Post by Sal316 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:35 am

Why is this allowed? We are paying money for these extensions, people should be able to read every comment, good or bad. Allowing the extension authors to delete comments at will allows them to hide the fact they provide poor service and a substandard product. I wish I could do this with my customers...

This is my first project with opencart and probably will be my last as well.

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:32 am

Post by SXGuy » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:31 pm

Seing as this is your first post. I would make a suggestion that, you also post a question asking for help. rather than get upset a developer has deleted your post in the extension store.

I also wouldn't let that 1 thing make you decide to never use Opencart again.

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:07 am

Post by dfumagalli » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:32 pm

Sal316 wrote:Why is this allowed? We are paying money for these extensions, people should be able to read every comment, good or bad. Allowing the extension authors to delete comments at will allows them to hide the fact they provide poor service and a substandard product. I wish I could do this with my customers...

This is my first project with opencart and probably will be my last as well.
They can delete comments because there can happen competitors "bad mouthing campaigns", trolls, rude flames and so on.

Of course they can abuse of this power and in that case nobody forbids you to post your complaints about their mods on social media (which hurts those authors much more than a comment which is never-seen-by-9999999.99% of Earth population) or you can post on this forum. There's a section for plug ins.

Also, your leaving OpenCart is a legitimate personal choice but it sounds odd. It's like someone get insulted while walking on the road and he announces he's going to never walk on that road again.

Heavy OpenCart Customizations. Current project in progress: fleurworld.com


Active Member

Posts

Joined
Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:34 am

Post by Johnathan » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:08 pm

dfumagalli wrote:They can delete comments because there can happen competitors "bad mouthing campaigns", trolls, rude flames and so on.
This is precisely the reason. Without a developer having the ability to delete their own comments, less-reputable developers could easily trash another's extension by posting numerous bad comments for their extensions. Comments would then need to be moderated by someone, and giving the thousands of extensions available, that's just not feasible.

Comment deletion is also used for other things. I clean up my comments where people posted questions that are no longer relevant, or where I'm sure I answered their question. It makes it easier than searching through 10+ pages of comments for something I wanted posted for everyone (such as a particular edit to change functionality).

That being said, I understand it's frustrating if you have a valid issue with an extension or developer, where they've just deleted their comment instead of sorting out the issue. That's the unfortunate reality of allowing anyone to post extensions in the store -- you get some bad seeds who offer terrible support. In that case, you should be able to get a refund on the purchase if you contact the OpenCart team, and like dfumagalli said, you can then post in the forums if you've had a particularly bad experience with a developer.

Try not to let a single experience sour you on the entire OpenCart community. Some of us have higher standards of quality than you've experienced. :)

Image
Image Image Image Image


User avatar
Global Moderator

Posts

Joined
Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:08 am


Post by MarketInSG » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:34 pm

The delete button MUST stay. We use that to clean up spams, answered questions, and issues / chit-chat on the comments area. Imagine a customer must scroll through hundreds of chit-chat messages before they can make up their mind to purchase.


User avatar
Guru Member

Posts

Joined
Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:53 am
Location - Singapore

Post by OSWorX » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:29 pm

The delete button should stay = fact.

Fact is also that there are many 'trolls' out there with useless posts and nonsens.
Fact is also that unserious 'developers' are posting only negative because another one has made a better job.
But unfortunately also fact is, that many 'developers (or so like to be called) are using this button do deny unwanted messages - even if the comment is true.
In such case I would recommend every poster to publish his critic (and only then !) somewhere else where this developer cannot delete that message.

Forum Rules [en]: viewtopic.php?f=176&t=200480
Forumregeln [de]: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=114208
Commercial Request: viewforum.php?f=88

Image Image Image


User avatar
Guru Member
Online

Posts

Joined
Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:52 pm
Location - Austria

Post by Qphoria » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:29 am

Johnathan wrote: Comment deletion is also used for other things. I clean up my comments where people posted questions that are no longer relevant, or where I'm sure I answered their question. It makes it easier than searching through 10+ pages of comments for something I wanted posted for everyone (such as a particular edit to change functionality).
Bingo.

Image
Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones
Image


User avatar
Administrator

Posts

Joined
Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:02 am
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests