Post by vkaltchev » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:33 am

One more time about zones and geo zones. I have 1.4.7 and ran across the following issue: when I go in Localization/Countries the last entry is Libyan Arab Jamahiriya; the same for Zones. I am using only USA and Canada for customer base and even though I found Canada, USA is not there. However, when I go in Zones to create a new Zone in the drop down country list USA comes as an option, the same with creating a new GeoZone - USA comes in the drop down list ,as well as, all States as Zones. I would like to remove the extra US Zones (e.g. armed forces, Federated State of Micronesia and so on) but I can't figure out a way to access them through Administration.

Your help is badly needed and will be greatly appreciated :'(
Cheers,
Valentina

Post by Qphoria » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:27 pm

vkaltchev wrote:One more time about zones and geo zones. I have 1.4.7 and ran across the following issue: when I go in Localization/Countries the last entry is Libyan Arab Jamahiriya; the same for Zones. I am using only USA and Canada for customer base and even though I found Canada, USA is not there. However, when I go in Zones to create a new Zone in the drop down country list USA comes as an option, the same with creating a new GeoZone - USA comes in the drop down list ,as well as, all States as Zones. I would like to remove the extra US Zones (e.g. armed forces, Federated State of Micronesia and so on) but I can't figure out a way to access them through Administration.

Your help is badly needed and will be greatly appreciated :'(
Cheers,
Valentina
This is covered in the 1.4.7 bug thread

Administrator

Post by vkaltchev » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:35 am

Thank you Q; it worked out just great!
Valentina :-[

Post by peteVA » Fri May 07, 2010 5:04 am

I can't believe I have been banging my head on the keyboard for an hour and a half trying to get Virginia Sales Tax to show up, deleting and redoing step after step half a dozen times, only to find that it shows up just fine AFTER picking a payment method.

I've used I can't tell you how many carts, all of which show the sales tax and correct order total BEFORE getting to the payment method step.

From a practical standpoint of dealing with the public doesn't it make sense for the shipping amount and the actual order total be shown before asking someone to pick a payment method they may abandon, once they find out what the true total is?

Just seems like the sequence is not in the right order.

A Trusted Wholesale Dropshipper
Web Hosting Under $ 5.00 Month! FREE Shopping Carts!
25,000+ Real Wholesale & Dropship Sources!

Post by i2Paq » Fri May 07, 2010 5:11 am

I'm running an osCommerce shop but it only displays the Tax on the last page, where you confirm the order, same as OC.
Both after picking shipping and payment -method.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by peteVA » Fri May 07, 2010 5:41 am

OSC was a 90's thing. That was when you were brave to order online. :)

Post by Qphoria » Fri May 07, 2010 10:43 pm

peteVA wrote:I can't believe I have been banging my head on the keyboard for an hour and a half trying to get Virginia Sales Tax to show up, deleting and redoing step after step half a dozen times, only to find that it shows up just fine AFTER picking a payment method.

I've used I can't tell you how many carts, all of which show the sales tax and correct order total BEFORE getting to the payment method step.

From a practical standpoint of dealing with the public doesn't it make sense for the shipping amount and the actual order total be shown before asking someone to pick a payment method they may abandon, once they find out what the true total is?

Just seems like the sequence is not in the right order.
Well this is a slightly tricky bit. Actually the tax is added after choosing a shipping address, which is normal, but since the totals aren't shown until the confirm page, it doesn't show anywhere until then.
In the next version I've improved the cart sidebox to update with all totals as they are added.

Administrator

Post by peteVA » Sat May 08, 2010 12:16 am

Cheers!

Many of the major online shops now have a way to check shipping before checkout. Shipping costs are a major cause of abandoned carts.

And it does make sense to have taxes after the shipping method / costs are known when shipping is taxable, as it sometimes is.

So many in the US expect online shopping to be "sales tax free" that finding they have to pay in some cases can also be a cause for abandonment, I would imagine.

Q, you are thinking on how to improve things all the time, and your judgment and efforts are certainly appreciated by me and I am sure many others, as well.

You are definitely the yang to offset the yin of some others who have the power to edit the forum.

Post by Qphoria » Sat May 08, 2010 12:23 am

Yea a shipping estimator is planned but needs some other changes to work which may have to wait for 1.5.x

Administrator

Post by niceandripe » Tue May 25, 2010 6:59 pm

is there a quick way of selecting all the countries in Europe for a shipping zone?

going thru one by one from the drop down is very tedious... having them listed as check boxes would be much easier.

i also want to have a rest of the world shipping zone too, and this i fear is going to be a very long, slow and tedious task :(

Post by Qphoria » Tue May 25, 2010 9:46 pm

not at this time unfortunately.

Administrator

Post by Freddo » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:54 pm

niceandripe wrote:i also want to have a rest of the world shipping zone too, and this i fear is going to be a very long, slow and tedious task :(
Find this line in /admin/view/template/localisation/geo_zone_form.tpl:

Code: Select all

<td class="left"><a onclick="addGeoZone();" class="button"><span><?php echo $button_add_geo_zone; ?></span></a></td>

And change to:

<td class="left"><a onclick="addGeoZone();" class="button"><span><?php echo $button_add_geo_zone; ?></span></a><a onclick="addAllGeoZones();" class="button"><span><?php echo "Add All Geo Zones"; ?></span></a></td>

Add this function to the bottom javascipt:

function addAllGeoZones() {
        <?php foreach ($countries as $country) { ?>
                html  = '<tbody id="zone_to_geo_zone_row' + zone_to_geo_zone_row + '">';
                html += '<tr><td class="left">';
                html += '<select name="zone_to_geo_zone[' + zone_to_geo_zone_row + '][country_id]" id="country' + zone_to_geo_zone_row + '" onchange="$(\'#zone' + zone_to_geo_zone_row + '\').load(\'index.php?route=localisation/geo_zone/zone&country_id=\' + this.value + \'&zone_id=0\');">';
                html += '<option value="<?php echo $country['country_id']; ?>"><?php echo addslashes($country['name']); ?></option>';
                html += '</select></td><td class="left">';
                html += '<select name="zone_to_geo_zone[' + zone_to_geo_zone_row + '][zone_id]" id="zone' + zone_to_geo_zone_row + '"><option value="0">All Zones</option>';
                html += '</select></td><td class="left">';
                html += '<a onclick="$(\'#zone_to_geo_zone_row' + zone_to_geo_zone_row + '\').remove();" class="button"><span>Remove</span></a>';
                html += '</td></tr></tbody>';
                $('#zone_to_geo_zone').append(html);
                zone_to_geo_zone_row++;
                <?php } ?>
        }
Thats it!

PS. Be careful of line returns.... in the JS

Post by Qphoria » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:56 pm

You could have just linked to my mod thread about Add All Geozones. But I don't think that works in later versions

Administrator

Post by Freddo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:25 am

Qphoria wrote:You could have just linked to my mod thread about Add All Geozones. But I don't think that works in later versions
It doesn't - this does. And my version is faster.

Post by Qphoria » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:31 am

ah ok.. didn't know you had your own version. looks similar at initial view.

Administrator

Post by Freddo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:11 am

Qphoria wrote:ah ok.. didn't know you had your own version. looks similar at initial view.
It IS an update of your version. ;D

Post by peteVA » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:31 am

I am now having quite a problem in the fact that for shipping if I choose United States / All Zones I am going to lose money on shipping. Courier shipping to American Samoa or Northern Mariana Islands is considerably more than to the contiguous 48 states.

Other carts I have used have let you go down a dropdown of countries or states and by holding the Control key and clicking it's possible to add just the countries or states clicked to that zone. It looks like here I have to enter 48 or more individual listings just to have the real states as one cost and eliminate the other possessions.

Please tell me this is not true and I and just overlooking something.

Same with countries. I've got a dozen worldwide zones, all with from 2 to 142 countries in them. Am I going to have to enter 50 states, plus DC, all one individual lines and then enter 142 countries in another zone by listing each and every one as a separate line?

I certainly hope that is not the case.

Post by londonsandy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:04 pm

Hi

Newbie here, just started using version 1.4.9.1.

I have about 800 products and have all the weights for them, however this does not take into account any packaging costs. I can use royal mail and have set this up, but the postage costs are too low.

I have tried to use weight based shipping as well but this seems to mean adding lots of new geozones and putting in weights for all of them.

Would it be easier just to take all my shipping weights and multiply them up, to allow for some packaging weights rather than trying to go to all the bother of adding lots of zones?

I have read Q's posting on this which is wonderful, but cant see the best way to do this

Cheers!

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by mcamca » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:43 pm

Been using Opencart 1.4.8b successfully since its release.
Set up to ship to UK/all zones using Paypal standard only. No problems!

Shipping zone set to: UK - all zones.
Only Shipping Method used: Royal Mail set to: First Class/First Class Recorded/Second Class Recorded and Standard Parcels.
Weight classes: All set to Kilogram
Product weights: Entered as Kilogram (eg. 200g entered as 0.2)

Recently had many requests for sales to Ireland. Hence added Ireland/all zones in the shipping zone being used:
Shipping method as above but added Airmail and Airsure.

Problem:
Basket weights 0.2 kilogram and under for Ireland show both Airmail and Airsure - OK!
Basket weights over 0.2 kilogram for Ireland show Airsure only - Not OK!

Royal Mail Airmail ships up to 2.0000 Kg but OC only allows Royal Mail Airmail up to 0.2Kg

Cannot used weight based shipping because Royal Mail has variable prices for its different shipping methods.

CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE!

Sorry if answer is already on the forum but have spent 2hrs trying to find it without success!