Post by OC2PS » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:16 pm

I have submitted a pull request in GitHub already. (meaning I have already written the code and donated to the community by submitting to the core team)

Please vote for merging this pull request at: http://opencart.uservoice.com/forums/52 ... al-reviews (meaning please vote for it so that the core team include my code in core so that the feature is available to everyone)
On the product pages, only those reviews show show up that are in the current display language.

Ratings should continue to be aggregated across languages.

This will involve database changes, and hence I've marked it as a major feature from development perspective.

Technically shouldn't be hard to do...what I am asking for really is

Creating a new table review_language and move the following fields from review table to this new table:
customer_id
author
text

Additionally, this new table shall obviously have the following fields:
review_id
language_id

rating, product_id, status etc should remain in the original review table.

Of course, there is the alternative of just adding the field language_id to the table review, and then changing the way reviews are displayed, and (not changing how) ratings are calculated. I think this method might be easier to implement, and easier also for upgrading/ backwards-compatability.

OC2PS
OC 3.0.3.7, vQmod 2.6.2, Journal3 theme
Arcfesték, Csillámtetoválás, Henna
Check out: All my extensions | My FREE extensions

Location - Hungary

Post by fido-x » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:10 pm

Since it is your customer who writes the review, chances are they will write it in THEIR LANGUAGE. Are you suggesting that customers should write their review of your product in EVERY language you support? Or are you suggesting that the store owner (ie. you) should rewrite every review in every language that you support?

Modules for OpenCart 2.3.0.2
Homepage Module [Free - since OpenCart 0.7.7]
Multistore Extensions
Store Manager Multi-Vendor/Multi-Store management tool

If you're not living on the edge ... you're taking up too much space!

Expert Member

Location - Tasmania, Australia

Post by OC2PS » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:21 pm

Neither.

I am suggesting that the language of the product page be tagged when a customer writes a review. If a customer writes a review on an English product page, it is tagged as English review, if (s)he writes it on a German product page it is tagged as a German review. And subsequently on English pages only English reviews are shown and on German reviews are shown on the German pages.

I am NOT suggesting that each review be written in all installed languages the way product descriptions are written in each language. Rather, I am saying that if a user is visiting an English product page, we should assume (s)he understands English and is interested in English reviews and show only reviews written in English rather than a mix of English, German, Dutch and French reviews in a haphazard fashion.

In technical terms, I am not asking for a multipart form like Shop Admin for Products/Categories/Information. NO! The review form on the product page should be just one, the user should submit just one review.

What I am talking about is output filtering, not input.

For the ratings though, when calculating the average rating we should use ALL ratings/reviews irrespective of language.

Hope I have managed to make myself a bit clearer.

OC2PS

Location - Hungary

Post by fido-x » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:35 pm

sooskriszta wrote:... If a customer writes a review on an English product page, it is tagged as English review, if (s)he writes it on a German product page it is tagged as a German review. And subsequently on English pages only English reviews are shown and on German reviews are shown on the German pages...
So, I visit your site, view it in English (as that's the language I speak) and write a review for one of your products. Another customer comes along and views your site in another language, where's the review I wrote?

Multistore Extensions

Expert Member

Post by OSWorX » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:49 pm

fido-x wrote:
sooskriszta wrote:... If a customer writes a review on an English product page, it is tagged as English review, if (s)he writes it on a German product page it is tagged as a German review. And subsequently on English pages only English reviews are shown and on German reviews are shown on the German pages...
So, I visit your site, view it in English (as that's the language I speak) and write a review for one of your products. Another customer comes along and views your site in another language, where's the review I wrote?
Not visible - because I (the customer) speak only German and cannot read (and understand) your review in english.
Therefore nothing for my interest.

But i cases where visitors do speak several languages, maybe an option to show all reviews in all languages (not only in mine).

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by OC2PS » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:36 am

fido-x wrote:So, I visit your site, view it in English (as that's the language I speak) and write a review for one of your products. Another customer comes along and views your site in another language, where's the review I wrote?
Not shown!

OC2PS

Location - Hungary

Post by OC2PS » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:44 am

OSWorX wrote:But in cases where visitors do speak several languages, maybe an option to show all reviews in all languages (not only in mine).
Not critical at all. For me at least. I think what I have asked for above covers 90% of the cases.

However, if others think that it is important then for multilingual visitors, we can have the following idea (this is somewhat like what tripadvisor does):
Let's say I visit the product page in German, and there are German, Dutch and English reviews submitted by other users, then here's what I see when I scroll down to the Review section/ click on the Review tab:
First of all, I see all the German reviews.
Then after all German reviews, there's a header that says "Reviews submitted in other languages:"
This is followed by all other reviews. After the name of each author, name of language is stated.

e.g.

Reviews

Rainer
Sehr gut!

Ingo
Sehr gut!

Reviews written in other languages

Robert (English)
Very good!

Laszlo (Hungarian)
Eros!

Francois (French)
Tres bien!

OC2PS

Location - Hungary

Post by fido-x » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:09 pm

Now, that is a far better idea than what you first suggested.

Multistore Extensions

Expert Member

Post by i2Paq » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:09 pm

Why do you think the stars are there? ;)

Would you not think that a one star with a lot of writing in a language that you do not understand would mean the same as 5 stars in that same language you do not understand?

To have this it would mean a lot of coding + sql adjustments plus I think it is a nice feature to have, but there are more important ones atm. :)

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by OC2PS » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:39 am

Why have reviews at all then? Why not only ratings (stars)?

Reviews serve an essential purpose in that they make the ratings "real" with some vivid experiences and personal stories. However, this is lost if reviews are all mixed with each other and you don't understand most of them.

Thus, from my perspective, the stars should be calculated based on all feedback provided. But only those reviews should be shown to me that I understand.

In fact, if we ask users to log in to write reviews, I'd even say allow them to leave blank reviews (and only provide a star rating) if they so desire (i.e. remove the minimum character restriction from review text). Amazon, IMDB, Tripadvisor etc do exactly this....just because there are 10 ratings, doesn't mean that there need to be 10 reviews...

The basic requirement doesn't require HUGE changes....
If a user visits EN page, show only EN reviews.
This requires:
1. one simple database change, which is to add language_id field to table review.
2. when customer submits a review, capture page language and save it along with other fields.
3. when displaying product page, add language_id in the sql statement that calls the reviews data.

OC2PS

Location - Hungary

Post by OC2PS » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:49 am

i2Paq wrote:Would you not think that a one star with a lot of writing in a language that you do not understand would mean the same as 5 stars in that same language you do not understand?
I agree. That's why I originally suggested that OC should show only the reviews written in the page's language.

However, I do see some merit in fido-x's argument, and being Dutch you may be able to appreciate this, that the user *MAY* understand more languages than the one that the page is written in....and for that I provided the example, which, by the way, is how tripadvisor does it. In fact they do one better - they SORT by language while displaying...

That being said, I think it solves 90-95% of my issue if we just show what's been written in the same language as the page.

OC2PS

Location - Hungary

Post by OC2PS » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:58 pm

Any chance anybosy else is even a tiny bit interested in working on this? 1.5.0...1.5.5....1.6.0.... :choke:

OC2PS

Location - Hungary

Post by OSWorX » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:18 am

sooskriszta wrote:Any chance anybosy else is even a tiny bit interested in working on this? 1.5.0...1.5.5....1.6.0.... :choke:
More than interested.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by OC2PS » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:48 am

OSWorX wrote:
sooskriszta wrote:Any chance anybosy else is even a tiny bit interested in working on this? 1.5.0...1.5.5....1.6.0.... :choke:
More than interested.
I've gotta say, I'm quite relieved to hear that!

Should I construe this to mean you are working on a solution?

OC2PS

Location - Hungary

Post by OC2PS » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:18 pm

Bump?

OC2PS

Location - Hungary

Post by OC2PS » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:38 pm

Anyone?

OC2PS

Location - Hungary

Post by i2Paq » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:57 pm

OSWorX has a modificated version of OpenCart that is designed for the European Community.

He probably means he will add the multi-lingual reviews to his version.

Norman in 't Veldt

Global Moderator

Post by OC2PS » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:16 am

No offence to OSWorX but forking does not really help the project. The core product supports so much internationalization that an "International Edition" isn't needed. There are just a very short wish list that we who use OpenCart from non English speaking countries still have, when it comes to OC. And I hope this can be implemented in the core version itself.

I am still running 1.2.9 in my production environment...unable to reap many of the benefits of newer versions....simply because I have too many mods and am afraid upgrading would break things.....I hope to upgrade with the release of 1.5.0.1 :) as more and more of the features that I needed (and sometimes implemented via mods/hacks) are becoming available either in the core or as self-contained modules....

There is no way I am going to repeat the agony (of not being able to update as soon as newer versions become available) by going to a fork...

So I hope someone provides me help here within OC!

OC2PS

Location - Hungary

Post by i2Paq » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:27 pm

sooskriszta wrote:No offence to OSWorX but forking does not really help the project.
I agree, knowledge and effort gets lost while not many will use a fork just because they have now idea if support will continue.
Personally I think it would be better if certain modifications would be released to the OC community instead as a fork.

Norman in 't Veldt

Global Moderator

Post by OC2PS » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:50 pm

Daniel/Q, Can you please at least capture the review language (i.e. language of the write review page) into the database (1.5.0) even if it is not used for now?

OC2PS

Location - Hungary