Post by OpenCart Addons » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:09 pm

One issue that keeps popping up with a lot of themes is the use of PHP include() and require(). This bypasses both OCMod and VQMod which is causing a lot of headaches.

Hopefully there is some sort of marketplace vetting put in place for OpenCart v3.0 to ensure themes conform to OC standards.

Joel.

Canada's Leading Expert In OpenCart Development & Certified OpenCart Development Partner Image

Location - Canada

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:02 am

I thought I'd add to this because more developers seem to be going the route of the Journal theme which is a disaster for anyone with an existing shop.
Why do developers feel the need to create their own set of bestseller, featured, product pages, etc that are all new to Opencart?
Having asked a developer if they over write Opencart files, they said no which was true but they have their own custom duplicate pages for everythng which is annoying (new product page, new menu pages, new modules that duplicate the core, etc).
This is another one I suggest staying away from:
https://themeforest.net/item/destino-ad ... e/19875085

https://www.evolvewebhost.com
$10.49 .com Registration and $9.99 .com Transfers in now
Guaranteed top level opencart performance and support. Risk free 30 day money back guarantee & free transfers.

Location - Denver, Colorado, USA

Post by artcore » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:38 am

I agree, if your goal is to create a theme for general use, you shouldn't touch any tpl and just css it as much as you can to keep compatibility with extensions.
Last edited by artcore on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Attn: I no longer provide OpenCart extensions, nor future support - this includes forum posts.
Reason: OpenCart version 3+ ;D

Thanks!

Location - The Netherlands

Post by IP_CAM » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:48 am

Hopefully there is some sort of marketplace vetting put in place for OpenCart v3.0 to ensure themes conform to OC standards.

This may be right, but it could backfire badly for Many as well, by so moving away from
the former OC OpenSource Stragegy, and probably leaving many Freetime-Dev's out
in the rain, as a logical consequence of it.

In addition, it would require additional Manpower, and so raising cost, in an environment,
already full of Construction-Areas, waiting to be 'handled' by Pro's, in order to meet the
requirements, as expected from a professional looking and working site..

It will be interesting to see, how this all turns out, and how OC, Extensions, and Themes, will be
offered in the future. To me, it was an obvious Fact, that the Concept, as it existed before,
already found it's Limits. Too much has been done 'outside' of OC already, to keep the 'System'
alive and well, still over an extended period of time. OC needs to get back in Control again,
it just makes no sense, to let others enjoy good sales, without getting anything out of it, exept
for frequently beeing under critic, because of mostly unknown extension-related problems.
And this, combined with more and more Code-resistent Users, likely expecting OC to be
installed and handled like a Smartphone APP. :crazy:
Ernie

I'm no longer active at the Forum, to reach me, contact: jti@jacob.ch
My free Opencart LIGHT Code is available on demand, and can be
seen in Action here: http://www.opencart.li/dark/ - http://www.opencart.li/bright/
900+ FREE OC Extension-Repositories - from OC v.1.5.x up, on the
world's largest OC-related Github Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by paulfeakins » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:05 am

Johnathan wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:18 am
Thanks for this -- I just told someone the other day that I had no recommendations for good OpenCart themes, because I haven't ever encountered one I thought was well-coded to conform to OpenCart template standards.
We get this problem again and again - we have a potential client ask us if we can build them a shop based on Journal - we suggest that they don't use Journal ... the obvious next question: "What themes do you recommend then?" At which point we get stuck and have to agree that it is VERY hard to find well-coded OpenCart themes - even ones with good ratings and comments on Theme Forest can turn out to be shocking as we have found!

JNeuhoff wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:47 pm
I have yet to see an Opencart-compliant web theme. What I don't understand is why theme makers can't make proper use of CSS only, along with supporting images. An ideal web theme should not have to use its own re-structured template files which are bound to break other 3rd-party extensions using VQMod/OCmod/Override Engine.
The wait is finally over!

We are developing a range of CSS ONLY OpenCart themes starting with "iStore" which is now live in the marketplace!
https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... n_id=36706

Feedback appreciated!

If @Qphoria, @JNeuhoff and @Johnathan agree it's well-coded and only modifies CSS (which it does) then perhaps they could add it to the list of safe themes at the top of the page? If any CSS issues are found we will fix of course!

For quick, professional OpenCart support please email info@antropy.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - Reigate, Surrey, United Kingdom

Post by JNeuhoff » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:07 pm

@paulfeakins: Thanks for publishing your themes, looks good. I have updated my first post on this thread.

MHC Web Design
Override Engine * Integrated VQMod * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * TrustPilot Reviews * Google Rich Snippets * Google Tag Manager * Export/Import Tool * Template Switcher PHP/Twig

Expert Member

Post by Johnathan » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:42 pm

Thanks for making this --- I'll keep it in mind when users ask for theme recommendations in the future. It's been sorely needed!

Image Image Image Image

Global Moderator