Post by redam » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:59 pm

I would like to use Opencart without the shopping component. that is, I would like to display limited no. of products and market my products and company but not have any online shopping ability.

Can this be done and how?

I want my users to view my company details and product offering and submit a query for further follow up, therefore no cart to cart and shipping capability is needed. Can I switch these off?

Post by Artlife » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:44 am

redam wrote:I would like to use Opencart without the shopping component. that is, I would like to display limited no. of products and market my products and company but not have any online shopping ability.

I want my users to view my company details and product offering and submit a query for further follow up, therefore no cart to cart and shipping capability is needed. Can I switch these off?
I would think you could use the contact form for submitting queries. so much of the shop can be modified I would think you could turn it into anything you want. Having the cart not show up I don't know how you could hide that but I'm not the person to help with that lol. you can turn off the shipping yes, I have it off in mine.

Post by Artlife » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:48 am

redam wrote:I would like to use Opencart without the shopping component. that is, I would like to display limited no. of products and market my products and company but not have any online shopping ability.

I was just thinking, I got rid of the html code for the discount coupon that shows up under the cart. you could probably delete the code for the cart as well that way. I'm not an expert on this but you could probably remove the text from the cart button and remove the box.
However, if for instance you wanted people to inquire about particular items, or request for quote, you could use the cart for that purpose, since it would send you customer details plus the product they were interested in.

Post by lotus » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:07 pm

Redam,

Did you work out a way of doing this?

Can this be done like a catalog where you only view the products, and I gues a user can login to to get price if they want and if you wish to provide that.

anyone done this or using as a catalogue?

Post by jty » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:57 pm

lotus wrote:Can this be done like a catalog where you only view the products,
anyone done this or using as a catalogue?
Yes, just remove all the buy buttons from the template and they can't buy anything cos there is no button to buy :joker:
You can also remove the cart module - the box on the top right - by disabling the cart module in admin > extensions
and I gues a user can login to to get price if they want and if you wish to provide that.
There is no need to login to see the prices, you can display the prices (and no buy button) and then put a link to the contact page for their enquiry.
If you wish to not show the price, then remove that from the template as well.
It's simply a matter of going through the template files and deleting all the buy buttons and the prices.

If you want to hide the prices until they login, then that is not standard oc but there may be a mod here somewhere for it. I'm not sure, I'm new here though I have done what you're after on a very old oc version

jty

Post by lotus » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:20 pm

jty,

Great stuff, sounds like what I exactly want to do on one my sites, thanks.

could you send me a link to your site so I can see your end result. You PM me if you liek.

Post by jty » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:34 am

Hello Lotus,
I don't have an Open Cart 1.4x site like this. I did it for version 0.7.9 which is different.
But all you have to do is look at an install of oc 1.4x and imagine you can't see any buy buttons, no login tab, no checkout tab. That's all
Then you go about removing those links/tabs/buttons from the template files so we no longer have to use our imagination to make them disappear.
catalog\view\theme\default\template\product\category.tpl
catalog\view\theme\default\template\product\product.tpl
There are also module files and maybe header files.
Start with the category.tpl and product.tpl files - comment out/delete the buy buttons
then have a look at what it now looks like. If you see another one, find the file and delete/comment out that code in the .tpl
You will also need to remove the tabs - login, checkout, Account, that kind of stuff.

If this is beyond your skill level, consider hiring a commercial developer. Paying someone to do it is cheaper than spending all that time learning.

BTW - I saw somewhere that oc can handle login for prices. I don't know where i saw it and I don't know how to use it but it's here somewhere. The idea is that prices are not shown until someone logs in. It might even be in the core (not a mod) but like I say, I don't require it so I didn't look deeper into the feature.

jty