Post by gaidin » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:16 pm

I have been working with Wordpress for about 8mths now and love the ease with which you can add features through plugins/widgets.

I love Opencart for its clean look and simplicity of use and think they both would make a great team.

Has anyone thought of creating a opencart plugin for wordpress? Where you could use the tag (those [] things :) )method to insert opencart functions into a blog/CMS.

So you could have an Opencart installation side by side with Wordpress and the [TAGS] via the plugin would call the needed Opencart functions.

eg: you could have a tag called [BASKET] that you could use to insert the Opencart basket/shopping cart into a page.

Not sure if I am stating this clearly for the smarter folks here to understand or if its a lot more difficult than I perceive it to be.

I think it would allow Opencart to vault over the other cart options out there and would make a big leap in solving what I think is one of Opencart weakness, a lack of a large number of freely available templates.

As for users couldnt you simply capture/access the wordpress user creation and just use that info to add new user to the Opencart customer table? Or better use the plugin to over-ride the wordpress user creation creating your new user creation page with all the Opencart requirements?

This allow those who only want a standalone Opencart with fully customized front-end to do so but for those who only want to access the basic features in a mixed site can do so also with the option of completley switching over to an all Opencart setting in the future as their database would be the same.

Is this a crazy idea?
Last edited by i2Paq on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved

Post by Qphoria » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:37 pm

The problem is that OpenCart is not a "module". It's a full fledge framework and full fledged site. It would be like merging Wordpress with Joomla.. or Oscommerce with Zencart. The best you could really do would be a bridge.

Administrator

Post by gaidin » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:33 am

well a bridge is exactly what I was thinking of. Not to make Opencart THE plugin, but to create a module/plugin that passes the opencart info to a wordpress page via tags so the module would read the opencart database and replace the [BASKET] with the actual basket content or [TOTAL] with the basket total , [LATESTPROD] with the latest product, [CATAGORIES] with a dropdown list of the catagories, etc.

the plugin/module would act as a go between, reading the opencart content and passing them to wordpress, and grabbing the results and passing back to opencart.

So you would have two complete installations of both maybe using one database for both but use prefix to ensure the tables for both are distinct.

I think you could even over time have it go both ways where a opencart installation could have a module that call and pull in wordpress functionality from a full side by side wordpress installation.

btw; the last time I messed with zencart they had done something similar but much less complex with zencart and phpBB. installing both and having them share user list, so if you created a userID in zencart that ID was also created in phpBB.

Post by Salis » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:47 am

gaidin wrote:well a bridge is exactly what I was thinking of. Not to make Opencart THE plugin, but to create a module/plugin that passes the opencart info to a wordpress page via tags so the module would read the opencart database and replace the [BASKET] with the actual basket content or [TOTAL] with the basket total , [LATESTPROD] with the latest product, [CATAGORIES] with a dropdown list of the catagories, etc.
I've actually been thinking of creating a plug-in like this recently -- I can definitely see how it might come in handy for certain people (including myself). I'd still call it unlikely that I'll get to it, but I'll let you know if I ever pursue the idea.

If nothing else I second your opinion that it'd be cool to have.

Post by NoExtraTime » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:32 pm

I'm interested in building this "bridge" to be able to install a wordpress plugin that could use shortcodes to put different opencart pieces where you use the shortcodes in your wordpress site.

Is there anybody else that is interested in this?

I love opencart, and wordpress, and wordpress has limited plugins for e-commerce (opencart would make the best e-commerce plugin for wordpress, better than all the ones that currently exist.)

Thanks,

Josh

Currently developing an awesome eBay integration extension for Open Cart
Demo is Live!
You can checkout screenshots and other development status on my website

Post by sizzlingscience » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:45 pm

Yes, I would be very interested in this.

I love the ease of Wordpress and the fuctionality of Opencart.

Melanie.

Post by migz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:55 am

How about the other way around? Integration of wordpress to opencart. Like, they share user accounts/passwords. I think that will be enough, and different admin is ok.

Post by DannyMacD » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:13 am

if i had the ability to run a store on opencart and have it intergrated with wordpress that would be amazing.
would like to control this with all 1 admin panel tho.

altho the only thing i like about wordpress for me is the ability to add pages and extra tabs on top to have my own pages.. (tabs next to Home, Login, etc)

so if there was a feature to add you own tabs and manage them via admin panel. that would be cool O0

Post by NoExtraTime » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:25 pm

I'm thinking of the best way to integrate this, and I agree that it would need to be able to have one admin area that manages both wordpress and opencart. I'm hoping to take all the OC modules and turn them into wordpress widgets so you can put them in the sidebars like the oc store has anyways.

Also, I need to nail down how best to create a seemless look so your blog pages or whatever look like your store pages, so i might have to strip and hack and slice OC user view template files and strip out the css and let the wordpress theme run the css show.

I am interested in this so much because the currently available e-commerce plugins for wordpress all fall short in certain areas and it makes it hard to create a solid all-the-way-around e-commerce site sometimes, but with OC (OC is awesome and very full featured) the combination would be truly great!

Anyways, there are my thoughts...

Currently developing an awesome eBay integration extension for Open Cart
Demo is Live!
You can checkout screenshots and other development status on my website

Post by 2020media » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:18 pm

I see that something similar has been done with Prestashop (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-prestashop/).
It looks like its wrapper for a standalone install of Prestashop, so might not be that hard to implement for OpenCart.

Good luck to those who are able to write the code!

Rex
--
UK Open Source Hosting Plans http://www.2020media.com

Post by taco95060 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:27 pm

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. Anyways, you can bootstrap drupal with opencarts startup script, which-- although you will be using the drupal admin as a cms, allows you to print any drupal content onto the oc site. All by using simple drupal template tags in opencarts views.

Cheers

Tyson

Post by OC2PS » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:57 pm

Excellent idea. Would welcome the "integration"

OC2PS
OC 3.0.3.7, vQmod 2.6.2, Journal3 theme
Arcfesték, Csillámtetoválás, Henna
Check out: All my extensions | My FREE extensions

Location - Hungary

Post by gaidin » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:00 pm

I think the OC team would do This great ecommerce software a world of good by starting work on creating a Wordpress for it. Wordpress is extremly popular because:
  • ease of use
    simplicity of adding features via plugins
    the thousands of plugins available to add almost any feature
    the vast number of themes/skins
People here and on wordpress sites are seeking an ecommerce/Wordpress solution there are a few, but not great. Eventually one of the other major open source Ecommerce solution will create a Wordpress plugin and it will take off.

OC Team don't be the one playing catch-up, be the leader.

With your knowledge of Opencart and PHP skills I think you could create a simple plugin to start;

one that passed the major features to Wordpress from a standard OC installation
  • The Product display (w/price)

Integrate login

Customer cart

Product search

Checkout
The other features could be added as time goes on, such as bestseller shortcode, new products, sale products, etc

http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread ... 845&page=2

And this wouldn't affect those who still wants to use OC as a standalone solution

Do it now folks before the boat sails under a different but inferior captain

Post by CnBoYer » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:36 pm

good job
i also need it

Post by OnlyBlue » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:02 am

I'm also looking forward thus a plugin. :)

Post by storeoc » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:54 pm

Has anyone tried every single wordpress ecommerce plugin out there?

I tried many and finally discovered opencart which I loved, but then this year a wordpress ecommerce plugin was released which was fantastic, and it was free. Better than all the other plugins. I did test it out but since I had opencart installed and I liked it, I kept opencart.

Post by mystifier » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:11 am

When asked to look at doing my first online shop recently, I looked at wordpress offerings as a start point.

The best free native plug-in I found was eShop but I quickly came to the conclusion that I needed a dedicated shopping cart. I looked at wp-oscommerce but it seemed like an oscommerce attempt at rescuing itself. So, I ended up looking at open source carts and decided on Opencart.

I have it working with Wordpress on a development site.

Free v1.4.9 Extensions: Default Specials | Improved Search | Customer Activity Report | Customer Groups | Royal Mail With Handling | Improved Product Page | Random Products | Stock Report | All Products

Post by Bizcat99 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:49 am

Opencart/Wordpress Integration

Small Biz owners like myself who use Wordpress and need a solid ecommerce solution to addon would truly appreciate a Wordpress/Opencart integration. The currently available Wordpress plugins just aren't there at the moment to be considered serious applications. IMHO, Apache's OfBiz solution is the best open source solution that offers Ecommerce, CRM, ERP, Accounting, etc (full suite), however, there are not a lot of providers that work with it and/or are at all interested in providing small businesses with this application. The customization costs (mainly theming) are prohibitive and the major road block. OfBiz may be much too comprehensive for many small businesses, but it is a very full featured, stable and secure solution and you can only use the parts of it that you choose.

However, with that being said, in my review of other ecommerce solutions looking for fundamently sound, well coded, compliant, well thought out, easy to use and administer (for customers and admin) solutions that one hopes will be reliable, secure and stable, I think Opencart has potential. This set of principals applies to the provider/s and community behind the product as well since it goes without saying that this is the cornerstone of any good long-term conscientious endeavour that is intended for the "Greater Good of All", for which, reward will always follow.

I wish to encourage the greater community to "Build the Bridge" to marry these two frameworks together. Make it one that everyone, customer, business owner, developer/s and the greater community can depend on and be proud of. this will undoubtedly result in great service and much success for everyone.

Post by bwoose » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:11 pm

have you got the url so i can see it mystifler?

cheers

Post by kquandry » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:27 pm

I JUST installed OpenCart on my server... and LOVE it. I use Wordpress for my sites and wouldn't change a thing, but I was setting up my opencart site, figuring I could just link it to my wordpress sites no problem. I started to do so and realized how great it would be to have a wordpress plugin for it... so I went to the plugin section to see if one was there.

Of course there is not, but I did see a few others, like oscommerce and the like, OScommerce is alright, but I really love Opencart so I, for one would be thrilled to see a smart person out there design a really useful plugin to get these two powerhouse programs together!

I can't wait until I hear of an OpenCart plugin for Wordpress! That will be a great day. I know there are other options out there, but I have a few sites using wordpress and they are pretty well established, so changing now would be horrible... and I have no need to because Wordpress is awesome (for the most part). Even though I just started using OpenCart... I think I am hooked. I have tried several others, and did not like them like I do OpenCart. Now that I have settled on Opencart, and have a long history with wordpress, I would FLIP to see the joining of the two.

thanks in advance to all you smart people out there that can make things like this happen. I really appreciate standing on the shoulders of giants, if ya know what I mean. I would be nothing without all of you.

Please let me know if this becomes a reality.