Post by jemfashion » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:32 pm

Hey everyone
I am totally new to Opencart but having done some research it seems to be popular. I have a few questions I am hoping the community can help me with

What are the real benefits of Opencart over other similar cart scripts?
Any particular pro's/con's I should be aware of?

Where can I get a professional template for Opencart?

What type of hosting will I need?

Really appreciate any tips, tricks and advice as this will be for a new business website so I can keen to make sure it is right

Post by JAY6390 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:34 am

Hi Jem

Welcome to the forums. The main benefits of OpenCart are that it's lightweight (in terms of coding) so it's fast, has a good community and developer following so there's lots of help and additional extensions to allow you to change your cart as much as you want pretty much

For professional themes, none beat the ones at themeforest visually, though be aware that the more fancy the theme, the more likely you'll have issues with third party extensions

Hosting is really tricky, though the best I've found and recommend is WX Hosting (see signature link) due to its performance

Kind regards
Jay

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by oc_1 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:08 am

Hi jemfashion
Here my 5 cents.
I tested abantecart and prestashop for a couple of months. They both look
very sexy on the outside, lots of features to make it all shine.
But, and here comes the but:
Both are slow, and not easy accessible for client and shopholder.
2 things are very important these days for a webshop.
It has to be fast, easy to handle by the shopholder and easy to access/navigate
by a visitor/client. This is exactly what is under the hood of OpenCart.
Another important point is the inner architecture of OpenCart.
If you know something about html, css, php and tpl files you can maintain
your OpenCart Shop your self. Or else a coder can do it in a fraction of time
compared to those other bloated framework webshops.
All this I am telling you from my own experience,
consider your self lucky you found OpenCart.
L.

Post by jemfashion » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:16 am

Thank you JAY6390 for the advice and oc_1 for your 5 cents worth ;)
Really appreciate both your feedback and replis to my questions which will help get me started

I've taken a look at themeforest and they have just what I am looking for and as I am no web designer it seems like the perfect solution.

After a friends recommendation, I bought hosting with Hostvale Internet there prices are very cheap and I hope it will serve me well until my shop is doing well then I can upgrade from their basic plan. Any ideas on what is best for hosting a opencart website? will I need a VPS or Dedicated server or will I be ok on cloud hosting?

Early days but I am getting very exited about this project :)

P.s. forgot to ask, anyone got an info I should know about Hostvale?

Post by JAY6390 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:28 am

Generally I'd say avoid very cheap hosting. That makes it a good target for hackers, as they can buy hosting for next to nothing on the same server, and with it being shared possibly exploit the server and access your data. Personally I wouldn't use anything short of a VPS. You shouldn't need a dedicated server unless you're getting 1000+ visitors a day at the minimum

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by Alex - A2Hosting » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:40 am

jemfashion wrote:After a friends recommendation, I bought hosting with Hostvale Internet there prices are very cheap and I hope it will serve me well until my shop is doing well then I can upgrade from their basic plan. Any ideas on what is best for hosting a opencart website? will I need a VPS or Dedicated server or will I be ok on cloud hosting?

Early days but I am getting very exited about this project :)

P.s. forgot to ask, anyone got an info I should know about Hostvale?
What kind of traffic is your website getting? If it is minimal, you should be fine with a shared package which generally ranges from $4+. Which location do you prefer and what is your budget?

Arvixe is a recommended hosting provider for OpenCart and we're the only hosting company with a dedicated community liaison so feel free to check us out and PM or email me if you have any questions. We offer locations in the US and EU.

Alex - alex@a2hosting.com

Post by jemfashion » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:55 am

Hi Jay
Thanks again for the advice, I will upgrade to a VPS once I know this project is working. My friend also uses Hostvale Internet and says they have no problems with the website like being offline or other issues. The plan I picked is entry level which I'll use to build my site and then upgrade, see how things go

Post by jemfashion » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:55 am

Hi Alex
Thanks I will keep you in mind when I need a VPS :)

Post by Alex - A2Hosting » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:14 am

jemfashion wrote:Hi Alex
Thanks I will keep you in mind when I need a VPS :)
I've taken a little look at Hostvale and it appears they are a reseller of Heart Internet. Whilst this is normally fine, Heart Internet uses a custom control panel which is not available for you to license. Basically, setting up a website on this custom control panel would need to be manually migrated out later on so bare that in mind.

Most providers would use cPanel control panel instead of a custom one which makes it very easy to move from one hosting provider to another or even from a shared package to a VPS (It is just a matter of generating a backup and having your provider restore it) but with the control panel Heart Internet provides, that won't be the case.

Just a heads up should you build your website at that host.

Alex - alex@a2hosting.com