in the most easiest way.
It's all about Competition only, like in real Life too, and, as you said, most only come here,
looking for hopefully free Assistance and Code. And the sooner they get it, the faster they
leave, in many cases even without confirming, to got their problem fixed. So, what do you
expect, in a Club, consisting out of Members, who don't give a Damn about anyone else ?
---
Separate section: I have been asking recently, from the top on down, to get a small
place for a Dino, still favoured by a few Fans. And if I ever possibly receive a reply, I will let
you know, if I'm still alive and with OC. :laugh: :drunk:
But not even Enthusiasm does always cover up OC Reality, where it widely has been replaced
by means of Business and Competition. Especially during the past ~5 Years, and by most of
those, expecting some Cash out of it. It's also understandable, from the viewpoint of a Dev,
beeing confronted with a steady flow of 'Code-Strangers', looking for someone to help them,
building their Business, likely for free ... :crazy: :joker:
---
Engineers are seldom or never good Marketeers, they have no Vision, just Variables+Strings,
and that makes it hard, to get them to understand, what it takes, to create positive Emotions.
It therefore does make much sense, to get up-tide, just, because the Steak is not packed in a
shiny Box, as long as it's eatable, without getting sick. It makes OC-Live much easier, even for
those, just coming here, to get some help, hopefully even for free ... :D ;)

I actually came here, to learn. And I found out, what I was looking for. At least basically, and
supported by thousands of free extensions, allowing me, to create my own Code out of them.
And because of that, I come back here since, to tell others about what I found out about.
And as a very nice Side Result of that, I find myself on Googie, whereever I look. :laugh:
Even in Topics, where I don't recall, to have replied to something in some way.

And if it would not be OC, but some other free Goodie, I would probably have about 10'000
Friends on Facebook alone already. That makes one think, but sure not pessimistic, in a
surrounding like here. It also has advantages, if one plans, to get indexed in a worldwide
environment, for free. ;) Still, I only still need it, to show my grandchildren in the Philippines,
what famous old Granddaddy they have, since we never yet met in person so far ... :o

If you can't change a situation, change how you feel about it ...

Ernie

Please don't send me OC Forum Personal Messages, just contact: jti@jacob.ch
---
OC 1.5.6.5 LIGHT Test Site: http://www.bigmax.ch/shop/
OC 1.5.6.5 V-PRO Test Site: http://www.openshop.li/shop/
My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
2'600+ FREE OC Extensions on the World's largest Github OC Repository Archive Site.


User avatar
Legendary Member

Posts

Joined
Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:37 am
Location - Switzerland

Post by timstudio » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:59 pm

It's people like you that make this forum. And there are more than plenty who know that. It's like on any other forum. 80% oneday visitors, 15% only readers, 4% regular posting without really adding value and 1% giving the forum value. The 19% know who these folks are and appreciate them for sharing their knowledge (i'm one of the 19%) No forum can survive without this 1% goodfellas. So before I go further, you, osx and others ... keep up the good work. We are thankfull for guys like you.

I think you're complety right with saying that dev aren't salespersons. OC is a great example of that. I really like it. I really don't like that there is such an amount of crap out there and there seems to be no one controlling it. Most of us buying from the marketplace are users with no knowledge of what's right and what's wrong. All we have on information are the ratings and the comments. Well, those are pretty worthless. I do not need to explain why. So it's a no brainer to go and seek for solutions. Journal support once adviced iSenselabs to me. They sell extensions that are checked and supported.

Is see complaints that the journal developers (and others) make a lot of money on an OC theme and support without OC getting there share. Well, isn't that a bit OC's own fault? The OC software itself is free, and when one needs to buy stuff it's like russian roulette to do this on OC's marketplace. So they spend it elsewere in a place that can be trusted and provides support.

So I say it again. If OC want's to keep it's users close to them, offer a solution for support. Make the support sections of the forum by subscription. I will attract serious users and it can become very valuable in terms of shared information. Dump the crap on the marketplace. Get in touch with developers and offer a range of serious and functionally OC branded/licenced theme's and extensions. There is money to be made. There are thousands of users earning money with OC, who are willing to spend money on OC. Don't drive them away. Hire a couple of marketing people setting up this business model. It can't be that complicated?

I think I myself spend about 10K in the last couple of years on store related stuff. About half went to hosting etc. Most of it went to external developers. I think less than a grant was spend on the OC marketplace itself before I learned it was better spend outside the OC marketplace on sites like iSenselabs. Hell, I even bought some extensions again on the iSenselabs site after I bought them on OC's marketplace, just to assure myself of proper support.

New member

Posts

Joined
Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:51 pm

Post by OSWorX » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:44 pm

Okay before we go back to the thread subject (Themes ...), one more.

The OC Stuff is been aware of all of this problems and troubles.
And you - and all others - can be sure, that things are in a change.
No timeframe at the moment, but it is going forward.

And for support and such things - as you said already, a few trusted developers can be found here in this forum.
What is the difference to others?
Have a own website, have no GMail-address, best case have a phone number you may talk with him.
And should have already published Extensions here in the OC-Marketplace and / or his own Website.

If that is not enough - have to repeat myself again, there is a dedicated OpenCart Support everyone should use in case of troubles:
https://dedicated.opencart.com/

Custom Development | Individuelle Entwicklung | Support & Bugfixes

Image Image Image


User avatar
Guru Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:52 pm
Location - Austria

Post by Burt65 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:55 pm

timstudio wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:17 am
I think it is without a doubt that basic OC does not comply to modern standards on functionality needed for ecommerce. We need tons of extension for that. And as we all know, the extensions offered in the marketplace is like russian roulette. In the end you will loose. This thread started on the first page with making a list on theme's that are 'ok' to use. After 4 years the count is 3. So conclusive OC basic is to limited, the marketplace is full of crap and there seem to be second to none theme's that are approved to be ok by OC standards.
:laugh: :laugh:

This is the best post here, for this month. In 5 lines of text, you manage to explain and answer all the questions or perhaps I should say doubts created by this thread... Well done.. ;)
Regarding your previous question:
But is the 'we no longer support Journal on the Opencart forum' an official Opencart statement, or is it just a statement made by some public members?
I was never made aware in the past 7 years, of Journal being supported by Opencart! I'm actually glad is no longer "officially" supported... :laugh:
We can only go downhill from here..

Over 95% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair...


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:23 pm
Location - Oz

Post by paulfeakins » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:08 pm

A lot of TL;DR posts here.

Please be concise with your points guys.

For quick, professional OpenCart support please email info@antropy.co.uk


User avatar
Guru Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:01 pm
Location - Reigate, Surrey, United Kingdom
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests