Post by Cue4cheap » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:45 pm

I just had 5 days of a bunch of credit card orders that use everything correctly matching the credit card i.e. Name, address, state, zip and phone number.
In "normal" times this says it is safe to ship. We do not have the time to call ever customer to verify orders.

I unfortunately filled one of them because everything matched and we were able to verify the phone number was registered to the name and the name was listed online at the address.
Partially I'm thankful the person who received the package refused it but it still cost us a lot to ship it. So the product is returning but the shipping and labor is lost.

Why are people creating these orders? Hoping they can intercept the package??

Mike

cue4cheap not cheap quality

Expert Member

Post by JNeuhoff » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:34 am

We had the same issue, with customers using stolen credit cards, hence we wrote up a small IP blacklist extension which will alert the shop owner for future orders coming from the same IP-address used by the buyer who originally used a stolen credit card.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by Cue4cheap » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:05 am

JNeuhoff wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:34 am
We had the same issue, with customers using stolen credit cards, hence we wrote up a small IP blacklist extension which will alert the shop owner for future orders coming from the same IP-address used by the buyer who originally used a stolen credit card.
Did everything match with the credit card, including the shipping address?
If so the blocking IP seems like a decent step but at that point aren't you out a product once already? For me, if I filled all 12 orders I would be out around $3k. For my margins that is a killer to my business. Therefore after the fact blocking seems to be a little "after the horse has left the barn" type of thing
This whole thing is strange because normally for a stolen card they request it gets shipped to a secondary address. In the 2 that we ended up shipping they were shipped to the billing address and the people who live there owned the cards but swore they never ordered anything from us.
We were lucky in only filling two and are only out $200 in shipping but that still is quite a hit.
Mike

Expert Member

Post by HostDash » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:42 am

Trying to intercept the package is the only thing I can think of. For our non-OC platform, we run every transaction through Maxmind which runs many checks to determine how risky an order is. Off the top of my head one of those checks is distance from the IP location to the shipping/billing address. The cost per transaction check is probably less than a phone call so it might be worth looking into.

If you want to try it OC does integrate with Maxmind: https://docs.opencart.com/en-gb/extension/fraud/

As for the other system mentioned in the above link (Fraudlabs Pro), we've tried it, it isn't anywhere near the level of Maxmind.

HostDash | Blazing Fast OpenCart Hosting | High-Performance eCommerce Hosting

Post by Cue4cheap » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:04 am

HostDash wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:42 am
Trying to intercept the package is the only thing I can think of. For our non-OC platform, we run every transaction through Maxmind which runs many checks to determine how risky an order is. Off the top of my head one of those checks is distance from the IP location to the shipping/billing address. The cost per transaction check is probably less than a phone call so it might be worth looking into.

If you want to try it OC does integrate with Maxmind: https://docs.opencart.com/en-gb/extension/fraud/

As for the other system mentioned in the above link (Fraudlabs Pro), we've tried it, it isn't anywhere near the level of Maxmind.
It is the oddest thing we have experienced. It is as though we pissed off a group of people. The Zip code and the IP addresses used are all close. And it isn't just in one state. They ranged from New York, Florida, Arizona, Montana, etc.
Also ALL the same product.
The most odd thing we've ran into. Thankfully we only got taken so far for $240.
Mike

Expert Member

Post by nickpapoutsis » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:36 am

Blocking IPs is literally useless, no self-respecting criminal with access to stolen cards is using the same IP for that long.
Checking IPs is only useful if you combine it with other data, like MaxMind does.

As for the orders shipping to the real addresses, it's possible they are just testing the cards because if they chose to ship to a different address and the card gets declined they won't be sure the reason is the address or the card info.

Plus, it may help trick the bank into whitelisting the IP so the next order they place can be sent to a different address.

Post by Cue4cheap » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:12 pm

nickpapoutsis wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:36 am
Blocking IPs is literally useless, no self-respecting criminal with access to stolen cards is using the same IP for that long.
Checking IPs is only useful if you combine it with other data, like MaxMind does.

As for the orders shipping to the real addresses, it's possible they are just testing the cards because if they chose to ship to a different address and the card gets declined they won't be sure the reason is the address or the card info.

Plus, it may help trick the bank into whitelisting the IP so the next order they place can be sent to a different address.
Sure on the IP address piece. That is why we check to make sure it is close to the address.
I could also see them testing the card for validity but they chose a product and shipping that would put at least $430 on the card. I would think that would be risking the available balance. We sell a lot cheaper stuff than that.
Mike

Expert Member