Post by thePCdoctor » Tue May 08, 2018 3:09 am

We are trying to use OC Version 3.0.2.0 to upload an extension. In previous versions we never had any issues.

However, with this version we get the following error when uploading and Extension:
The directory admin/controller/tool is not allowed to be written to!

We have looked at every thread and/or web pages that "seem" to deal with this error, but we have zero success. The permissions are all correct and we allowed OC to move "storage" correctly and confirmed the config settings as well.

When we upload the extension, we actually get a folder called tmp-GewRZjA6fT, inside that folder we see another folder called "upload" and the xml file. It seems to be clear that the permissions are in order otherwise we would expect to see nothing uploaded at all.

We have a client that want's to upgrade his site to this version, but we can't get past this hurdle so we are stalled at the moment.

Any ideas, suggestions or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Post by IP_CAM » Tue May 08, 2018 3:19 am

Well, you should better always mention, what Extensions you're trying to play around with,
if you expect any useful reply, especially under the aspect, that your'e playing Pro, in relation
to your Customer(s). 8)
But if an extension not only consists out of an ...ocmod.xml File, the content of the UPLOAD
Directory could always be uploaded by FTP, into their correct Subdirectories, instead of trying to get them
installed by the OC Extension Installer Routine. Just make sure, that such Subs do NOT contain Info Files
or other Crab, wich is unfortunately the case in some Mods.

Ernie
---

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by victorj » Tue May 08, 2018 4:56 am

check permissions for folder
admin/controller/tool

Koeltechnische deurrubbers eenvoudig online op maat bestellen.
Alle niet stekplichtige onderdelen zoals scharnieren, sloten, randverwarming en verlichting voor alle typen koelingen en vriezers.
https://koelcel-onderdelen.com

Expert Member

Location - Alkmaar Holland

Post by thePCdoctor » Tue May 08, 2018 5:47 am

victorj, thank you for this. I did check the permissions for "admin/controller/tool" and the permissions are rw. This is one of the first things we checked, I should have mentioned this in my op - my bad.

I've completely removed the entire site and db. Recreated the site folder(s), checked folder perms first, to make sure it isn't a permissions issue, I changed permissions to every folder recursively to "rw".

Then did a fresh install with the same error and results when uploading using the "Extension Installer".

The module we are trying to install is "Most Viewed Products: https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... load_id=55".

We've tried this on 2 different servers still no luck. I suppose we could work out the "Manual Process", but that is not the exercise here. The exercise (at least for me) at this point is to determine why we are getting the error, not to institute a "work around".

Again, thanks for the tip; if you have any other thoughts they would be appreciated. I am convinced it is a stupid error or missed step on my part but am at a loss as to what else to check.

Post by victorj » Tue May 08, 2018 5:55 am

Just downloaded the extension wich states to be a ocmod, but actually its a vqmod module, so you will have to upload it by ftp
make sure you also installed vqmod

Koeltechnische deurrubbers eenvoudig online op maat bestellen.
Alle niet stekplichtige onderdelen zoals scharnieren, sloten, randverwarming en verlichting voor alle typen koelingen en vriezers.
https://koelcel-onderdelen.com

Expert Member

Location - Alkmaar Holland

Post by IP_CAM » Tue May 08, 2018 6:23 am

Well, I only informed you about the 'shortcut' way, since a good range of
OcMod's are not created according some OC Version standards, and this
is not OC's fault. I just wanted to make sure, that you can fix the problem ASAP.
But since those Mods all work with VqMod, the matter now solved itself ! :D
Good Luck!
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by thePCdoctor » Tue May 08, 2018 7:29 am

Okay, got this figured out.

For whatever reason (see my comment about a "Stupid Error"!!!), I downloaded the wrong version. The error message sent me wondering off in the wrong direction to which everyone was more than helpful with "obvious" actions and roads to travel down.

Once the "correct" version was downloaded it worked like a charm.

So, my take away from this is to "look, read and look again".

I am grateful for the guidance and suggestions from all of your replies and will use these tips as future guidance.

Again, thank you all for taking your time to assist.

Cheers :)