Post by kisaac » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:50 pm

Apologies for the newbie question -- I did try to search for an answer but was unsuccessful. I'm not adept with the lingo, which I think is why I'm failing at this step. I've installed the OC files (v3.0.2.0) and I'm on step 3 (configuration) on my server, which involves supplying database connection details. Unfortunately, the OC documentation only shows a picture of this screen, with no further help -- is there a place where these fields are better defined? The field names don't match what I'm seeing in CPanel.

Do I assume the Hostname = my website name? My web server is Web Hosting Canada (whc), and no matter what I enter in the Username field, the resulting error includes "mysqli::__construct(): (28000/1045): Access denied for user 'username'@'laurierweb.whc.ca' (using password: YES)".

How can I move forward and finish my installation? Thanks for your attention, and I'm happy to provide whatever additional info you need.

Post by Johnathan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:20 pm

Usually you can leave the hostname as "localhost" (no quotes) for the connection. If that doesn't work, you probably should contact your web host, and access them what to use for that setting --- they should hopefully know.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by kisaac » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:04 am

Johnathan wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:20 pm
Usually you can leave the hostname as "localhost" (no quotes) for the connection. If that doesn't work, you probably should contact your web host, and access them what to use for that setting --- they should hopefully know.
Thanks so much, Johnathan -- that entry, with a few attempts using different combinations of usernames, worked for me. Much appreciated!

Post by Johnathan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:26 pm

Glad I was able to help. :good:

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by diecastmodels » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:34 am

Well, this is where I need to start; I've got a very similar problem.
I installed OpenCart on my site this week, and got stalled in the installation step 3 where it asks for the hostname. Localhost is prefilled in the blank, but when I've entered the rest, my answers are rejected. I've always thought localhost only applied to my computer, not the website. I had set up the database and tried various answers to show the path to the database, but none of these were accepted.

This morning I went to Hostgator support, for there is where I have my Reseller Account on a VPS server. I was advised to use my IP address. I tried that, but no go. (Besides, that IP applies to over 20 websites, so it would seem we need a separate address for this site). So now I'm looking for some clue from OpenCart's Support Dept. I have tried browsing in the forums, but this is the first I've seen anyone dealing with this problem (albeit in 2018). Hopefully, you've dealt with this before at other times and can easily lead me to the answer.
Blessings & Thanks,
Ruth Friesen

Post by ADD Creative » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:55 am

What error messages or entries in the error logs are your getting?

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by diecastmodels » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:29 am

I just tried it again, and leaving localhost in for Hostname, I get this error above the form:
Error: Could not make a database link using my2niece_4Tom@localhost!
No matter what other names I use for localhost - the error message is always such as the above.
I should perhaps mention that since I made my post above I have confirmed with my hosting service Hostgator, and my VPS server on which I host 20+ sites, as the same IP address for all of them and the same portal # for all of them 3306.

It has just occurred to me that OpenCart can be installed from the Softaculous Apps installer at the bottom of cPanel. I wondering if would automatically fill in that blank correctly? I wrote to OpenCart Support on Friday detailing all my efforts; so far no reply. So maybe it would be worthwhile to delete the files I had uploaded manually, and go install from inside the cPanel.
I may just poke around the forum a bit longer first in case someone else can report a better idea.

Blessings & Thanks,
Ruth Friesen

Post by ADD Creative » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:36 am

It could be just that the username, password or database name are wrong. Sadly the error message OpenCart gives is now very unhelpful, you would have to remove the error handling from system/library/db/mysqli.php to find the real error.

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - United Kingdom