Post by Cue4cheap » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:07 pm

How in the world can it work? How can we collect the tax for everywhere that requires it, and at what rate, keep track of what rates to charge AND how do we send that tax to EVERY place that we collected the tax for?

I must be missing something because I don't know how I could keep up with all of this.
Does anyone using Opencart currently do this? If so, how do you do it?

Thank you,
Mike

cue4cheap not cheap quality

Expert Member

Post by Johnathan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:45 pm

There are services that do this, like TaxCloud.net, and my assumption is that every small business is going to have to sign up for one like that. Larger businesses can hire someone to handle the tax rates and submitting sales tax forms, but small businesses don't have that luxury. I have a TaxCloud Integration extension that works with TaxCloud, and if people have other services they use that they'd like an extension for, let me know and I'll look into creating an OpenCart extension for that.

I did read that smaller business (with revenue under $100,000 per year) will be exempt, but that's a pretty low threshold. I'm not sure what's going to happen, honestly, since if a bunch of small online businesses start getting sued for not collecting/paying sales tax, it could be a major problem for the online shopping industry. Not sure how likely that scenario is.

The ideal would be for the federal government to create a free site that assists with getting sales tax rates, and helps with paying/submitting sales tax forms to every state. Or even collects all the sales tax owed by a business, and then redistributes it to the states as necessary. That would have to be designed from scratch, though, so I wouldn't expect that for a LONG time, given how slowly government moves.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by Johnathan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:58 am

Just to note, I also now have an integration for Taxjar.com, if people want to use their services with OpenCart:

• TaxJar Integration

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by AM786 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:03 am

Let's see if Congress makes the requirements more simple, instead of having each state have its own systems of online taxation.