Post by snirp » Thu May 03, 2018 4:53 pm

I did an upgrade from 2.0.0 to 3.0.2 and ran into an error:

Code: Select all

[:error] [pid 26459] [client 92.108.86.200:57305] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught TypeError: Argument 2 passed to Event::trigger() must be of the type array, string given, called in /var/www/html/system/storage/modification/system/engine/loader.php on line 119 and defined in /var/www/html/system/engine/event.php:59\nStack trace:\n#0 /var/www/html/system/storage/modification/system/engine/loader.php(119): Event->trigger('language/en-gb/...', 'en-gb')\n#1 /var/www/html/system/framework.php(139): Loader->language('en-gb')\n#2 /var/www/html/system/startup.php(104): require_once('/var/www/html/s...')\n#3 /var/www/html/install/index.php(37): start('install')\n#4 {main}\n  thrown in /var/www/html/system/engine/event.php on line 59
The key bit seems to be that:

Argument 2 passed to Event::trigger() must be of the type array, string given
, and indeed the argument is

'en-gb'

From looking around, it seems that the error is most likely related to changes made in version 2.3.0, but I was not able to find the exact cause, nor how to resolve this.

Please advise.

Post by IP_CAM » Fri May 04, 2018 1:18 am

Well, did you get your old Version DB upgraded by a Professional, or did you
really expect it to still function, without beeing modified, to match OC-3?
But then, you did not read about it first around here ... 8)
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by snirp » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:11 pm

>Well, did you get your old Version DB upgraded by a Professional, or did you
really expect it to still function, without beeing modified, to match OC-3?

Not sure if you were meaning to snarky here, but I did attempt the upgrade path that should have worked for OpenCart. Apparently it did not work, although I think it should have, including a database upgrade.

Not sure what sort of professional I should have consulted. I am a developer myself, but with zero experience with PHP or OpenCart. I ended up making my own SQL scripts to do the database upgrade manually (2.0 to 3.0.2). That all seems to work now.

If anyone has any use for those scripts, please contact me. It was a bit of a pain because OpenCart uses a non-standard format for Null dates.

It would be great if OpenCart provided a viable upgrade path for webshops that are about as close to default as possible. Would have saved me about two days of work.

Post by IP_CAM » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:21 am

Well, by use of one of the popular Upgraders, like Qphoria, Peku, Osworx, e.t.c.,
you could have saved a lot of time. But there is nothing such as a 'Near By Default'
OC Installation, since a simple VqMod Extension, like a bloody Background Image Mod,
might insert it's own DB Table, or Table-Section, and this would already be the end of any
automatic (free!) upgrade attempt. Not to speak about those great-big Theme extensions,
like Journal, Pavo, e.t.c, largely adding their own customized Files and Code all over the place.

But you are free to accept it, but don't blame OC, if something does not match your
expectations, it came for free, and nobody ever forced anyone, to upgrade anything.
In contrary, this place is full of topics, telling the Readers, to better not even try ...
Good Luck, nothing personal ! ;)
Ernie

5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by snirp » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Certainly no offense taken. Let's just say that my experience with other open source communities has been quite different than with OpenCart. I am just genuinely surprised.

The mentality was certainly never: "it came for free, so if it's broken it's your problem". Judging by your experience, a robust extension system where third parties have guidelines to properly register their extensions would go a long way to prevent such issues. There is nothing to protect you from poorly coded or abandoned third party code, but these should at least not stand in the way of an upgrade of the core framework.

Anyways, it looks like it was actually an issue with OpenCart itself that prevented a proper upgrade in my case. Currently very underwhelmed at the experience with OpenCart (certainly nothing personal).

Post by IP_CAM » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:43 pm

my experience with other open source communities ...
Well, Fact is, that OpenCart is no community based Software, but just a
commercial Project, based on a unique idea, on how to create Income.
And the ONLY purpose of OpenCart is, to create income, for just about
everybody involved, so, it's all about competition too, in contrary to other
Projects.

And I was rather surprised, that it works, as it works, when I came to OC.
Still, it has some drawbacks, at least for those, expecting it to be a free
heaven of wisdom, shared by Fan's, just waiting to enable others, to get
rich quick, but without the need of much technical knowledge. But this is
not the case, despite of the fact, that some Fan's really exist, for a while
at least, eager and willing, to help others for free.

But there is a lot of cheating and stealing going on too, and many are trying
to get their share, in one or the other way, like everywhere else, where money
is waiting, to be made. And as a consequence of this, many turn away after a
while again, frustrated about the situation, that one is mostly surrounded by
hidden Unknowns, expecting free support, but very seldom, anything comes back.
For the vast majority, OC is a TAKE and GO, but sure no common Goal, because
everybody is everybody's potential Competitor as well, in a highly competitive
environment.

So, better take it, as it comes, but don't put any emotional feelings into it, or you
will be disappointed. But it's still a great Software, for those, able to handle it,
just don't expect more, then, you'll have no problem.
Ernie

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland