Post by jmanko » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:32 am

I just had an exchange with an OpenCart developer on Github for an enhancement I submitted. Not only was it rejected without proper discussion on it's validity, but I was insulted.

https://github.com/opencart/opencart/issues/1062
danielkerr:
i think you shouldn't bother posting here again!

the problems you have describe are just how you think something should work!

they are not bugs at all. just functionality you want adding!

so instead of paying for an extension or hiring a developer to code your specific needs you thought it was acceptable to post it as a bug report and use works like "need serious overhaul" even though you have no idea in coding terms what serious overhaul means! coding select products to have free shipping would only take a few lines of code without having to overhaul the whole shipping system!

you just want to over emphasise the importance and hope i will run around after you to get these features implemented you selfish idiot!!!

Do any requests for enhancements ever get adopted? I'm new to the OpenCart community, and I want to know if such reactions are common.
Last edited by jmanko on Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by jmanko » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:57 am

Here is another example of an unprofessional response:

https://github.com/opencart/opencart/issues/1061
danielkerr:
go away!
Is danielkerr the creator/owner of OpenCart? Why the negative attitude?
Last edited by jmanko on Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by jmanko » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:02 am

And another:

https://github.com/opencart/opencart/issues/1054
danielkerr:
completely unrequired and just wasting my time for the sake of it!

it does not mater is the order id is empty as long as the session order id exists it can be deleted!
Closed
pjneese:
It results in a notice of an undefined variable, because you aren't checking for a variable you are using on a public function and are assuming is set.

I'm not wasting your time to waste you time. I'm trying to improve a product. Your arrogance to assume I spent my time to notify you of this with the code write up just to annoy you and waste your time is very off putting.

I've implemented the code fix myself and tried to give back. It is a quick fix.

If you don't feel this is a bug worthy of fixing that is fine. I'm trying to help.

Post by jmanko » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:09 am

And another. I think you get the point.

https://github.com/opencart/opencart/issues/1041
faaliyet:
jQuery 2.x has the same API as jQuery 1.x, but does not support Internet Explorer 6, 7, or 8........
danielkerr:
don;t care!

Post by jmanko » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:22 am

Look at this thread.

http://www.techchattr.com/never-use-opencart

How is OpenCart management structured? I think they should kick out Kerr or the developers should fork the project and move on. Daniel Kerr is the most unprofessional and foul loud-mouth person in the FOSS community I've come across. Why do people put up with this crap from him, especially the other devs?

Unfortunately, I've invested too much time in setting up my store using OpenCart to change just now. But in the future, if the OpenCart culture doesn't change, I'll fork a damn project myself and find like-minded developers to contribute. Daniel, you're on notice. No real leader acts the way you do. It's appalling. Clean up your act up, or OpenCart will lose all credibility.

Post by poenanie » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:31 pm

That IS quite appalling, I had no idea really.

What worries me is the fact that I read more and more negative comments on OpenCart and seeing how short tempered Daniel seems to be (with all due respect to Daniel, I'm currently running a webshop thanks to the guy) I'm not sure I feel confident investing a lot of time in OC, for all I know he might get fed up with the negative feedback and just quit the project.

Then again, are there any noteworthy (free) alternatives?

I see a lot of complaints, yet OC still seems to have the reputation of being the easiest ecommerce software to develop for and adjust with possibly the lightest footprint to begin with (in spite of the bad coding and wrong database useage mentioned in your aforementioned article jmanko)?!

Post by MarketInSG » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:08 pm

The way he coded OpenCart is pretty clean, except for that bit of repetitive. So there's nothing much to worry about. Qphoria made a pretty good explanation on the things too, you should have a read on his comments.

Also, should OpenCart stop being maintained (I doubt so), the source codes are still yours, and you are not affected.

They are many free alternatives out there, but not one with loads of free and paid extensions easily available. OpenCart would be a cost effective way to get started quickly.

Guru Member

Location - Singapore

Post by jmanko » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:35 pm

MarketInSG wrote:The way he coded OpenCart is pretty clean, except for that bit of repetitive. So there's nothing much to worry about. Qphoria made a pretty good explanation on the things too, you should have a read on his comments.

Also, should OpenCart stop being maintained (I doubt so), the source codes are still yours, and you are not affected.

They are many free alternatives out there, but not one with loads of free and paid extensions easily available. OpenCart would be a cost effective way to get started quickly.
I don't care how things are coded. That's not the point. The point is how Kerr reacts and treats people, especially those people who are trying to make his product better. It's disgusting and vile. If it continues, OpenCart won't last long because people will get tired of his attitude. I'm already at that point. Moving forward, I will not be recommended OpenCart to anyone, unless the culture changes.
Last edited by jmanko on Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by ogun » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:53 am

I've been following this project since 0.something or other and it's still going strong - and, if anything, Daniel has mellowed over the years :)

...As it stands now, the shipping module options are very limited and clumsy.
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 38#p457296
...What kind of joke is that? If not, then why would OpenCart include such a poorly implemented feature in their software?
BTW - you'll get a better response (from anyone, not just Daniel) if you ask a question/submit a bug without being a dick about it.

Post by jmanko » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:49 am

ogun wrote:I've been following this project since 0.something or other and it's still going strong - and, if anything, Daniel has mellowed over the years :)

...As it stands now, the shipping module options are very limited and clumsy.
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 38#p457296
...What kind of joke is that? If not, then why would OpenCart include such a poorly implemented feature in their software?
BTW - you'll get a better response (from anyone, not just Daniel) if you ask a question/submit a bug without being a dick about it.
The facts stand that it's a very poorly implemented feature, either by design or by afterthought. I can, and will, call it out for what it is. There is being honest for the sake of progress (which is what I did), and then there is rude (which is what Kerr does). The implementation feels like a cruel joke, because it is not practical outside a predefined use-case. I wasn't calling Kerr a joke. To the contrary, he is a very industrious person. Just not a very nice industrious person.

Anyway, how many enhancements are accepted? Many? Or is it a complete top-down approach to this open source product?

Post by MarketInSG » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:52 pm

there are quite a number of enhancements out in the extension store. For your request of per product shipping, have a look at one in the extension store. I know Jonathan made quite a lot of shipping enhancements, and that covers almost everything you can think of.

Guru Member

Location - Singapore

Post by labeshops » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:49 pm

Anyway, how many enhancements are accepted? Many? Or is it a complete top-down approach to this open source product?
What you call enhancements others (myself included) would consider unnecessary.

Opencart (like most software) includes the most commonly needed features out of the box and you can have a store up and running within an hour with no additional add ons needed (I did. I had all 30 of my stores online within 2 weeks - impossible with any other software). Each upgrade adds more new features and enhancements. It's one of the few (and I think still the only free one) to offer multi-stores. If you need something specific to your store, product type, or working methods, extensions exist to let you tailor it to fit your specific needs. Or you can modify the code yourself or hire a programmer to do so.

Yes, okay, we all know Daniel can be snippy at times - but the fact is no one is forcing you to use opencart and there are other options out there - though few as actively under development and free with as many features Opencart has out of the box. For someone calling Daniel out on his attitude, yours is certainly less than stellar.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by MarketInSG » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:30 pm

Another point to note, we don't want a bloated cart, full of 'features' only some look for. There are many great examples of bloated cart softwares out there, and Opencart is doing pretty well by having extensions to separate out those softwares.

Guru Member

Location - Singapore

Post by jty » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:23 am

ogun wrote:I've been following this project since 0.something or other and it's still going strong - and, if anything, Daniel has mellowed over the years
Yer, me too. I've been here since v0.78 and I'm staying. And Daniel has mellowed, it's true. Stress levels affect our tolerance levels.
jmanko wrote:I don't care how things are coded. That's not the point.
That's where your problem is. Opencart is about "code".
I come here for the code. I go to Prestashop to learn French but not for code. And I go to Facebook for social niceties (but not code)

Focus on the code and the glass will be half full. Walk a mile in Daniel's shoes and you will be more understanding. Kerr is a nice guy. He saved me from resorting to welfare by giving me a means to earn an income. I am grateful for Daniels generosity."

jty

Post by jmanko » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:03 am

You know, I've just realized why so many parts of OpenCart are crippled:
Register for a seller account

You can sell your work through opencart's extension section. All you have to do is fill out the form below and submit it.

How it works
2. Every time you theme / extension is sold opencart will receive 30% commision.

Why do something right the first time when you can charge people for the correct implementation? Nice scheme. Providing crippled implementations under the guise of Open Source, just to take advantage of people's willingness to support an "open source" project. Applause, Kerr. You've duped them all. Fully explains your vehement opposition to those who want to improve your "open source."

hhhhmmmm......

I think I'll support another project. Goodbye.

Post by labeshops » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:06 am

There is nothing crippled about it. I run 32 stores with the built in shipping by weight module that came with opencart. Just because it doesn't do something *you* feel is vital, is not crippled.

But have fun annoying whatever project you choose to rip apart next.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA