Post by tommyla » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:45 pm

i have a norwegian+english store, so atm i have to type in english and norwegian description, weight, lenght, and nearly every single thing twice, would be nice if we could get a option in setting/setting that basicly forces everything to be the same

this will be a god send for everyone that runs a multi-language store with the same description

Location - Norway

Post by Qphoria » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:22 pm

Only name, description, and tags are language based.
There are localized statuses and length, weight classes, but those should be copied from english when you first install the new language

Administrator

Post by tommyla » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:53 pm

yes but when you add a product you still have to type in two languages, it would be nice if there was a swich somewhere that made them be one not two

so basicly fill in the infomation that is on english or other language when adding product etc
atm you have to manual add it when you use two languages

Location - Norway

Post by Qphoria » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:42 am

How are 2 languages the same? Why would you have 2 languages if you want them to be the same?

Administrator

Post by tommyla » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:22 am

Qphoria wrote:How are 2 languages the same? Why would you have 2 languages if you want them to be the same?
the thing is 2 languages are mandatory even if i just want norwegian

Location - Norway

Post by dada » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:19 am

He is right. I've the same problem:

I use only one language (not english), but when i add, for example, new product in admin section, I am asked to write something in English language field. It says it's mandatory. I can't save until I fill both languages title fields. I don't need product name in English. I will never use it and would like not to waste time filling these fields for no reason.

How to change this?

Post by Qphoria » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:34 am

Well I'd say uninstall english if not using english, but that would remove fallback support. Not that its a big deal. You will just see (ex.) "text_xxxx" instead of "xxxx" for words that don't have a translation from english

Administrator

Post by dada » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:48 am

It worked. Thank you!

Post by tommyla » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:40 am

dada wrote:It worked. Thank you!
worked for me to, now i dont need to waste another line of useless English :laugh:
but combine language fields should be a option in settings/settings so people with multi-language stores can use one language for info product description and product name and use the translation of the store for the catalog front end only

this way you dont need to delete english and mess up modules/addons

Location - Norway

Post by i2Paq » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:28 pm

Qphoria wrote:Only name, description, and tags are language based.
It would be useful if you could use a tick-box called "use default language" to tick and then it will use the name, description, and tags from the default language.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by tommyla » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:35 am

i2Paq wrote:
Qphoria wrote:Only name, description, and tags are language based.
It would be useful if you could use a tick-box called "use default language" to tick and then it will use the name, description, and tags from the default language.
yes

Location - Norway

Post by OC2PS » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:05 pm

i2Paq wrote:It would be useful if you could use a tick-box called "use default language" to tick and then it will use the name, description, and tags from the default language.
I understand that you are saying that its not hard to implement. But what's the use case? Why would someone want to do this?

Since developer time is limited, and there are a ton of features that can actually make OC better for a majority of users, I would suggest not to do this even if it's easy....or maybe I just havent understood the need well...

OC2PS
OC 3.0.3.7, vQmod 2.6.2, Journal3 theme
Arcfesték, Csillámtetoválás, Henna
Check out: All my extensions | My FREE extensions

Location - Hungary

Post by tommyla » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:47 pm

sooskriszta wrote:
i2Paq wrote:It would be useful if you could use a tick-box called "use default language" to tick and then it will use the name, description, and tags from the default language.
I understand that you are saying that its not hard to implement. But what's the use case? Why would someone want to do this?

Since developer time is limited, and there are a ton of features that can actually make OC better for a majority of users, I would suggest not to do this even if it's easy....or maybe I just havent understood the need well...
atm people that run multi-language stores has to put THE SAME FREAKING name, description, twice or more if they run 2 languages or more in oc, unless they just delete english language folder and make the store single-language, most of the time only the front end of the store is needed to be translated not the names and descriptions.

sooo
if you got 108 products, and have 4 languages (english, norwegian, swedish and danish), that translates to 432 products for all languages to edit

try it your self, install 4 languages and see how well you can add 108 products

and i do agree somethings are more important, like Order Entry http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 99&start=0 is far more important than anything atm (aka you can manualy add a order to a customer from within admin area when they call, in person, email or fax(who ever uses fax,are now wreid people)
Last edited by tommyla on Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Location - Norway

Post by Qphoria » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:58 pm

It is very easy to copy the default across all languages and I may look into that option.. but really you guys are missing the point. You have different languages because you want to support people of different languages. If you don't want to support english then uninstall it. Same with all other languages.

Administrator

Post by tommyla » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:06 pm

Qphoria wrote:It is very easy to copy the default across all languages and I may look into that option.. but really you guys are missing the point. You have different languages because you want to support people of different languages. If you don't want to support english then uninstall it. Same with all other languages.
yes i did uninstall "English" but how will it work with modules? will it just do text_xxx? etc
anyway it works good so far, now i just need to find a donate button on this site ::) i wonder where :P

Location - Norway

Post by OC2PS » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:56 pm

tommyla wrote:try it your self, install 4 languages and see how well you can add 108 products
I do have 3 languages and it does take time to provide names descriptions etc multiple times. (I have close to 1000 products).

But the point is why would you install a language if you don't want to support it through names, descriptions etc in that language? That's what I am unable to understand so far.

OC2PS
OC 3.0.3.7, vQmod 2.6.2, Journal3 theme
Arcfesték, Csillámtetoválás, Henna
Check out: All my extensions | My FREE extensions

Location - Hungary