Post by jpWalsh » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:00 pm

Been trying to install some new themes. A few require the contents of the upload file to be put into the root directory and others to the themes folder, why is this?

Post by IP_CAM » Tue May 01, 2018 5:45 am

Well, that's, because some LINK their Files, to be installed from the ROOT. And this is usually the case,
if a Theme does not only consist out of the Theme File Content, but also of other Subs and Files, possibly
adding some additional Code, Styles and Scripts, and/or some Admin Files, to make the Theme 'settable'
from the Admin.
In addition, some implement Custom Extensions. Journal and Pavo also belong to those Coders, and many
others as well. But just be aware, that some of them might have a dramatic effect on OC Compatibillity with
other existing Extensions. And some of those 'enhanced' Theme Installations cannot just be removed,
without eventually leaving a broken Shop.
So, better make sure first, with a total Backup Download, including a full Database, by use of the Server
Admin DB Tools. And check every File, before just uploading some unknown or even unwanted Code.
Good Luck! ;)
Ernie
---

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by jpWalsh » Tue May 01, 2018 5:57 am

TY for you answer. Can I assume that once installed in the root directory one is stuck with that theme or can changes still be made under settings?

Post by IP_CAM » Tue May 01, 2018 6:08 am

Well, a Theme is NOT a Theme, some only consist out of a single stylesheet.css File and
a Journal Setup, by example, might consist out of 1'730+ individual files, images included. :laugh:
You therefore need to talk Facts &Figures, before getting a useful reply.
Ernie

5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by jpWalsh » Tue May 01, 2018 6:52 am

For example, I tried installing a theme that instructions said install in the root (I later found out) using the method I was familiar with, into catalog/view/themes. I gave it a name and uploaded the image, template and stylesheet folders. Nothing appeared except the default theme.

If I put those same folders in the root directory, can I still use settings>store>template to change the theme?

Post by IP_CAM » Tue May 01, 2018 12:07 pm

Well, you cannot (always) add your own Theme Name, it widely depends on,
if the Theme Linking (usually in the header.tpl file) is 'hard-coded', to use
a 'given' Theme Directory-Name or not.
Hardcoded:

Code: Select all

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="catalog/view/theme/Zerocart-yellow/stylesheet/stylesheet.css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="catalog/view/theme/Zerocart-yellow/stylesheet/responsive.css" />
Not hardcoded:

Code: Select all

<link href="catalog/view/theme/<?php echo $this->config->get('config_template'); ?>/stylesheet/bootstrap.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<link href="catalog/view/theme/<?php echo $this->config->get('config_template'); ?>/stylesheet/bootstrap-responsive.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
---
If I put those same folders in the root directory, can I still use settings>store>template to change the theme?
As I mentioned above, deliever facts ...
---
Ernie

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland