Post by OpenJunk » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:50 am

I started a job about a year ago where I manage 4 company websites on an OpenCart CMS and have been FORCED to use this platform. Still don't understand why/how this terrible thing is in use and why it is built the way it is.

Who is the target user base? The only point of a CMS is to build and manage websites with little to no coding/programming skills. OpenCart does not achieve this! Not even close! The more I work with OpenCart the more I see just how terrible it is!

WHY wouldn't setting a price EQUALS TO be a core part of OpenCart!? I need an extension for that?! Why are the themes so glitchy? Why do I need to edit PHP just to get the most basic thing to work? What is this ridiculous WYSIWYG text editor that formats your HTML into a big ugly unreadable block? Any sort of styling all needs to be done with custom CSS?!

And the "page building" feature/layouts? How many different sections of OpenCart do I need to navigate to just to build 1 page or create 1 image slider?

That's all I can think of today...I need to go edit some PHP now so my "Featured" module actually displays the title THAT I ENTERED WHEN I CREATED IT!

Post by straightlight » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:26 pm

Goes to feedback. Lack of research.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by OpenJunk » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:14 am

What is the deal with extensions?! Ocmod, Vqmod, blah blah blah. Install in like 5 different ways and rage the whole time. You know how you install an extension (plugin) in Wordpress? LIKE 3 CLICKS AND YOU'RE DONE!!

OpenCart wants you to give up a couple hours of your day just to find some hackey "extension" that some kid programmed just so you can change the color of some text. And if you don't want to do that via extension? You just end up coding yourself...the VERY THING a content management system is supposed to be a workaround for!

Lets all just move on to Wordpress/Woocommerce. Built with the same languages as OpenCart, you'll all have job security don't worry :)

Let this thing die already!!

Post by Cue4cheap » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:22 am

OpenJunk wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:14 am

OpenCart wants you to give up a couple hours of your day just to find some hackey "extension" that some kid programmed just so you can change the color of some text. And if you don't want to do that via extension? You just end up coding yourself...the VERY THING a content management system is supposed to be a workaround for!
I guess you don't have a clue so no need to rant, just convert the stores then go away.

cue4cheap not cheap quality

Expert Member

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:48 am

Not even sure what to say here..... Opencart serves a different purpose than Wordpress / WooCommerce and there are many who like using it

2 Week FREE Trial of our Shared Hosting plans (DIrectAdmin or cPanel) for new customers
2 Week FREE Trial of Astra Firewall and Malware Scanner
Visit our website for full details and to start your trial today - www.evolvewebhost.com

Location - Denver, Colorado, USA

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:10 pm

While it is true that there should be a better quality control for 3rd party OpenCart extensions, especially for web themes, the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence, see e.g. https://wordpress.org/support/view/all-topics/

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by OpenJunk » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:19 am

EvolveWebHosting wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:48 am
Not even sure what to say here..... Opencart serves a different purpose than Wordpress / WooCommerce and there are many who like using it
What is this different purpose?

Opencart developers need some real feedback. If I say it loud enough and angry enough maybe they will understand what the actual issues are and work on fixing them. If not?...

What it really comes down to is this: People who have the technical knowledge to work with Opencart understand that there are much better options. People who don't have the technical knowledge to debug/custom code don't have a fighting chance building an Opencart site. And building a website/ecommerce store without knowing coding/programming is why content management systems exist.

Post by OpenJunk » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:22 am

Cue4cheap wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:22 am
OpenJunk wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:14 am

I guess you don't have a clue so no need to rant, just convert the stores then go away.
Everyone will be converting their stores once Opencart dies. Just search the last 5 years in Google Trends. Not a good look.