Post by colourcraft » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:22 am

We are looking to install 2.3.0.2 as our main opencart store. Do you think its best to use the downloadable version that Opencart itself provides, or would the Zipped version from Github be a better choice, seeing as this is now not the current activer version.

I'm thinking the Github one would be better, as it appears to have additional bug fixes included, but I'm unsure as a production site version.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I dont want to move to Version 3, as we require custom PHp coding on some of our template pages, and I'm more familiar with PHP than twig. Also, it seems to me that as 2.3 is a more mature version, there will be less bugs.

Post by OSWorX » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:30 pm

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by Johnathan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:30 pm

While I can't speak to the link posted above, my general policy is: don't ever use the github version for a live store. While it may have bugfixes, it also usually contains code updates for the next version, which are often not fully completed. You'll likely to experience issues if you use a github version.

Sadly, this means lots of bugfixes don't make it into an official release until the NEXT new version is released. (Yes, everyone is frustrated by this.) What you'll probably want to do is either inspect the github issue log (if you are comfortable doing that) and find the bugfixes that need to be applied, or visit the 2.3.0.2 bug topic in the forum, and apply any fixes listed there manually.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by OSWorX » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:05 am

Johnathan wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:30 pm
While I can't speak to the link posted above ..
Simply the official GH repo of OpenCart for official Releases.
While you never can be sure that the downloads from here are original (means no 'silent' updates have bee made as we had this a few years ago!), the Github version is untouched and published since the 1st of August 2016.

Of course, you can use also use this link to the offical Download here:
https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... load_id=47
But with this link you have the risk to download a 'modified' release (means as described above).

And - finally - 2.3.0.2 was - and is - the latest working release.
Has a few small bugs which can be easily solved - nothing serious.
Just search this forum here or check the GH bugtracker.

Until now I am always using only the downloads fron Github - never ever had any problems.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by Johnathan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:04 am

Ah, I see. I always use the official release links (since I need to know what other people are downloading for my extensions) but if it's the official 2.3.0.2 release, then it should work fine from github as well.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator